Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Regular season record and seeding: predictions

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The thunder lost tonight, which is super helpful for the pelicans, our odds of making the plan, or looking very, very promising. And amazingly, the kings lost to a tanking spurs team.

GS lost!! Half game out of fifth!!!

Would rather 6th than 5th.

Regardless. The path to no play-in is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Would rather 6th than 5th.

Regardless. The path to no play-in is right there.
    I agree; we probably don't have enough individual defense to beat PHX four out of seven. I'd rather Sacrament, Denver, or Memphis (probably in that order).

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    tonight was a pretty darned good "off night."

Rookie
    I wouldn’t mind the Lakers getting 5th and us getting 6th.

The best-case scenario is to get the 6th spot, play the inexperienced Kings in the first round, and have the Nuggets, Suns, and Warriors at the 1,4, and 5 spots on the other side of the playoff bracket.

Hall of Famer
    5th seed means the suns and Kevin durant

This might be a week of chicken

Problem is if you play like that you could be in the play in lose and be out

Crazy

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    5th seed means the suns and Kevin durant

This might be a week of chicken

Problem is if you play like that you could be in the play in lose and be out

Crazy
    Yeah, I think the goal has to be to win out. Plus if you want to be champs, you should be fine with seeing any team.

If Zion comes back. And better yet if Jose is back also, they can beat the suns. Would be a fantastic series and only the Lakers/Suns would be more anticipated in round 1.

But if it was me out there, I'd rather not have to walk on hot coals through rose bushes right off the bat.

Plus sacramento will be well motivated give nobody will give them a chance. And it's there first playoffs in 20 years. iPhones didn't even exist when they last made the playoffs. Thats a good enough test.

If Zion comes back. And better yet if Jose is back also, they can beat the suns. Would be a fantastic series and only the Lakers/Suns would be more anticipated in round 1.

But if it was me out there, I'd rather not have to walk on hot coals through rose bushes right off the bat.

Plus sacramento will be well motivated give nobody will give them a chance. And it's there first playoffs in 20 years. iPhones didn't even exist when they last made the playoffs. Thats a good enough test.
    I truly believe the teams that would be the worst matchups for the Pels would be the Suns, Lakers, and GS in that order.

Suns: Are you going to put Herb on Booker or Durant? Who will guard the other. Then there's CP3, Does that mean CJ? YIKES!!! Ayton owned JV last year, could this be round 2?

Lakers: I can't see anybody on our roster slowing down AD with the way he's playing right now. Herb might be able to frustrate LeWhiner, but who would stop Russell. I think BI could negate Reaves, but do we think 3M3 (or # 1) could handle Vanderbilt or Hachimura? JV would have to play defense way above his head for our team to beat them in seven.

Warriors: These guys are the "referee darlings of the NBA". They get away with 'launching; more than anybody else in the NBA (other than LeBum, maybe). And, there is no way that our guard play can hang with theirs (Curry, Thompson, Poole, and DiVincenzo). Again, JV would be the key. (would love to see healthy #1 man up on Green. though).

Won't Bow Down!!! (But need to be realistic)

BTW: I would target Donte' DiVincenzo in the offseason. To date, he has not exercised his Player Option for next year.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    The Story is still lining up for the Pels to have the season we thought. A lot of people thought 4-6 seed etc?.. 6 is still attainable. They need to get healthy and continue to use all of the pieces on offense. If they continue to do that and not revert to iso ball and CJ playing within the offense, I can see them doing some serious damage. Imagine if they had just used Jonas, Trey, and Herb this much all year. I love the plays they have set for Trey. You can really tell those are drawing adjustments from the defense which allows BI to wreak havoc on the midrange area. It?s amazing what forcing everyone to be guarded can do for an offense. Quite frankly, if it wasn?t for the refs, the Pels defense would be elite. Hopefully, they can finally break this damn disease of losing. The injuries will slow down too. The guys are very young and will only learn more on how to take care of their bodies. BI will for sure. Z will eventually learn to listen to his body as well.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 04-03-2023 at 10:46 AM.

As topsy turvy as this year has been, just want to point out the Pelicans will finish the year with a top 10 defense. Currently tied for 5th.

Last year of the top ten, 2 lost in the play-in and 2 lost in the 1st round. The other 6 made to at least the 2nd round.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    As topsy turvy as this year has been, just want to point out the Pelicans will finish the year with a top 10 defense. Currently tied for 5th.

Last year of the top ten, 2 lost in the play-in and 2 lost in the 1st round. The other 6 made to at least the 2nd round.
    Oh the defense has been so good for a while now but they just were bricking the hell out of the ball and teams were running them. If the Pels can get set, they are a ref foul away from being elite. CJ is the only issue but BI, Trey, and Herb have enough length to disrupt the guards. Sub Dyson in for Cj and running that same group is downright unfair, but they just struggle to score with Dyson. Dyson developing offense is a serious key going forward, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    If the Pels can get set, they are a ref foul away from being elite.
    Seriously, who are you?

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Oh the defense has been so good for a while now but they just were bricking the hell out of the ball and teams were running them. If the Pels can get set, they are a ref foul away from being elite. CJ is the only issue but BI, Trey, and Herb have enough length to disrupt the guards. Sub Dyson in for Cj and running that same group is downright unfair, but they just struggle to score with Dyson. Dyson developing offense is a serious key going forward, in my opinion.
    this is correct...our defense is awful when we are not deep and set after teams rebound the ball and push the pace...we have given up to many easy buckets in situations like this..

Think Dyson's poor offense pushed him out the lineup from mid Jan. (post injury) to mid March? We were losing anyway, I really wanted to see him get PT to develop for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Seriously, who are you?
    The question is, did someone hack that account last week or this week? Lol

I just got back in from soccer. Im exhausted and my inhibitions are lowered....so I'm going to open up this can of bad joojoo and say openly that if we get Zion back before the postseason and Jose back somewhere in the postseason.....we will have finally shed off the injury bug and be the healthiest team in the playoffs.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Here we go. "Fixing" things already smdh

If the Pels beat the Kings and the Grizz win tonight, that will almost guarantee the Grizz at least a top 2 seed.

Maybe the Pels get that laker treatment tomorrow. It is a road b2b for Memphis.

If the Pels beat the Kings and the Grizz win tonight, that will almost guarantee the Grizz at least a top 2 seed.

Maybe the Pels get that laker treatment tomorrow. It is a road b2b for Memphis.
    You make a good point. I think the Grizzlies would want to see the Pelicans to end up sixth; not seventh. If the Pelicans ended up in seventh, that's their potential first round match up with # 1 on the court. All this, of course, is conjecture; they may see the Pelicans as a preferable opponent in the playoffs.

Minny won tn, Lakers won tn, we lost. Mem tm... Oohwee

Lakers vs Clippers tonight. At least one will win, which makes getting the 6 tougher.

I despise the Lakers but could see wanting them to win, if only because I can't see the officials allowing the Lakers to lose a play-in game.

The most likely route to #6 now is, unfortunately, a Laker win.

Those bastiges almost lost to Utah's B- team too.

Thread Information