Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jose/Nance/Zion Injuries

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    JAX definitely has the physical tools to excel. In year one, I called for them to ship him off to Erie (G.League) because he was very new to the game. The wise guys of the forum thought I was nuts and said he would develop much faster in NO. Now, three coaches later, he shows little, if any, improvement. It was on JAX to become an NBA player, but the organization did very little to develop him.

Physical talent like his doesn't come around every day. Too bad many want to give up on him at age 22. I guess they were the same folks who labeled BI a bust at 22.

Aside: He already shows one ability the guy drafted by the Pelicans ahead of him in '19 doesn't......avail-ABILITY. Just Sayin'
    He has fire too and grit. He has the desire to be good and you can see that he is getting better at rolling to the rim and things like that. Last game, he had several nice slips and BI just didn’t give it to him. CJ and BI really need to learn how to trust their teammates on these cuts and wide open shots. Most people shoot better when they catch it in rhythm and the Pels just don’t seem to ever have any momentum in their sets. I just can’t understand it with all the gravity that three of their players receive on each touch. Not many teams have three players that require a complete collapse onto. The lack of production is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    He has fire too and grit. He has the desire to be good and you can see that he is getting better at rolling to the rim and things like that. Last game, he had several nice slips and BI just didn?t give it to him. CJ and BI really need to learn how to trust their teammates on these cuts and wide open shots. Most people shoot better when they catch it in rhythm and the Pels just don?t seem to ever have any momentum in their sets. I just can?t understand it with all the gravity that three of their players receive on each touch. Not many teams have three players that require a complete collapse onto. The lack of production is mind boggling.
    ....which is why we need a legitimate point guard. Indeed, you are right. We're asking BI to work for his shot and the shots of everyone else (including airballs) while fighting double and triple teams. Everyone seems to forget how important Rondo was in the Pelican's sweep of Portland five years ago (especially important to Jrue Holiday, who was money in that series).

Also, I'm afraid we overrate our roster considerably. Most of our players are one dimensional.
    Last edited by As I See It; 03-01-2023 at 07:46 PM.

Season Ticket Holder
    ....which is why we need a legitimate point guard. Indeed, you are right. We're asking BI to work for his shot and the shots of everyone else (including airballs) while fighting double and triple teams. Everyone seems to forget how important Rondo was in the Pelican's sweep of Portland five years ago (especially important to Jrue Holiday, who was money in that series).

Also, I'm afraid we overrate our roster considerably. Most of our players are one dimensional.
    I agree that we need a true point guard to run the offense. And last night showed us that JV isn't long for this roster. I love this team, but we need to make serious moves this offseason.

Most of our players are young and are still in the prove it stage in the NBA.
    As for Pg, personally I think we have our future point guard in Dyson Daniels. At least I hope so. He definitely has a pass first mentality, and while I think he’ll never be a great offensive player, I think he has the tools to be good enough, especially if he’s playing along guys who can get their own shots like Zion, BI, and CJ.

I’m hoping he progresses enough in the offseason to put him in the starting lineup. The main thing I think we don’t have on our roster is rim protecting center, that’s mobile enough to switch on to guys on the perimeter. You can get away with starting three meh defenders, like CJ, BI, and Zion, if you put someone like Dyson that can stop the point of attack, and put a mobile defender at the 5.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    As for Pg, personally I think we have our future point guard in Dyson Daniels. At least I hope so. He definitely has a pass first mentality, and while I think he’ll never be a great offensive player, I think he has the tools to be good enough, especially if he’s playing along guys who can get their own shots like Zion, BI, and CJ.

I’m hoping he progresses enough in the offseason to put him in the starting lineup. The main thing I think we don’t have on our roster is rim protecting center, that’s mobile enough to switch on to guys on the perimeter. You can get away with starting three meh defenders, like CJ, BI, and Zion, if you put someone like Dyson that can stop the point of attack, and put a mobile defender at the 5.
    Yes, in a perfect world, Dyson is our starting PG. This would allow us to move Herb to the bench. Dyson could guard the opposition's best scorer. Well, in a perfect world, Scoot is our PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Yes, in a perfect world, Dyson is our starting PG. This would allow us to move Herb to the bench. Dyson could guard the opposition's best scorer. Well, in a perfect world, Scoot is our PG.
    In my perfect world I'd have Wemby as our C.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    In my perfect world I'd have Wemby as our C.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    As for Pg, personally I think we have our future point guard in Dyson Daniels. At least I hope so. He definitely has a pass first mentality, and while I think he?ll never be a great offensive player, I think he has the tools to be good enough, especially if he?s playing along guys who can get their own shots like Zion, BI, and CJ.

I?m hoping he progresses enough in the offseason to put him in the starting lineup. The main thing I think we don?t have on our roster is rim protecting center, that?s mobile enough to switch on to guys on the perimeter. You can get away with starting three meh defenders, like CJ, BI, and Zion, if you put someone like Dyson that can stop the point of attack, and put a mobile defender at the 5.
    Dyson's problem is that he is too timid right now. And I get the feeling Willie is a big part of the problem

Going back, I would have taken Jalen Williams at 8. Maybe even Sochan. Isn't it funny how OKC never seems to miss on their picks

Part of a larger issue. Since taking over Pels Griff & Co. have made 6 first round draft picks, all in the lottery or lottery adjacent (after trading back).

In the last month, entering the make or break part of the season, how much have any of them contributed?

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Part of a larger issue. Since taking over Pels Griff & Co. have made 6 first round draft picks, all in the lottery or lottery adjacent (after trading back).

In the last month, entering the make or break part of the season, how much have any of them contributed?
    Dyson: Too early to tell but seems to have the physical skills AND intellect to excel in this game.
    3M3: Defensive liability who has one talent (shooting) that has proven to be very streaky so far and can jump (but for what purpose)
    Kira: Unfortunately, his progress has been retarded by injury. He has lightening speed, but will in translate? Probably not in NO
    NAW: Used as part of the CJ trade. Rounding into a competent role player in Minnesota
    JAX: All the physical tools needed to excel in the game of basketball, but lacks the know-how. Pelicans have not done him right. Needs change of scenery/
    # 1: Lacks the most important ability to be HoF level NBA player.

Season Ticket Holder
    No Richardson tonight.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    No Richardson tonight.
    richardson was listed day to day last game...got to put some money on naji and trey tonight..

Thread Information