Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: February 13th - New Orleans Pelicans @ OKC Thunder - 29-28

Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    He might change his mind when he sees Herb Jones is playing. He ain't risking it to miss the all star game

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    He doesn?t have bowed legs. He has the opposite (his knees are closer together) which puts extra stress on the joints of his lower extremities hence why he is so injury prone at his size and why he has had significant injuries to all major joints of his lower extremities (hip, knee, ankle/foot). The team won?t talk about this publicly, but it?s medical truth. Zion is like a Ferrari that you can only drive 1000 miles a year.
    Are you a medical professional, and if so, what is your position?

Do you have a relationship with the team and their conversations to know their thoughts and opinions?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Anyway, despite infighting and grumpy people, good win!!

Those refs were doing everything they can for Thunder to win this game. Pathetic. Nice win Pels !!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    No way he costs that much. MLE at most, but likely less. He doesn?t score or shoot consistently . He will sign with a contender. Players like him always do. We had the pipe dream of being a contender but then Pels life?
    You may be right, but he's making +12MM right now before becoming an UFA. Being on the open market should only help him unless he grossly underplaying his contract.

Remember, JHart got a three year 38MM deal three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Willie trusts his vets, even if this is his first game coaching them.
    Point is: Pelicans fans grossly overrate this roster sans BI and maybe CJ.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I think a little bit of that. And a lot of coaching issues that make the young guys look silly. They clearly aren’t being developed that well. Insert Jrich who was just under Popovich and you see a guy that knows how to see the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I think a little bit of that. And a lot of coaching issues that make the young guys look silly. They clearly aren’t being developed that well. Insert Jrich who was just under Popovich and you see a guy that knows how to see the court.
    I truly agree with that. Our player development sucks.

...JAX, blessed with unbelievable physical talent, has actually regressed. (four years in system)

...NAW came in undisciplined and left undisciplined (three years in system)

...# 1 has not added to his game (four years in system)

...Kira seems to be as he was when he arrived (three years in system)

...Trey cannot defend to save his life. (two years in system)

Truly, if they didn't stumble into Herb, Jose, and Naji, I don't know where we would be in terms of our player development (evaluation).

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    You may be right, but he's making +12MM right now before becoming an UFA. Being on the open market should only help him unless he grossly underplaying his contract.

Remember, JHart got a three year 38MM deal three years ago.
    Hart's was intentionally structured to make it easier to trade (including an interesting player/team option). I could see Griff offering a similar deal to Richardson which would leave our options open in a potential trade situation.

I assume you must also be including all the media and all the NBA experts because they consistently say the Pelicans when healthy have a very deep roster. But somehow you're the expert.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    I assume you must also be including all the media and all the NBA experts because they consistently say the Pelicans when healthy have a very deep roster. But somehow you're the expert.
    Yeah, we "stumbled" into Herb, Jose, and Naji. Trey is having a breakout season, although d needs to improve. Jax was always a boom or bust, but we have actually developed him pretty well, considering that he started to play bball in high school. Kira has had injuries so the verdict is still out on him. And NAW was used in a trade that got us a few major contributors. But, somehow we are grossly overrating a roster that many from outside the org feels is the deepest in the league. You and I are just dumb I guess

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    I don't really understand why fans like As I See it & FedUpFan even watch. When you choose to only see the negatives, it can't be much fun! Giving this team zero credit for any talent evaluation or development is just ridiculous. Not saying it's all roses, but come on now.

Which is why they can still go into the ASB tied for 4th in the West without BI and Z mostly..../s sigh

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    I don't really understand why fans like As I See it & FedUpFan even watch. When you choose to only see the negatives, it can't be much fun! Giving this team zero credit for any talent evaluation or development is just ridiculous. Not saying it's all roses, but come on now.
    I love watching them (never miss a game) and root for them tirelessly.

If you only see the fluff and choose to be blind to the vinegar. good for you (in a way, I actually envy you). Don't slam me, though, for seeing the whole picture; it's who I am and who I want to be. The fact that a player we picked up literally four days ago (and has only participated in one team shoot-around) played more minutes then anyone else on the roster and was key to winning this game (see thread title), speaks volumes as to where this roster is at. With #1 being out and CJ sitting out, there were all kinds of opportunities for OUR players to step up. Did they really? I mean we weren't playing the Bucks or the Celtics, for goodness sakes.

Look, I love the city of New Orleans...period. Hopefully you do, too. If you choose to parse the facts to put the most positive light on it, good for you, but nothing will ever change if you do. I see the city in its entirety (warts and all), and know that this city is failing its people massively. I'm not willing to accept the mediocrity (if not worse) in the city, and will say so. In the end, however, do I love New Orleans? You bet I do!!

ASIDE: Your guy is showing improved play-making ability recently (whether its by design or otherwise), and his three blocked shots were huge. But that doesn't change the fact that defensively he has miles to go before he is just average on that end of the floor.

Season Ticket Holder

If you only see the fluff and choose to be blind to the vinegar. good for you (in a way, I actually envy you). Don't slam me, though, for seeing the whole picture; it's who I am and who I want to be. The fact that a player we picked up literally four days ago (and has only participated in one team shoot-around) played more minutes then anyone else on the roster and was key to winning this game (see thread title), speaks volumes as to where this roster is at. With #1 being out and CJ sitting out, there were all kinds of opportunities for OUR players to step up. Did they really? I mean we weren't playing the Bucks or the Celtics, for goodness sakes.

Look, I love the city of New Orleans...period. Hopefully you do, too. If you choose to parse the facts to put the most positive light on it, good for you, but nothing will ever change if you do. I see the city in its entirety (warts and all), and know that this city is failing its people massively. I'm not willing to accept the mediocrity (if not worse) in the city, and will say so. In the end, however, do I love New Orleans? You bet I do!!

ASIDE: Your guy is showing improved play-making ability recently (whether its by design or otherwise), and his three blocked shots were huge. But that doesn't change the fact that defensively he has miles to go before he is just average on that end of the floor.
    Dude. You refuse to refer to Zion by his name. You are a hater. Yes, the word "hater" is overused, but in your case, it fits.

You claim that if you're positive all the time, nothing will change. That is true for some things, but not for sports fandom. There is literally nothing we fans can do to impact the outcome of a game. What we write on this message board is 100% irrelevant. You're a negative guy, That is okay, Just admit it and stop defending yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Dude. You refuse to refer to Zion by his name. You are a hater. Yes, the word "hater" is overused, but in your case, it fits.

You claim that if you're positive all the time, nothing will change. That is true for some things, but not for sports fandom. There is literally nothing we fans can do to impact the outcome of a game. What we write on this message board is 100% irrelevant. You're a negative guy, That is okay, Just admit it and stop defending yourself.
    Then, my friend, I advise you to skip over any post by 'As I See It', because that's how I will always call it.

I don’t understand why fans like neworleanshoo that been here since 2002, are not be able to look at both the ups and the downs. I look for improvement as that is the way to win a title. You can sit there and pretend everything is good, but I got through life and achieved my success by constantly looking for ways to improve in everything I do. If you want to pretend a bad situation is always good, do that. That’s not me. When they do good, I credit them. When they do bad like blow a 20 point lead by going small for no reason, I call it out. I’m also someone that has coached and played basketball for 30 years. So, I just give my opinion based on experience and not what Jake madison says is correct. The Pels have one of the worst half court offenses I have seen. Yet, he thinks they are good there. They weren’t able to get Jonas good looks at all in the second half. Even though, the game plan was pretty simple. Attack them with bigs. No WHG, but an injured Larry was the better route. Come on man. Lol. I won’t even go into how much money I have spent on this team over the last 20 years, by going to away games all over the place. Yeah cause I’m tired of them being mediocre, I shouldn’t watch.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 02-14-2023 at 01:37 PM.

Don’t speak facts bro. The positive people are here to tell us that smoke doesn’t mean a fire.

Zion will probably need load management to an extent but I think it?s a matter of him not getting carried away with jumping and handling literally every possession. He was taking on a MASSIVE workload that he shouldn?t have regardless of whether we need it or not. No player should be asked to do that much and be expected to stay healthy. Also, stop throwing crazy alley oops at him. It?s not that he can?t it?s just that his arms are short and he puts himself in danger every time we chuck a wayward pass at the rim. I?ve seen him scowl at Jose and others a few times with that. Aim for Trey if anyone for that he has the length.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Zion will probably need load management to an extent but I think it?s a matter of him not getting carried away with jumping and handling literally every possession. He was taking on a MASSIVE workload that he shouldn?t have regardless of whether we need it or not. No player should be asked to do that much and be expected to stay healthy. Also, stop throwing crazy alley oops at him. It?s not that he can?t it?s just that his arms are short and he puts himself in danger every time we chuck a wayward pass at the rim. I?ve seen him scowl at Jose and others a few times with that. Aim for Trey if anyone for that he has the length.
    To add to this I think Zion just needs to get better at shooting so he can play off ball more. That way he can preserve himself better as well

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    To add to this I think Zion just needs to get better at shooting so he can play off ball more. That way he can preserve himself better as well
    100%. It’s in his best interest to protect his own body by learning to shoot the mid range. Not to mention, that athleticism won’t be there after 30 unless he is Lebron.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 02-14-2023 at 01:43 PM.

I don’t understand why fans like neworleanshoo that been here since 2002, are not be able to look at both the ups and the downs. I look for improvement as that is the way to win a title. You can sit there and pretend everything is good, but I got through life and achieved my success by constantly looking for ways to improve in everything I do. If you want to pretend a bad situation is always good, do that. That’s not me. When they do good, I credit them. When they do bad like blow a 20 point lead by going small for no reason, I call it out. I’m also someone that has coached and played basketball for 30 years. So, I just give my opinion based on experience and not what Jake madison says is correct. The Pels have one of the worst half court offenses I have seen. Yet, he thinks they are good there. They weren’t able to get Jonas good looks at all in the second half. Even though, the game plan was pretty simple. Attack them with bigs. No WHG, but an injured Larry was the better route. Come on man. Lol. I won’t even go into how much money I have spent on this team over the last 20 years, by going to away games all over the place. Yeah cause I’m tired of them being mediocre, I shouldn’t watch.
    Think about it...

In the second half OKC doubled and triple teamed BI and JV. That leaves the other four players being guarded by two or three players. You would think someone other the guy who just landed in town or GTA would step up. But all the others were MIA. It literally took two 'impossible shots' by BI to win the game. We scored exactly 43 points in the second half.

So, last night, it's one of two things:

1. Coaching failed us at halftime
    2. Our players weren't good enough.

Neither appeals to me, but I hope it's # 1.

Think about it...

In the second half OKC doubled and triple teamed BI and JV. That leaves the other four players being guarded by two or three players. You would think someone other the guy who just landed in town or GTA would step up. But all the others were MIA. It literally took two 'impossible shots' by BI to win the game. We scored exactly 43 points in the second half.

So, last night, it's one of two things:

1. Coaching failed us at halftime
    2. Our players weren't good enough.

Neither appeals to me, but I hope it's # 1.
    100%. So, when that happens they dribble the shot clock all the way down by still trying to feed it there, because they can’t get them open.

On the other side, all of OKCs rookies look drastically improved since the beginning of the season. I didn’t think we could stop the guard Williams and he’s a rookie. Could you imagine if Dyson improved his game that much by midseason? This team would be unstoppable. We are just hoping Dyson can finish a layup at this point. His defense is superb, but that’s the part he was already good at. Develop his offense and I’ll believe.

On the other side, all of OKCs rookies look drastically improved since the beginning of the season. I didn’t think we could stop the guard Williams and he’s a rookie. Could you imagine if Dyson improved his game that much by midseason? This team would be unstoppable. We are just hoping Dyson can finish a layup at this point. His defense is superb, but that’s the part he was already good at. Develop his offense and I’ll believe.
    I'm very high on Dyson. I only hope that he's a Pelican when he flourishes.

Thread Information