Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline Stuff - [League Wide] - 2023

One thing I will say is the more assets you have the more likely teams will play hardball with you and make a lesser deal out of spite. I wouldn’t be surprised if teams tried to fleece us and we just dipped out of deals for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I would have been tryna flip Herb, Jax, Devonte and picks into Mikal Bridges as part of the Durant trade.
    Didn't seem he was available though.. the grizz wanted him as well but nets shot it down.

I would've like what the lakers got in Beasley and Vanderbilt for the price they paid

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    "Fantastic" Is a contending team

Derrick Favors
    Eric Bledsoe
    Steven Adams (Two 1st)
    Devonte Graham (1st round pick)

Then, you keeping Alvin Gentry and paying SVG to be at home.

Please quit being delusional. It's a fine, good roster that he manage dig himself out of the own hole that he got himself in... It's not remotely close to a fantastic roster
    You can talk about Derrick Favors all you want. I care about where we are NOW. We have a fantastic roster. We will contend these playoffs.

Basketball Guru
    i went on youtube and watch some of josh play...im in on dude..he can shoot the 3 and he like to play defense and thats good enough for me..

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'm just glad Willie can't play Devonte anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i went on youtube and watch some of josh play...im in on dude..he can shoot the 3 and he like to play defense and thats good enough for me..
    Yea I think J-Rich was a smart guy to target while shedding Devonte future money. Dyson, J-Rich & Herb on the floor together is gonna be interesting defensively. Wonder if we'll ever see it.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Yea I think J-Rich was a smart guy to target while shedding Devonte future money. Dyson, J-Rich & Herb on the floor together is gonna be interesting defensively. Wonder if we'll ever see it.
    right...dont know when dyson is up to return from his injury so if we do see it, it may be right before the playoffs..

I'm just glad we got a wing defender that can actually make jump shots. Maybe not Steph Curry-like but he's respectable from out there.

We're not title contenders YET so it didn't make sense to sell the farm for guys that will kill our growth and young player development. In 2 years we're gonna be a real problem if Griff doesn't screw this up.

right...dont know when dyson is up to return from his injury so if we do see it, it may be right before the playoffs..
    Hes listed as a game time decision on the injury report. My guess is just after the all star break. Probably going to get him and Zion back around the same time.

Rookie
    Serge Ibaka and Dedmon were waived. Just incase we needed another big man.

Yep, he is Willie Green’s type of player. An aggressive wing defender.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Hes listed as a game time decision on the injury report. My guess is just after the all star break. Probably going to get him and Zion back around the same time.
    I’m ready for this post all star break run.

Most likely this is an avocado season for the Pels and they just need to try and finish the year strong. The goal should be a good first round series. Maybe contest for home court, get healthy and get a sense of BI and Zion playing together so we can finally get a sense of what is needed around them before we're neck deep in luxery tax. Getting below the tax and lowering next season's salary is good. Trades at the deadline often include huge overpays (not so sure we saw too many this season but it's totally possible that the asking price for some of those on the block like OG could have been. I wish we would have looked at Sadiq Bey and Jakob Poetl for their prices but, meh. I think offseason trades are better for getting value, especially if we have a better idea of what we're building towards and what is needed. I'm not super excited either way. Richardson showed a lot of promise when he was in Miami but hasn't lived up to it since. This gives him a team with decent culture to try and see what he can do and see if he fits in. If he does then great, we can resign him or sign and trade him. If not, cool, he's gone at the end of the season. We all knew Graham wasn't the answer so it's good to see him move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Great acquisition. I like it a lot. Can defend and can shoot, his 3P% is down this year but that's on an awful Spurs team. I just feel he'll be a likeable player too.

When Zion is back I can see him drawing defenders and having CJ, JRich and Trey waiting for a kick out.

Has hit some clutch shots in the past too which adds a lot.

If you say this is an underwhelming trade then maybe you should follow the Lakers if you want to be overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    Great acquisition. I like it a lot. Can defend and can shoot, his 3P% is down this year but that's on an awful Spurs team. I just feel he'll be a likeable player too.
    He's an exceptionally mid-tier defender and his 3pt shooting not much to write home about. Will be league average on mid-level volume, which is cool as someone who shouldn't even crack the healthy playoff rotation, but it's hardly thrilling stuff. 35.7% this year, 41.5% the year prior, 33.0% the year before that, 34.1% the year before that, 35.7% the year before that.
    Basketball.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Durant traded to Suns. Not good for us....

We better be healthy for the 2nd half of the season or we are gonna get buried.
    Last edited by ragincaucasian; 02-09-2023 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's an exceptionally mid-tier defender and his 3pt shooting not much to write home about. Will be league average on mid-level volume, which is cool as someone who shouldn't even crack the healthy playoff rotation, but it's hardly thrilling stuff. 35.7% this year, 41.5% the year prior, 33.0% the year before that, 34.1% the year before that, 35.7% the year before that.
    Yeah but you're just being a pessimist. We got rid of the worst of our small guards for someone who can be serviceable and better defensively than Graham for the rest of this year.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I heard on a podcast that this was a good salary dump. The person said that with this money they have saved, they can resign a player or two who they might not be able to resign.

This is merely an attempt to get more out of the 12.6MM we were paying DG. We get a chance to test drive JRich and see if the gravity of our star-power can improve his numbers and if not, it becomes a salary dump.

The more interesting questions going forward....

1. Are we going to let JAX walk (QO: 9.2MM)?
    2. What, if any, is JV's role on this team going forward?
    3. After we've kicked the tires, is Josh Richardson a keeper (and at what price)?
    4. Will we extend Herb this summer or not (RFA in '24)? If so, what will it look like?
    5. Will we exercise the club option on Naji (1.93MM) or offer an extension?
    6. Who do we draft?
    7. Where will the retirement party be for GT?

Also, we have to exercise our club option on Jose' (the end of June).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Get Zion back along with Dyson and as the season progresses I think we will remind everyone who runs this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Kira Lewis probably benefits the most as he is much more likely to get some consistent minutes now. It was a boring trade deadline for us but I'm glad we did not overpay by giving up assets to add a mid level non all star caliber player.

Quote Originally Posted by bustah View Post
    Yeah but you're just being a pessimist. We got rid of the worst of our small guards for someone who can be serviceable and better defensively than Graham for the rest of this year.
    I'm not being pessimistic. Like I said earlier in the thread, I don't hate the move in a vacuum, it just doesn't excite me. We made a trade where the primary benefit is financial, because we're a playoff team and so the moves we make regarding players who shouldn't touch the floor in the playoffs (which is true of both Graham and Richardson) are hardly going to make me too hype. Richardson might be a perfectly serviceable 10th man (he probably will be) but that doesn't mean we have to be unrealistic about who he is as a player.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    In the offseason I think you let Jaxson walk. Temple will be gone and you probably won't be resigning Richardson. Those moves alone save $24m vs. this current season's cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Most likely this is an avocado season for the Pels
    Creamy and delicious?

Well guys, the team is no better today than it was yesterday but on the plus side, we got rid of all those annoying 2nd round picks and our billionaire owner will save some cash on the luxury tax next year, maybe.

Hooray!
    I mean, we'd have sold the picks for cash anyway, so 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other really...

Thread Information