Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: January 28th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Washington Wizards - 26-23

Hmmmm seems like Zion's health is the heart of the team.

It just wavered off after a few games without him

I'm not sure anyone is to 'blame' the team just kinda lost its fight and confidence. Willie has to not overreact and keep trusting the guys to figure it out. They should snap out of it soon.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    People calling Willie a "complete clown" are literally clueless.
    People who don’t realize Willie has sucked is clueless. I’d challenge my basketball coaching ability and knowledge Vs yours any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post

I'm not sure anyone is to 'blame' the team just kinda lost its fight and confidence. Willie has to not overreact and keep trusting the guys to figure it out. They should snap out of it soon.
    How about Willie figuring it out. He’s the idiot playing Graham down 16 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post

That's the impact of a top 15 player.

With him, we go on winstreaks without BI and CJ.

Without him, we get steamrolled by anyone and everyone.

MVP level impact is hard to replace and it's what he was giving us.
    Basketball.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    People who don’t realize Willie has sucked is clueless. I’d challenge my basketball coaching ability and knowledge Vs yours any day of the week.
    You literally disappear anytime we're winning. You have nothing positive to say about this team, ever. If you can't see all the reasons for optimism about this franchise, I don't know what to tell you, but it's not worth the effort anyway because you're only interested in spewing your negativity.

Yes, there have been some questionable coaching decisions that have contributed to the losing streak. But nobody (reasonable) would dispute that Willie, like most of our players, is to a large degree learning on the job and will go through some growing pains, himself. That's part of the deal when you hire a young & unproven coach.

When we get healthy and right the ship and make it to the conference finals, we'll revisit this thread.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    How about Willie figuring it out. He?s the idiot playing Graham down 16 points.
    I'm not a Devonte fan, but he's the only one that's been making threes lately. At that point of the game, I think he was 3 for 5 from long-range. He wound up 3 for 6. You don't want Trey out there - and god knows Herb is shouldn't be an option - so who do you propose that we play right now when we're in a major hole and we need an outside shooting threat?
    Last edited by neworleanshoo; 01-29-2023 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    is jax hurt?..or did we save him for next game because the small ball after jonas got kicked out was part of our downfall in this game..
    Naw Jax not hurt, we all know Willie hates him. Due to Willie lack of player development as you can see in Jax, Trey, Zion, and Herb, Jaxon is a product of Willie's inability to coach.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    I'm not a Devonte fan, but he's the only one that's been making threes lately. At that point of the game, I think he was 3 for 5 from long-range. He wound up 3 for 6. You don't want Trey out there - and god knows Herb is shouldn't be an option - so who do you propose that we play right now when we're in a major hole and we need an outside shooting threat?
    Not someone who can’t guard a single NBA player. To make a lead become smaller, you also have to play defense. Which, this team wins when they do that. Not to mention they had a lineup on the court that included CJ, Naji, Billy, Jose, and Graham on the court at one time. On what earth is that a lineup that can make a lead shrink? Unless of course they weren’t trying to shrink the lead and get people all this valued development that Willie has been so good at. I say positive stuff too. I have said it. The problem is I also say the negative stuff that had caused this team to be 3-15 in the last 18. They have zero shot to win today and you expect me to be happy that the team I grew up on consistently ********s the bed. You all of a sudden like a lot of people think this squad will miraculously stop being injured and just start playing with energy and cohesion. They look terrible on offense. Zero resemblance of any type of sets in large parts of the game. The players look demoralized and this guy thinks they are supposed to win with joy. It’s not spewing negativity. It’s being tired of them losing constantly and especially in the middle of a season. How do you get worse as the season goes along? That’s what they have done. The only hope they have is to get Zion back and let him bulldoze to the rim to keep them in games.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 01-29-2023 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Naw Jax not hurt, we all know Willie hates him. Due to Willie lack of player development as you can see in Jax, Trey, Zion, and Herb, Jaxon is a product of Willie's inability to coach.
    It's not Willie's pronlem; it's the team's. JAX was here a long time before Willie.

The team did not develop....

1. JAX
    2. NAW
    3. DiDi
    4. Kira
    5. 3M3 (though I admit it's still early)
    6. Herb (All Star on one end; 12th player on high school team on the other)

Even Melli was a NBA rookie when he got here.

Truly, if we had not stumbled into Naji and Jose, we would not have anything to show in terms of internal development of players (and even that might not be the case).

This team is successful only when talent developed outside the organization has shown up (BI, CJ, JV, Adams and JHart) and thanks to a lucky ping pong ball (# 1).

The Franchise
    I’m hoping they make a trade soon. This stretch of games will be ultra tough so let’s get our lumps in while learning how to play together.

How do you get worse as the season goes along?
    Massive roster upset leading to supporting guys playing vastly oversized roles for extended periods of time, messing up their chemistry, putting people into positions they should never be in, and overburdening their bodies with excessive minutes, coinciding with a period where the schedule got really tough and we played a ton of road games.

I think it's worth noting that while the defense overall has been worse than it was a few months ago, it hasn't been appalling. We're still comfortably a top 8 defense in the NBA, despite it all.

The collapse has come offensively. We went from being top 3 in offense back in November to being barely league average now. This isn't shocking: we spent a huge amount of time with our leading scorers being downgraded from Zion and BI to CJ and Jonas.

CJ and Jonas are great. As the 3rd and 4th options, they're fantastic. As the 1 and 2, you have a worse version of what we had starting last year, and we all remember how that went.

Thread Information