Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: All Star Zion

Well, at least we still have the Oct-Dec run. We were a top 4 team then. Now it?s next man up as we head into the postseason.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    I have to disagree with the idea that we should've expected this. We've been hearing for sometime that he was basically on the cusp of returning, any day now.

On the cusp of the playoffs, with only 2 super important games left, this is a major disappointment that was directly set up by the management team's communication of reasonable expectations.

Hopefully they're just being coy and he'll be back before the postseason.
    Last edited by neworleanshoo; 04-06-2023 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    He's 2 weeks away from being 2 weeks away

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    I have to disagree with the idea that we should've expected this. We've been hearing for sometime that he was basically on the cusp of returning, any day now.

On the cusp of the playoffs, with only 2 super important games left, this is a major disappointment that was directly set up by the management team's communication of reasonable expectations.

Hopefully they're just being coy and he'll be back before the postseason.
    Well, I do think it's noteworthy they didn't say there was another setback or put another official 2 week thing on it. They just said he's continuing his rehab and conditioning. Shams said a few days ago - I think Monday - that the goal for Zion's return was playoffs. So that is still at least unofficially on the table.

Am I saying I think that's likely? Not really, I think the probable result is that he's done for the year. But if he's back I can easily imagine them saying it's playoffs or not at all. Zion returns if we make a real playoff series. If we don't, they're not risking anything for a singular play-in game.
    Basketball.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well, I do think it's noteworthy they didn't say there was another setback or put another official 2 week thing on it. They just said he's continuing his rehab and conditioning. Shams said a few days ago - I think Monday - that the goal for Zion's return was playoffs. So that is still at least unofficially on the table.

Am I saying I think that's likely? Not really, I think the probable result is that he's done for the year. But if he's back I can easily imagine them saying it's playoffs or not at all. Zion returns if we make a real playoff series. If we don't, they're not risking anything for a singular play-in game.
    I don't see a difference. If you lose either one you go home. It's do or die time.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I don't see a difference. If you lose either one you go home. It's do or die time.
    Yeah, the difference is that in the playoffs it's not do or die in each individual game.

From a fan's perspective of course you want the best players on the court to watch.

From the management's perspective, can you imagine how horrible it would be if Zion came back and got re-injured in a play-in game and then, on top of that, we don't even make the post-season?! You'd basically just be sacrificing him at the altar of fanservice for zero upside in that situation.

Where we're sat it's unlikely but still possible that we make a real seed, not even in the play-ins. Why reactivate Zion now for the game before the game before the game before the game before the playoffs, when you're making the play-in either way, could still make a top 6 seed without him, and guarantee his return in a series that will definitely matter?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I can at least put myself in their shoes and try to consider that perspective. I think we should all try that instead of just getting hyperbolic with it.

So next, it'll be off-season surgery announced in June, with a set back in September.

Yeah, the difference is that in the playoffs it's not do or die in each individual game.

From a fan's perspective of course you want the best players on the court to watch.

From the management's perspective, can you imagine how horrible it would be if Zion came back and got re-injured in a play-in game and then, on top of that, we don't even make the post-season?! You'd basically just be sacrificing him at the altar of fanservice for zero upside in that situation.

Where we're sat it's unlikely but still possible that we make a real seed, not even in the play-ins. Why reactivate Zion now for the game before the game before the game before the game before the playoffs, when you're making the play-in either way, could still make a top 6 seed without him, and guarantee his return in a series that will definitely matter?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I can at least put myself in their shoes and try to consider that perspective. I think we should all try that instead of just getting hyperbolic with it.
    He has played in like 33% of possible games in his career. How long are we going to keep this charade going?

He had knee surgery as a rookie.

He fractured a finger at the end of his second season.

He missed his entire third season after undergoing foot surgery.

This season, it's a hamstring injury. Then reinjuring the hamstring while rehabbing.

The only one of those that we can overlook as a freak injury is the finger. This guy will have lower body injuries for the rest of his career.

His biomechanics are just...off.

I'm not hating on the kid. It sucks for him and it sucks for us as fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    He has played in like 33% of possible games in his career. How long are we going to keep this charade going?
    I don't know, and I don't care.

He's clearly injury prone - nobody is denying it so it's not something you have to convince anyone of.

But the over-abundance of caution of Pelicans players, combined with the poor communication from the front office, is actually a bigger issue than just Zion. Because he's been injured, he's been the face of it, but we're used to this by now and we shouldn't have to be.

Ingram sprains his toe. Or was a jam? Or a contusion? Or turf toe? Jen Hale told us one thing, Willie Green told us another. Then he misses about 2 months from it.
    Jose gets a sprain. Misses 6 weeks from it. Or 7 weeks. Or 8 weeks. Still no word on him. It was 2 more weeks 2 weeks ago, no update.
    dyson missed a month for an ankle sprain. What grade sprain was it? Who knows, not me.

Yeah of course it's most frustrating with Zion because it happens most with him, but there's a serious issue with this team and its recovery procedures. This isn't normal. If you stub your toe on this team you miss 35 games. This doesn't happen with other teams. The problem is partly with Zion for being injury prone, sure, but we've also heard that he wants to be back, he feels he could play, he was doing 3v3 workouts a week ago and dunking in warmups a week before that. If there's no new set-back, why isn't he playing now, in terms of progress?

Because there are issues beyond the player with how this team deals with injuries. It's screwed up, so I'm more concerned with the FO than I am with any particular player right now - the games will take care of themselves, I'm not worried about the play-in.

I don't know, and I don't care.

He's clearly injury prone - nobody is denying it so it's not something you have to convince anyone of.

But the over-abundance of caution of Pelicans players, combined with the poor communication from the front office, is actually a bigger issue than just Zion. Because he's been injured, he's been the face of it, but we're used to this by now and we shouldn't have to be.

Ingram sprains his toe. Or was a jam? Or a contusion? Or turf toe? Jen Hale told us one thing, Willie Green told us another. Then he misses about 2 months from it.
    Jose gets a sprain. Misses 6 weeks from it. Or 7 weeks. Or 8 weeks. Still no word on him. It was 2 more weeks 2 weeks ago, no update.
    dyson missed a month for an ankle sprain. What grade sprain was it? Who knows, not me.

Yeah of course it's most frustrating with Zion because it happens most with him, but there's a serious issue with this team and its recovery procedures. This isn't normal. If you stub your toe on this team you miss 35 games. This doesn't happen with other teams. The problem is partly with Zion for being injury prone, sure, but we've also heard that he wants to be back, he feels he could play, he was doing 3v3 workouts a week ago and dunking in warmups a week before that. If there's no new set-back, why isn't he playing now, in terms of progress?

Because there are issues beyond the player with how this team deals with injuries. It's screwed up, so I'm more concerned with the FO than I am with any particular player right now - the games will take care of themselves, I'm not worried about the play-in.
    Based on hardcore historical truths, it foolhardy to believe he will ever 'earn' that Max Contract he signed. This means the team will be operating with 70% to 75% of the cap dollars that other teams will be operating with over the next five years. So, in all probability, the 'altar of fanservice' has already been compromised until the end of his extension (or until they cut ties).

The injury situation is what it is, but the official team statements on his injury updates are honestly just cringe at this point.

Basketball Guru
    im going to say this again and im holding on to it.....they are saving zion for the play-in. then we win those 2 games . . we beat denver in the 1st round and zion becomes the hero,,the fans love him again then all will be good in the state...

I think they didn't see what they wanted to clear him bur the lack of a timeline means they don't think it will be long until he is cleared. I bet he's cleared in less than a week.

Only when the board is without hope does great PelsThings happen.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I think they didn't see what they wanted to clear him bur the lack of a timeline means they don't think it will be long until he is cleared. I bet he's cleared in less than a week.

What supports this is that the last time there was a set-back they did announce it fairly quickly, and he was doing ''rigorous'' 3v3 stuff about a week ago, according to Haines.

So if there's been no additional problems since then, it would imply he's getting close to return now and that it might be functionally day-to-day.

That said, Green also denied that Zion had done a full practice yet just a few days ago as well, so you can play those two statements off against each other however you like.

In my position, I think it's wise as a Pels fan to take a lesson from the ever-quotable Antonio Gramsci on this issue and have pessimism of the intellect, but optimism of the will.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

Not sure if this is reverse psychology or you just falling for the okie doke.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Not sure if this is reverse psychology or you just falling for the okie doke.
    We will see in a week if I'm either right or if I'm going to delete all of my posts on the topic and pretend that I'm still right.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    im going to say this again and im holding on to it.....they are saving zion for the play-in. then we win those 2 games . . we beat denver in the 1st round and zion becomes the hero,,the fans love him again then all will be good in the state...
    Zion Williamson (hamstring strain) is unlikely to play in the Play-In Tournament next week, per The Athletic's Shams Charania.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Zion Williamson (hamstring strain) is unlikely to play in the Play-In Tournament next week, per The Athletic's Shams Charania.
    Like I said earlier in the thread, I legitimately believe that the team has a play-off series or bust in mind. If we make a real series, they'll seriously consider playing him in it. If we don't, they're not going to cart him out for one or two games that could easily be inconsequential.

That, as well as this Shams updates, also fits with the Haines update last week that the playoffs were the target.

Hall of Famer
    With how this zion thing has gone, I expect if they make a real series they will list him day to day and then he won't play in that series

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    He’s ruled out for play-in.

At least some of Zion’s injury issues have to be from karma of New Orleans fans calling AD “street clothes” all these years and yet AD never missed as much time as Zion.

Hall of Famer
    Andrew Lopez @_Andrew_Lopez

David Griffin on Zion Williamson: “I think it’s a matter of all the objective metrics we can have on where he is at and how he feels lining up. And to this point they haven’t.” Until that happens, Griff said, Z won’t be cleared for 5-on-5.

Said metrics are based on things they can measure in the weight room in terms of flexibility & court speed. Also Z’s reaction to how he feels after each exercise. “When he feels like him, he’ll tell us he’s ready for the next phase. And to this stage he hasn’t felt like that.”

Well

Hall of Famer

On Z’s potential availability, Griff said they wouldn’t be in a position to get him 5-on-5 work prior to play-in games. “Based on today, our best possible outcome if everything lined up perfectly maybe you’re in a position to practice prior to a 1st round or during a 1st round.”

Doesn't sound like he knows

I really don't care what Griff has to say at this point. It's all snake oil. Zero trust in him at the moment, especially regarding injuries. I'm working on the presumption that, if he can be back for the playoffs he will be but certainly not before. What he's saying here kind of lines up with that, but isn't optimistic sounding.

His entire claim is that Zion is hesitant to play and isn't ready, but all we've been hearing from every other source for the last two weeks is that he really wants to play and his workouts have been ''rigorous''. So am I going to believe that, or am I going to take the word of Griff, who cannot talk straight for ten seconds if his life was on the line?

Zion won't be back until at least the playoffs. That's all I need to know. He can save the rest of it.

Tell me if this sounds like anyone we know:

Speaking in platitudes means using cliched, vague, or overly general statements that convey little meaningful information or insight. Platitudes are often used when someone wants to sound knowledgeable or comforting without providing any real substance or specific guidance. They may be well-intentioned but can come across as insincere, superficial, or unhelpful due to their lack of depth or originality. Examples of platitudes include phrases like "Everything happens for a reason," "Time heals all wounds," or "Hard work always pays off."
    His new name is David Platitudes.

Thread Information