Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Summer League - July 7th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Minnesota Timberwolves

Pelicans Summer League - July 7th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Minnesota Timberwolves

Hey there, look, it's Pelicans basketball.

Ish.

Today is the first game of Summer League, in which we'll be seeing the following players:

Featuring the rare 29 year old Summer League player, Frank Barley IV. He is almost 10 years older than dyson daniels.

Of course the main names to watch are the ones which have some chance of actually playing this season: Hawkins, Liddell, daniels, with Seabron and Karlo as the wild card ''possibly'' guys.

Remember the summer league rules:

1) Someone being awesome in Summer League is no guarantee that they will be good in the NBA
    2) Someone being bad in Summer League is no guarantee they will suck in the NBA
    3) An exception to rule 2: if a rookie player is a third year NBA guy and they look awful in SL, they're probably not going to be worth that 4th year extension.
    4) Looking for micro-skills, not macro-skills. SL coaching is different, rotations are different, game planning is different and a lot of guys are out to get their contract or their viral moment so they're often not playing in a real team context. Look for off-ball movement, handling skills, shot-making, physical strength/speed/flexibility. Avoid caring about defense (no team system, really) passing sequences (no time for instilling set plays) or spacing too much.

Have fun, hope for no injuries, and lets keep our fingers crossed for our guys to show out.
    Basketball.

Not sure Robbins will play, but with the current "big" situation in New Orleans, I think he has a chance. Same for Karlo. I am intrigued to see Hawkins' shooting and the Hepa kid from Hawaii.

I think everyone will have their eyes on EJ, Hawkins, Daniels, Karlo, Hepa, Robbins, Jones, and Nolley. Then maybe Brooks.

I honestly wouldn't play Daniels and EJ more than 2 or 3 games.

EJ is only 6'6"?
    He's the height of a guard.

Also 240 with a 7’ wingspan. He’s like a pj Tucker or draymon—can guard certain line ups as small ball big, but more of a stretch 4…

Didn't realize Seabron is 6'5".

Great finish by Jhawk

Multiple defensive lapses have given the T-Wolves several easy shots at the rim.

Turnover fest.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Dyson looks a little bit stronger, more confident, decisive. Outside shot doesn't look much better so far.

Hawkins looks as advertised.

Lidell has really nice touch and awareness.

Seabron doesn't look good at anything unless the ball goes in.

Matkovic looks like a 2nd round bust / going to need more time in Europe.

J Hawk and Liddel look good. J in particular showing some good drives to counter closeouts. His movement is good. Guy can shoot. EJ is showing good touch around the basket and getting involved. Pleased with both

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Dyson looks a little bit stronger, more confident, decisive. Outside shot doesn't look much better so far.

Hawkins looks as advertised.

Lidell has really nice touch and awareness.

Seabron doesn't look good at anything unless the ball goes in.

Matkovic looks like a 2nd round bust / going to need more time in Europe.
    We got the wrong Bron

Pretty similar comments to others.

dyson looks good, like he's made real progress, especially with his interior scoring.

Hawkins has shot a ton so even if they're not falling tonight, I like seeing that. Also like seeing him doing a little bit of ball handling - some hits and misses there but where else is better to be ambitious and try stuff than Summer League? Him developing that attacking off closeouts will be vital for his improvement.

Liddell just looks like he knows what he's doing. Moves well, is in the right spaces on both ends most of the time. Super efficient when the ball ends up with him.

Everything else is kind of a mess but hey, it's summer league. Offense is pants? Sure it is, but it's summer league.

Hope we can get through summer league without any serious injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    Hope we can get through summer league without any serious injuries
    And you jinxed it. Hawkins leaves with a knee injury after missing 4 FTs.

I posted that after he went down he’s back in , I don’t think Dyson is going to work out

Dyson not looking good in crunch time. Flat three point shot, turned the ball over, shot blocked on the drive, then another turnover.

Just awful way to close the game

dyson: looks good for 80% of the game - fine

dyson: looks rough for the last 5 minutes in summer league

''Guys, he's not going to make it. It's over.''

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Lol

I only caught the last few minutes but he looked like a rookie from what I saw

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    dyson: looks good for 80% of the game - fine

dyson: looks rough for the last 5 minutes in summer league

''Guys, he's not going to make it. It's over.''
    That’s the problem he’s a 2nd year player going up against mostly rookies. He should be dominating the entire game.

Not a good look when you get outscored 11-0 to close the game. And don't tell me these are all scrubs. So are most of the T-Wolves players as well. We had enough talent on the court to be competitive and not get outscored 30-13 in the 4th.

My options today were the Pelicans Summer League Game and a Root Canal Appointment. I think I made the wrong decision.

To be honest, all four teams sucked:

...The Pelicans
    ...The T'Wolves
    ...The Officials
    ...The Broadcast Team

Thread Information