Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: All Star Zion

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    idk maybe im "old school" but if Zion is physically fine, he should be out there battling. Sitting because of a mental block is just super wack to me. It sounds like he is on that Ben Simmons Simone Biles ********.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    idk maybe im "old school" but if Zion is physically fine, he should be out there battling. Sitting because of a mental block is just super wack to me. It sounds like he is on that Ben Simmons Simone Biles ********.
    Ingram said the exact same stuff, and mental health is a serious thing. If you weren't complaining about it when Ingram was saying it, there's no reason to be saying now.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Ingram said the exact same stuff, and mental health is a serious thing. If you weren't complaining about it when Ingram was saying it, there's no reason to be saying now.
    There is a reason to be saying it now. Our next game is literally a must win.

There is a reason to be saying it now. Our next game is literally a must win.
    If you're not ready to play, you're not ready to play. It was fine when Ingram said it, no one cared. Now Zion says it and all of a sudden it's not good enough.

I get what you mean about the next game being a must win, but if you have these doubts you may easily feel like that's more reason not to play: you don't want to screw things up in a vital moment if you don't trust yourself.

You can apply the same logic to BI: maybe if he hadn't sat out those extra games in January, we win some of them and aren't even in this position - maybe we have a safe playoff berth with 2 or 3 extra wins on the board. But nobody does apply that same logic to BI. When Zion says it, pillory the man. When BI says it, it's cool.

If you're not ready to play, you're not ready to play. It was fine when Ingram said it, no one cared. Now Zion says it and all of a sudden it's not good enough.

I get what you mean about the next game being a must win, but if you have these doubts you may easily feel like that's more reason not to play: you don't want to screw things up in a vital moment if you don't trust yourself.

You can apply the same logic to BI: maybe if he hadn't sat out those extra games in January, we win some of them and aren't even in this position - maybe we have a safe playoff berth with 2 or 3 extra wins on the board. But nobody does apply that same logic to BI. When Zion says it, pillory the man. When BI says it, it's cool.
    People wanted Ingram back and plenty of people said it. But you're talking about January games. Its pretty ridiculous to draw the comparison and act like its a double standard. Sitting out for elimination games in the post season is not the same thing as sitting out for some January games. Its really not.

People wanted Ingram back and plenty of people said it. But you're talking about January games. Its pretty ridiculous to draw the comparison and act like its a double standard. Sitting out for elimination games in the post season is not the same thing as sitting out for some January games. Its really not.
    It is if you do not feel ready to play. If you genuinely think that you playing would cause more problems than answers, it would actually be selfish of you to play.

The fact that neither of us believe he actually would cause more problems is irrelevant. Psychology is more complex than that and irrational fears or anxieties are by definition not something you can reason with. If you can't play, you can't play, and it doesn't matter if it's game 7 of the finals or game 1 of the year.

Edit: as for whether people wanted Ingram back or not, it's beside the point. People are justified in wanting Zion back now too. The difference is that Ingram said he didn't feel like himself and said he didn't trust the foot, and people said okay take your time. When Zion says the exact same thing about the hamstring, they don't accept it. Pointing out that it's the same excuse doesn't imply that people didn't care about Ingram or whatever, that's just you throwing out a weird red herring.

It is if you do not feel ready to play. If you genuinely think that you playing would cause more problems than answers, it would actually be selfish of you to play.

The fact that neither of us believe he actually would cause more problems is irrelevant. Psychology is more complex than that and irrational fears or anxieties are by definition not something you can reason with. If you can't play, you can't play, and it doesn't matter if it's game 7 of the finals or game 1 of the year.

Edit: as for whether people wanted Ingram back or not, it's beside the point. People are justified in wanting Zion back now too. The difference is that Ingram said he didn't feel like himself and said he didn't trust the foot, and people said okay take your time. When Zion says the exact same thing about the hamstring, they don't accept it. Pointing out that it's the same excuse doesn't imply that people didn't care about Ingram or whatever, that's just you throwing out a weird red herring.
    Willis Reed came out in game 7 of the finals, could barely put weight on his leg, made the first two baskets of the game and inspired his team to victory. That's legendary stuff that people still talk about generations later. This... is like pretty much the opposite. The team's star player sitting out in a must win game when physically healthy, its not a good look. And yes, we do look at must win post season games differently than random games in the middle of the season. Thats why teams regularly have important players rest during regular season, its only in order to have the best players available for must win post season games.

Willis Reed came out in game 7 of the finals, could barely put weight on his leg, made the first two baskets of the game and inspired his team to victory. That's legendary stuff that people still talk about generations later. This... is like pretty much the opposite.
    You know why that's legendary stuff that people still talk about years on?

Because it doesn't happen often. Because nobody expects it. Because it is out of the ordinary. It is, by definition, extra-ordinary.

And here you are using something that notable for it's exceptional nature as the standard for Zion, and you expect me not to call that unrealistic?

If you are unable to play, you are unable to play. Nobody would be saying this if it was a physical ailment, but because it's psychological we pretend it's not real. That's a real problem in our society.

You know why that's legendary stuff that people still talk about years on?

Because it doesn't happen often. Because nobody expects it. Because it is out of the ordinary. It is, by definition, extra-ordinary.

And here you are using something that notable for it's exceptional nature as the standard for Zion, and you expect me not to call that unrealistic?

If you are unable to play, you are unable to play. Nobody would be saying this if it was a physical ailment, but because it's psychological we pretend it's not real. That's a real problem in our society.
    Or, a real problem in our society is coddling fools and telling them its perfectly fine to let people down who are counting on you because you know... you just arent feeling it or whatever.

What I get out the Zion interview is that Zion is still very immature. He definitely isn?t ready to be Batman. He doesn?t take ownership of his situation. I do think that some of his response was coached to take heat off the organization. I just don?t see how any self respecting, world class athlete would sit out a win or go home game because they just didn?t feel like playing. It makes no sense of what we have seen of Zion discussing basketball in the past. This interview appears that Zion has lost his passion. Shades of Ben Simmons unfortunately…
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-11-2023 at 11:37 PM.

Or, a real problem in our society is coddling fools and telling them its perfectly fine to let people down who are counting on you because you know... you just arent feeling it or whatever.
    I'm not going to relitigate my point, but we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I think your position is, frankly, absurd beyond belief and you clearly think the same in response and we're not going to change each other's minds without completely derailing the thread.

I get the not being mentally ready to play, but if he's physically able to play wouldn't participating in 5 on 5 in practice really be the place where he gets mentally ready to play? Cause he's not even doing that

It is very similar to what BI said when everyone thought he was taking too long to come back from his toe injury. Is this a medical staff thing that they drill in their heads? Is it their agents or advisors telling them this?

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    I get the not being mentally ready to play, but if he's physically able to play wouldn't participating in 5 on 5 in practice really be the place where he gets mentally ready to play? Cause he's not even doing that
    Yeah it is wild. I had all the patience in the world for him going through all the injuries and missing an obscene amount of games because he could not help that. Being healthy and sitting out (in a critical situation with the season on the line) is not something that computes. If it is just mental for him now and he wont even work to get back, I do not know what else to say on his behalf.

I'm not going to relitigate my point, but we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I think your position is, frankly, absurd beyond belief and you clearly think the same in response and we're not going to change each other's minds without completely derailing the thread.
    Do you know how many people dont mentally feel like coming in to work at their jobs? And yet they do it anyway. And they arent getting paid millions of dollars. Nah, no sympathy for this. Do your job.

Do you know how many people dont mentally feel like coming in to work at their jobs? And yet they do it anyway. And they arent getting paid millions of dollars. Nah, no sympathy for this. Do your job.
    Just said I'm not debating it in this thread anymore. You want a serious debate on it, send me a dm, otherwise we're agreeing to disagree. Not derailing the thread.

Basketball Guru
    The problem with what skip said is that if true then maybe he threw jen under the bus...or maybe jen leaked that to skip because its a zion family versus org. issue and maybe one trying to force someone hand...maybe skip is just trolling for views.......

im just trying to get pass that zion will miss another play-in or playoffs two years in a row and he is healthy this season....but im still holding on to we winning the play-in then zion plays against denver and we upset them in the 1st...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    The problem with what skip said is that if true then maybe he threw jen under the bus...or maybe jen leaked that to skip because its a zion family versus org. issue and maybe one trying to force someone hand...maybe skip is just trolling for views.......

im just trying to get pass that zion will miss another play-in or playoffs two years in a row and he is healthy this season....but im still holding on to we winning the play-in then zion plays against denver and we upset them in the 1st...
    It's not just Skip. Shannon has been trolling this organization for years. He acts like he has some sort of axe to grind with Zion.

No he's on the "Sthkiip he doesn't want to be there" bs again.

Shannon also just said 'of course Zion would sign that extension.' But they were also part of the moron brigade saying Zion wanted out of here so bad, he wouldn't sign it a few years ago.

Whenever there is an opportunity to get clicks with extreme takes, they go there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's not just Skip. Shannon has been trolling this organization for years. He acts like he has some sort of axe to grind with Zion.

No he's on the "Sthkiip he doesn't want to be there" bs again.

Shannon also just said 'of course Zion would sign that extension.' But they were also part of the moron brigade saying Zion wanted out of here so bad, he wouldn't sign it a few years ago.

Whenever there is an opportunity to get clicks with extreme takes, they go there.
    Shannon is the biggest Lebron James fan of all time, which means he believes the Pelicans wronged Lebron personally by not trading Brow there immediately upon request mid-season. He will hate this franchise forever for not immediately surrendering to Lebron's whim. That's his motivation. He doesn't have an axe to grind with Zion, but he does have one to grind with the Pelicans and since Zion is our best player (when healthy) it is in his interests to either wish for Zion's continued injury or for him to want out.

Trade this dude, he's going to leave anyway might as well speed up the process and get what we can get for him.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    ...maybe skip is just trolling for views.......
    Maybe? That is literally his career.

Maybe he didn't feel like Zion but whatever he felt like had to be better than most of the players on the court with exception on BI and Trey. He could have at the very least gotten the pressure away from those two guys and just been a decoy. We would still be in this thing were he not a complete nut case.

CJ letting slip a little frustration it sounds like to me. This is the closest anyone on the Pelicans has come to publicly calling out Zion and BI

For us to be successful in the future, we have to be able to play together. We need our best players on the court. We need to play extensive minutes together, especially in meaningful games and showcase what we have to offer. For us to contend for a championship and contend for a playoff run, thats what its going to take.

Throughout my career, I have always been a player to do whatever it takes to help the team. I could have taken the easy way out and got surgery and sat and watched. Im not that type of person. Im not that type of player. Even though it affected my performance, I just went and competed the best I can. Im always trying to lead by example."
    https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...e=featured-top

CJ letting slip a little frustration it sounds like to me. This is the closest anyone on the Pelicans has come to publicly calling out Zion and BI

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...e=featured-top
    Good for CJ. It needs to be publicly said. Zion and BI are Charmin soft. Willie Green and Griffin need to be called out as well for coddling them.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-13-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Thread Information