Pelicans Report

Thread: 25th January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Minnesota Timberwolves 26-22

Pelicans 25th January - New Orleans Pelicans vs Minnesota Timberwolves 26-22

There's no way around it. The Pelicans have been woeful for a few weeks now. Basically since 2023 began, with a little wiggle room around the dates. Obviously the biggest reason for that is the combined absence of Zion and Ingram. Other factors include a rough schedule with lots of road games against good teams, and also some missed games from guys like Herb and Naji.

This part of the season is coming to an end. Our latest Zion update is that he's recovering and will be re-evaluated in about 2 weeks, which is longer than we'd like but at least the recovery is happened *at least as far as we've been told*. We're also getting a slightly easier schedule for the rest of the year.

And the obvious factor for tonight:

Ingram has not played since November 25th. He has missed the last 29 games. Nobody should be surprised if there's a bit of rust. But the reality is that before going out for injury, Ingram was averaging 21/5/5 this year on 47/47/87 splits, posting the second highest BPM among major minutes getters on the team, and was a top 40 player by EPM.

That's a huge player to get back. Glad to see him return, barring any setback. We need him right now.
    Basketball.

Once we get Naji back, we are essentially the team that pushed us to the play-in last year. I can live with that version of ourselves for a few weeks while we wait for Zion to return.

Naji is also probable. They probably win these last 2 close games if he plays.

So they'll probably still lose tonight, but at least I'll watch them lose this one.

Season Ticket Holder
    T-wolves suck. I expect BI to cook. Curious to see if they let him play more than 30 minutes.

Eagerly awaiting a Dyson update.

Both Naji and BI are playing.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    So what are we going to do about Anthony Edwards

I know it hurts a 7 footer's feelings when a 5'10" guy attacks you in the paint

BI is covered in a layer of rust that is about a foot thick.

And if BI is covered in rust, Herb has been covered in lead all season long.

We are sinking fast. We might be 12th seed by allstar break.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar7th View Post
    We are sinking fast. We might be 12th seed by allstar break.
    Yeah, at this rate, the "Laker Pick Swap", might mean nothing.

The team responded after Willie Green got thrown out. Big lead has been cut to 6 with 3 and half left to play, closest the game has been since early 3rd quarter

Yea, just a little too late though. At least BI is back, and we’re in the middle of the playoff mix.

I'm honestly not worried...except for injuries.

Get some consistency with the lineups and let this injury bug die, and they'll go on a W run at some point.

However, saw this L tonight from a mile away.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Just got home - what happened to Trey? He didn't play the entire 2nd half. Is he injured too?

I was glad to see BI back, but at the same time, I really wanted him off the floor most of the night. He was playing with zero aggression.

Also - Herb is such a liability on offense. It's getting WORSE. 2 for 9 (o for 5 from three) in 26 minutes is an absolute killer.
    Last edited by neworleanshoo; 01-25-2023 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Just got home - what happened to Trey? He didn't play the entire 2nd half. Is he injured too?

I was glad to see BI back, but at the same time, I really wanted him off the floor most of the night. He was playing with zero aggression.

Also - Herb is such a liability on offense. It's getting WORSE. 2 for 9 (o for 5 from three) in 26 minutes is an absolute killer.
    Trey does one thing inconsistently well....shoot the ultra-long ball
    And he does one think okay only half the time....finish at the basket.
    He is totally dependent on being set up by his teammates as he can't create on his own.
    He falls asleep on defense and is contributes nothing off the boards (look up how many rebounds he had tonight).

Honestly, Naji is a better overall player at this point in their respective careers. And that's precisely why Willie plays him over Trey when the game is on the line.

Herb is the antithesis of 3M3. Herb works his tail off while far too frequently 3M3 becomes a on-court spectator.

Season Ticket Holder
    Herb three pointers are the equivalent of a turnover. He shot 0-5 from three last night (27.8% from three this season)However, he wasn't the only one who went offer from 3:

BI 0-6
    Trey 0-3
    Herb 0-5
    Naji 0-2
    Billy 0-1

Herb's outside shot really has regressed. As far as Naji, I wish he would stick to the corner 3s. He is much better there than anywhere else. He is not a good 3pt shooter, but adequate enough from the corner.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Trey does one thing inconsistently well....shoot the ultra-long ball
    And he does one think okay only half the time....finish at the basket.
    He is totally dependent on being set up by his teammates as he can't create on his own.
    He falls asleep on defense and is contributes nothing off the boards (look up how many rebounds he had tonight).

Honestly, Naji is a better overall player at this point in their respective careers. And that's precisely why Willie plays him over Trey when the game is on the line.

Herb is the antithesis of 3M3. Herb works his tail off while far too frequently 3M3 becomes a on-court spectator.

I agree that Naji is the better overall player but when we're down 12 with 4 minutes to go, you MUST have your best outside shooters in the game. Period, end of story. If we're going to yank Trey every time he misses a few shots, we're going to obliterate his confidence and his inconsistent shooting will only get worse.

Regardless, while there's some truth to what you say, you're being WAY too hard on him. Part of the reason he doesn't get a lot of rebounds is that he's specifically coached to hustle down the floor so he can spot up for an open 3 on transition if it's there.

And I would love to see him create on his own, but that's not his role in this offense. He has that ability - and he's starting to do it more anyway (as you say, he CAN finish at the basket, much better than "okay") - but a lot of it is how they're using him. He primarily sits in the corner and waits for the ball. So you blame him for failing to initiate. Nice.

Thread Information