Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 2023 Possible Trades at deadline

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I read a report that Naji is being considered on the block for OG trade discussions. Might sound weird but feel like that would be a mistake?. Naji is a two way wing, he responded when called upon and his attitude is becoming a real part of our identity.
    OG is a better Naji.

My question is why are we trying to trade for another wing defender that can't shoot? We have enough of those... let's find a wing that can defend and SHOOT.

What we really need is a rim protector/rebounder that can move his feet to defend P/R. If he can shoot that's a plus.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    OG is a better Naji.

My question is why are we trying to trade for another wing defender that can't shoot? We have enough of those... let's find a wing that can defend and SHOOT.

What we really need is a rim protector/rebounder that can move his feet to defend P/R. If he can shoot that's a plus.
    I agree with everything you're saying... OG is a better Naji, but Naji is on a super friendly team contract and he fits with our chemistry and identity. I don't see how turning Naji + other assets into OG gets us to the next level. We could use a 3 and D wing who is a real marksman from behind the arc. But a two way wing that isn't a knockdown 3 point shooter... its just not a need.

*When everyone is healthy* There is the key part of your post, donato. When are the Pels EVER fully healthy. Do you think after 82 games of wear and tear, we will be healthy come playoff time. The odds of that are beyond slim given our history of injuries.

Naji will very likely play a crucial role come playoff time. I am wholeheartedly against trading Naji for any of the players being targeted on this board. Giving up valuable assets to make a modest improvement in the team is one thing; breaking up team chemistry just to make a move is just foolish. Naji is beloved in that locker room.
    Last edited by Spec3333; 02-07-2023 at 04:58 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    *When everyone is healthy* There is the key part of your post, donato. When are the Pels EVER fully healthy. Do you think after 82 games of wear and tear, we will be healthy come playoff time. The odds of that are beyond slim given our history of injuries.

Naji will very likely play a crucial role come playoff time. I am wholeheartedly against trading Naji for any of the players being targeted on this board. Giving up valuable assets to make a modest improvement in the team is one thing; breaking up team chemistry just to make a move is just foolish. Naji is beloved in that locker room.

Then who would you trade of any value? You have to give up someone to get something decent in return. Unless you just want to burn through all the picks. I don't know how excited teams are with Hayes/Kira/Graham (they're not).

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Then who would you trade of any value? You have to give up someone to get something decent in return. Unless you just want to burn through all the picks. I don't know how excited teams are with Hayes/Kira/Graham (they're not).
    I just don’t see a real difference maker available at the trade deadline this year. I would not break up the heart of this team to make a move for any of the guys proposed. There is no CJ-level player on the trade block this year unless you want to go nuts. We are not winning a title this year without a healthy Zion and BI from the All Star Game on. We showed that we are among the best of the West when those 2 are on the court. It’s just not a good idea to give up a valuable player like Naji when this team is good enough to win as is. If either Zion or BI miss extended time after the ASG, we are very likely toast this year no matter what moves we make this week.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Sure, but when everyone is healthy he is far less important. When BI played the other night Naji had 0 points in like 23 minutes. He's just not needed when we are healthy. I'd be looking to upgrade somewhere. We have too many guys which isn't such a bad thing, but you aren't keeping them all anyway.
    Another example tonight. Naji, 24 minutes, 7 points, 0 rebounds.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Another example tonight. Naji, 24 minutes, 7 points, 0 rebounds.
    Exactly. And you can say, "If either Zion or BI miss extended time after the ASG, we are very likely toast this year no matter what moves we make this week." Fine. But Naji also didn't bring any wins in our 10-game losing streak. Maybe a more impactful player would have.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    also say Washington and the bucks are interested in billy..
    Both teams had scouts in the SKC this weekend when Willy went off.

from a basketball/ roster building standpoint I do think it makes sense to trade Naji, but from a culture point of view man i'd hate trading that guy.

Thread Information