Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Possible Trades at deadline

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Collins is making ~$26 million the next three years. He's averaging 14points and 7 rebounds this season, while shooting 26% from 3. I'm not sure he's even considered an asset. Dude got paid and is resting on his laurels. Look at his stats. Disaster. Maybe it is the team. Maybe it is him. I don't think anyone wants to invest $75 million PLUS picks to find out.
    You honestly think the most the Hawks get for him is a bad contract, an expiring draft disappointment and 2 2nd round picks? If so, he would have been gone yesterday.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You honestly think the most the Hawks get for him is a bad contract, an expiring draft disappointment and 2 2nd round picks? If so, he would have been gone yesterday.
    Maybe. He's been in trade rumors for years. He doesn't have much value is all I'm saying. He's still on the Hawks because they can't get jack for him. If they could get value, he would have been gone yesterday.

Do I want him on the Pelicans? Not really. We could do better with a $26 million slot on our team.

The trade market seems a bit crazy right now due to the ridiculous Gobert trade. I think many teams think they can get a bunch for their players. I wonder if it is going to be a slow trade deadline as a result.

OG Anunoby
    Jordan Clarkson

Are two guys that I want.

Poeltl is fools gold.

There is no solution for 5. Finding another bandaid that doesn't fit is just poor asset management. Wish they double dip last draft and got Jalen Duren to develop.

Season Ticket Holder
    The trade market seems a bit crazy right now due to the ridiculous Gobert trade. I think many teams think they can get a bunch for their players. I wonder if it is going to be a slow trade deadline as a result.
    I think the potential for a slow trade deadline (who knows how it will eventually end up) is a result of the play-in. Teams have hope. Incentive not to tank. This is good for the league and the games. Bad for fans who get excited more about transactions (no judgments). How many teams are legitimately "out of it"? Orlando, Charlotte, Detroit, San Antonio and Houston. That's it. The rest are within a few games of the 10 seed. So if those are the only "sellers", that's not good cause all those teams suck and lack quality players to target. Everyone says Toronto is a seller but they're .5 games out of the 10 seed.

I think the potential for a slow trade deadline (who knows how it will eventually end up) is a result of the play-in. Teams have hope. Incentive not to tank. This is good for the league and the games. Bad for fans who get excited more about transactions (no judgments). How many teams are legitimately "out of it"? Orlando, Charlotte, Detroit, San Antonio and Houston. That's it. The rest are within a few games of the 10 seed. So if those are the only "sellers", that's not good cause all those teams suck and lack quality players to target. Everyone says Toronto is a seller but they're .5 games out of the 10 seed.
    Good point

The Pelicans have discussed Jaxson
    Hayes, Naji Marshall and Devonte
    Graham in preliminary conversations
    around the league, sources said. Hayes
    will become a restricted free agent this
    offseason. Graham still has two years at
    over $12 million for each season
    remaining on his contract. - Jake Fischer

Starter
    And water is wet...

Yeah but OG wants out and Toronto want to avoid the tax they would be smart to trade him while he has years on his contract. Plus they can't keep OG and Fred. It's not just about making the playoffs or play in for some teams, it's always about the future years ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    The Pelicans have discussed Jaxson
    Hayes, Naji Marshall and Devonte
    Graham in preliminary conversations
    around the league, sources said. Hayes
    will become a restricted free agent this
    offseason. Graham still has two years at
    over $12 million for each season
    remaining on his contract. - Jake Fischer
    It's very easy for the Pels to get to John Collins money if Graham is involved, just saying
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's very easy for the Pels to get to John Collins money if Graham is involved, just saying
    True. Just don't see why the need for John Collins on this team. That $ and contract length handcuffs the team moving forward.. i wouldn't mind doing such thing if its a position of need and elevates us to that next level

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    True. Just don't see why the need for John Collins on this team. That $ and contract length handcuffs the team moving forward.. i wouldn't mind doing such thing if its a position of need and elevates us to that next level
    The appeal for Collins is that he's young, under contract for years, better defensively than a lot of people think (though not elite, ofc), and the hope that part of his recent offensive struggles come from his well known dislike of playing with Trae.

For example, it's easy to say that he's shooting badly this year - and it's true, he is - but I think it's also fair to assume that in a different team context he might bounce back to his past standard: he shot 37.9% from 3 on about 700 attempts over the 4 years prior to this one, so it's not unreasonable to assume that this is a negative outlier stemming from general struggles with the team rather than a lack of shooting ability.

The appeal for Collins is that he's young, under contract for years, better defensively than a lot of people think (though not elite, ofc), and the hope that part of his recent offensive struggles come from his well known dislike of playing with Trae.

For example, it's easy to say that he's shooting badly this year - and it's true, he is - but I think it's also fair to assume that in a different team context he might bounce back to his past standard: he shot 37.9% from 3 on about 700 attempts over the 4 years prior to this one, so it's not unreasonable to assume that this is a negative outlier stemming from general struggles with the team rather than a lack of shooting ability.
    He has never been that good at the 5, which is where we would want to play him. His contract value and length could be problematic for the Pelicans.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I feel like we will stand where we are this year. Pretty boring, but could be worse.

He has never been that good at the 5, which is where we would want to play him. His contract value and length could be problematic for the Pelicans.
    Eh, that's not entirely true - he's been surprisingly good even this year at the 5 as long as Trae hasn't been in the lineup. In the N.O. did a pod a while back breaking down potential C trade targets, including JC, and in minutes where he's playing the 5 the team actually performs well as long as Trae isn't there. Of course there's some arguments that this could be due to other people he tends to share the floor is but then that's where we start to get into discussions of lineup versatility instead of individual capacity.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Id take either Naz Reid or John Collins and try and move JV for someone else at G/F that is a shooter. But I don’t expect the Pels to blow up their bench and their locker room. Moving the salary to get JC, and then moving JV, feels like too many people going out for a midseason trade. That’s the one of the reasons I lean toward Naz. It’s easier to match his salary and maintain some continuity.

Eh, that's not entirely true - he's been surprisingly good even this year at the 5 as long as Trae hasn't been in the lineup. In the N.O. did a pod a while back breaking down potential C trade targets, including JC, and in minutes where he's playing the 5 the team actually performs well as long as Trae isn't there. Of course there's some arguments that this could be due to other people he tends to share the floor is but then that's where we start to get into discussions of lineup versatility instead of individual capacity.
    He has not been really good (on defensive end) at the 5 almost his entire career. He is undersized for the 5 as well. That is why Atlanta went after Capela. He supposedly was more comfortable at the 4. I would not want to invest the draft capital and cap room on him.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Id take either Naz Reid or John Collins and try and move JV for someone else at G/F that is a shooter. But I don’t expect the Pels to blow up their bench and their locker room. Moving the salary to get JC, and then moving JV, feels like too many people going out for a midseason trade. That’s the one of the reasons I lean toward Naz. It’s easier to match his salary and maintain some continuity.
    Agree. I do not see Griff completely changing the team and locker room. Naz would be fine as a project since he is so young. However, he is really bad on the defensive end and commits a lot of fouls. He is getting much better on offensive end. He is a decent shot blocker.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Something like Juancho and Willy to Wolves, JV and Kira to Raptors, and Trent and Naz to Pels with whatever 2nds or protected picks needing to go to wherever. Also creates a roster spot and some cap space for another move if a good deal is available. The created space plus Graham+Temple could get you a pretty solid player if you’re willing to throw in multiple picks.

He has not been really good (on defensive end) at the 5 almost his entire career. He is undersized for the 5 as well. That is why Atlanta went after Capela. He supposedly was more comfortable at the 4. I would not want to invest the draft capital and cap room on him.
    I'm not arguing with whether he's best suited at the 5 or 4, I agree with you that he's best suited at the 4. But the numbers are pretty suggestive of the fact that he can be fine as the 5 in certain lineups, even without Capela also on the floor and it's just not really useful to pretend otherwise.

Trade 1

Miami gets: Hernangomez and Graham
    New Orleans gets: Duncan Robinson

then.....

Trade 2

New York gets: JAX
    Chicago gets: Cam Reddish, and Lottery protected pick this year
    New Orleans gets: Alex Caruso

NO PARTICULAR ORDER

PG: Jose', DD, Kira
    SG: CJ, Caruso, Herb
    SF: BI, Robinson, Temple
    PF: # 1, 3M3, Naji
    C: JV, Nance
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-28-2023 at 02:29 PM.

I'm not arguing with whether he's best suited at the 5 or 4, I agree with you that he's best suited at the 4. But the numbers are pretty suggestive of the fact that he can be fine as the 5 in certain lineups, even without Capela also on the floor and it's just not really useful to pretend otherwise.
    Agree to disagree. He may be useful in some lineups, but not most. And for his salary and the assets it would take to get him, I would pass pretty quickly.

Something like Juancho and Willy to Wolves, JV and Kira to Raptors, and Trent and Naz to Pels with whatever 2nds or protected picks needing to go to wherever. Also creates a roster spot and some cap space for another move if a good deal is available. The created space plus Graham+Temple could get you a pretty solid player if you’re willing to throw in multiple picks.
    So Naz would be our starter? Heck no. His defense is terrible. We would get killed with him on the floor most of the time. We would also have no depth other than Larry at the 5. We would be creating a Raptors' problem at the 5.

Agree to disagree. He may be useful in some lineups, but not most. And for his salary and the assets it would take to get him, I would pass pretty quickly.
    Yep that's where im at as well. Would be different if we didn't have our best player play in the same position. I would rather go with Turner than Collins who i know doesn't solve all our problems but so does Collins.

Thread Information