Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: January 2nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Philadelphia 76ers - 23-13

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Maybe he's still getting minutes because he is so good on defense, despite what you think
    I love the way you think. An ice cold (your words...not mine), undrafted, free agent is better option, right now, than a lottery pick. LMAO!!!

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    So depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    So depressed.
    Pelicans cannot have a single season without injuries just tearing through the roster. Who that roster is, or who the med staff is, or who the coaches are doesn't seem to matter. It's happened basically every year for a decade at least. Every single season. It's exhausting. Even when the Pelicans are good you have to factor in 5-10 losses purely off the back of people getting dinged up at an absurd rate.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    whoa! CJ and TM3 hit back 2 back threes to make it a 1 posession game with 2 min to go

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I love the way you think. An ice cold (your words...not mine), undrafted, free agent is better option, right now, than a lottery pick. LMAO!!!
    I mean... he is literally better than Kira, so there is that.

I mean... he is literally better than Kira, so there is that.
    Not according to the people who evaluate them for a living. But what do they know, hornetsrebirth has spoken.

I wonder who is worth more on the open market? Serious question

Not according to the people who evaluate them for a living. But what do they know, hornetsrebirth has spoken.

I wonder who is worth more on the open market? Serious question
    Are you seriously saying that draft order determines how good somebody is? So Marvin Bagley III > Luka right? Thats what you are saying?

We are leaving 2022 injuries behind us... 2023: hello there New Orleans

So this pretty much confirms BI will be back. Cos now no Zion.

Excellente.

That Houston game will not be easy.

If Zion's injury is one that keeps him out multiple games and BI still isn't back, I might legitimately take a break from watching the games for a week or so.

Sounds strange for me to say, because even if I've missed games before I've always watched them back, and I usually only miss them if circumstances demand - but I don't know if I can take watching a team that's actually supposed to be good for once just get battered because the injury gods see fit to spite us yet again. Cannot get one solid year. If Zion's out for more than a week this might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me and forces me to take a break.

Feels wild to say during the best season we've had for many many years, but it's just enough

Are you seriously saying that draft order determines how good somebody is? So Marvin Bagley III > Luka right? Thats what you are saying?
    I'm saying that apparently 30 team's of professional scouting groups (and countless analysts that do this for a living) said that Kira was worthy of a lottery pick and that Jose' was not draft-worthy. That's a truth you will never be able to get over. Who will be the better player? Well, you have spoken. So that's that, I suppose. So you are locked in.

PS: Surely you are not comparing the third pick of a particular draft to an undrafted free agent; or are you?

I'm saying that apparently 30 team's of professional scouting groups (and countless analysts that do this for a living) said that Kira was worthy of a lottery pick and that Jose' was not draft-worthy. That's a truth you will never be able to get over. Who will be the better player? Well, you have spoken. So that's that, I suppose. So you are locked in.

PS: Surely you are not comparing the third pick of a particular draft to an undrafted free agent; or are you?
    It doesn't matter where they were drafted. Jokic was drafted 41st and he is the reigning league MVP. Jaxson Hayes was a lottery pick and Herb Jones was a 2nd rounder. So what? The answer to who will be a better player in the future is not locked in, but who is a better player right now, that's a lot more clear considering what we have seen Jose Alvarado do on the court. And if you care about the evaluation of the professionals, then you should defer to the Pelicans staff who sees these guys on a daily basis and has chosen who they think gives better minutes.

Why would that matter at all after a couple of seasons of NBA experience? There is not a doubt that Jose would be worth more on the open market give Kira's injury and lack of success thus far in the NBA. Now, if he were to suddenly start playing well, that could change.

I saw that one player on our team who had 9 turnovers the other night against Memphis in 28:27 played (11.46 TO's per 36) improved significantly against the 76er's. Tonight in 28:10 played he only had 5 turnovers (6.39 TO's per 36). And while his Assist to Turnover Ratio was 1:9 the other night; tonight it was 7:5. Kudos indeed!!!! I have to give credit where credit is due.

See gang, I'm really trying to get into the analytical part of the game.

NOTE: I love keeping it factual.

Amazing stuff. How do you not have a front office job yet

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Amazing stuff. How do you not have a front office job yet
    Maybe one day, when I grow up, I'll be as good as Dell Demps. I bet I can find a Omer Asik somewhere!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I see full-on troll mode activated. Nice.

Sorry...but I need a highly intellijent updated opinion on my main man Herb, when folks back home ask me...will he stick with the Pels and if so, when will they offer another contract & how much will he be making? Inquiring minds back home...wanna know. Just gimme a solid ballpark shot...I don't really need it down to the penny. Some of you folks kinda got me worrying about the Herbsters' future with the Pels.

And Ingram still hasn't gone through a full practice

Before he got covid zion and jose are the players that i think needed some time off. The amount of work Zion has to do offensively plus the beating that he gets on a regular basis is going to take a toll in his body. Without bi everything had to go through zion most of the time and the defense was locked on him.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Before he got covid zion and jose are the players that i think needed some time off. The amount of work Zion has to do offensively plus the beating that he gets on a regular basis is going to take a toll in his body. Without bi everything had to go through zion most of the time and the defense was locked on him.
    I mentioned it in this game, but in this game's 2nd and 3rd quarters, Pels scoring possessions looked like this:

Jonas 3pt make
    Zion fts
    Trey 3pt make (Zion assist)
    Zion layup
    Jonas 2pt
    Willy 2pt
    Zion fts
    Zion layup
    Zion 2pt
    CJ middy
    Zion fts
    Zion 2pt
    CJ pullup
    Zion pullup
    Zion floater
    Herb 2pt (Zion assists)
    CJ pullup
    Zion 2pt
    Zion 2pt
    CJ 2pt (Zion assist)
    Trey dunk (Zion assist)
    Billy layup (Zion assist)
    Billy and 1
    Naji 3pt (Zion assist)

With a handful of exceptions, either Zion was making things happen or they weren't happening. 11 points over 2 quarters that Zion didn't either score or assist on.

Then think of the Wolves game where Zion had 43. This happened starting at the 5 minute mark of the 4th, when it was a 2pt game - these are all the Pels scoring possessions

Trey tech ft
    Naji layup
    Zion fts
    Zion 3pt
    Zion 2pt
    Zion 2pt
    Zion 2pt
    Zion dunk (off a Zion stl)
    Zion fts (game winner)

The offensive load this guy carries when he's on the floor is insane. There are huge sections of games at this point where if Zion ain't doing it, it ain't happening. That's just not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    .....and that is precisely why I have consistently said he has to develop more game to stay on the court and maximize his skills. But the brainiacs in here 'write me off' by saying "what he does can't be stopped". To them I can only 'say, "For now....it (what he does) has been stopped".

He's not 7'1'' like Shaq or even 7'0'' like Giannis; he's 6'5'' (6'6'' at best) who's trying to make his living in the paint against 'Redwoods'. I further back this up by saying his defensive rebounding is borderline attrocious; he's currently rated 69th in the league behind such rebounding giants as Steph Curry, Tyler Herro, DeMar DeRozan, and of course, Josh Hart. He's going to be beat to death until he expands his game. Full Stop!!

But to many, I'm a hater; so carry on!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mentioned it in this game, but in this game's 2nd and 3rd quarters, Pels scoring possessions looked like this:

Jonas 3pt make
    Zion fts
    Trey 3pt make (Zion assist)
    Zion layup
    Jonas 2pt
    Willy 2pt
    Zion fts
    Zion layup
    Zion 2pt
    CJ middy
    Zion fts
    Zion 2pt
    CJ pullup
    Zion pullup
    Zion floater
    Herb 2pt (Zion assists)
    CJ pullup
    Zion 2pt
    Zion 2pt
    CJ 2pt (Zion assist)
    Trey dunk (Zion assist)
    Billy layup (Zion assist)
    Billy and 1
    Naji 3pt (Zion assist)

With a handful of exceptions, either Zion was making things happen or they weren't happening. 11 points over 2 quarters that Zion didn't either score or assist on.

Then think of the Wolves game where Zion had 43. This happened starting at the 5 minute mark of the 4th, when it was a 2pt game - these are all the Pels scoring possessions

Trey tech ft
    Naji layup
    Zion fts
    Zion 3pt
    Zion 2pt
    Zion 2pt
    Zion 2pt
    Zion dunk (off a Zion stl)
    Zion fts (game winner)

The offensive load this guy carries when he's on the floor is insane. There are huge sections of games at this point where if Zion ain't doing it, it ain't happening. That's just not good enough.
    That's part of the reason why you need a 'real point'.

Tomorrow might be painful to watch. But this team has surprised me many times. This might be more of a toss up on the road, but at home they always seem to find a way.

They'll need to find a way again tomorrow.

Thread Information