Pelicans Report

Thread: Starting 5 going forward

Pelicans Starting 5 going forward

Hey guys, this is my first post in a minute so try not to destroy me ��. I think it?s time to try a new starting lineup once BI comes back. I would like to see Dyson start at PG with the rest of the lineup being CJ, BI, Zion, and Valancinas. I know Dyson is a rookie, but dude is unfazed by the moment (minus a couple free throws ). Spacing should be fine because the entire lineup has shown that they can knock down an open 3. Also, this frees CJ up for more off ball. For the record I love what Herb brings to the team, but it’s rough watching Zion kick it out to him after a double and watching him go 2-8 from the 3 point line. The 2nd line would be Jose, Herb, Trey, Hayes, Nance. I think I?d be more excited about the 2nd line because it would bell handlers, shooting, defense, play making, and rebounding with Hayes helping Nance out. Naji could rotate between lineups depending on the matchups/injuries. It?s crazy how deep this team is.
    Last edited by tonej; 12-29-2022 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonej View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first post in a minute so try not to destroy me ��. I think it?s time to try a new starting lineup once BI comes back. I would like to see Dyson start at PG with the rest of the lineup being CJ, BI, Zion, and Valancinas. I know Dyson is a rookie, but dude is unfazed by the moment (minus a couple free throws ). Spacing should be fine because the entire lineup has shown that they can knock down an open 3. Also, this frees CJ up for more off ball. For the record I love what Herb brings to the team, but it’s rough watching Zion kick it out to him after a double and watching him go 2-8 from the 3 point line. The 2nd line would be Jose, Herb, Trey, Hayes, Nance. I think I?d be more excited about the 2nd line because it would bell handlers, shooting, defense, play making, and rebounding with Hayes helping Nance out. Naji could rotate between lineups depending on the matchups/injuries. It?s crazy how deep this team is.
    Give Herb time. The shot will come around enough. Last night was a great example of Herb's value, specifically in a playoff setting. We had no consistent answer for Ant. Dyson is good defensively already, but Herb is best of the best elite. As a team in the west, you have to have that guy in order to match up with Luka, Ja, PG/Kawhi, Booker, Ant. The west is absolutely loaded with star wings.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Give Herb time. The shot will come around enough. Last night was a great example of Herb's value, specifically in a playoff setting. We had no consistent answer for Ant. Dyson is good defensively already, but Herb is best of the best elite. As a team in the west, you have to have that guy in order to match up with Luka, Ja, PG/Kawhi, Booker, Ant. The west is absolutely loaded with star wings.
    I think eventually Dyson may end up as good as Herb defensively. Keep in mind, Dyson is 19, Herb is 24. And Herb's shot will get better, but I doubt it has the ceiling Dyson has.

I still believe in Herb, I just feel like Dyson would be a better fit in the starting 5. Also, we had no answer for Ant until we put Dyson on him. I don’t remember him scoring on Dyson very often. I believe that the overall plan was to have Dyson at PG 1 eventually, but the kids seems to be ready. With Herb starting we’re forced to run CJ at the point more. I know Zion and BI can run the point, but Dyson could make this offense next level. Also, CJ can’t play forever. Herb could be the 2 when CJ starts to decline and we move him to the bench.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I see where you are going with that and I like it. Herb is obviously in the lineup to balance us out defensively but Dyson gives you that as well. Plus he is better than Herb at distributing the ball, and seems to be more reliable spacing from the perimeter, which isnt saying much but it is the thing that pairs well with Zion. Zion breaks down defenses and leaves guys open on the perimeter. Herb is shooting 30 percent from 3point and that is just too painful. Its not good enough for him to get 30 minutes as a wing.

Nope....
    You move Herb to the bench for Trey, not Dyson.
    All those open looks Herb gets go to Trey !!
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

I think the good thing about the Pels - and perhaps a good problem for the future - is that there's a range of starting lineups we could use and none of them would look stupid because we have a couple of guys who are theoretically starter calibre who just chill on our bench. Trey would start on about 20 teams in the NBA. There are a number of teams dyson would start on. Hell, there are teams out there that Jose could probably start on - and Nance.

That inevitably means, however, that we also end up with high level players not starting and it sometimes comes up that maybe one or the other would've been better for a specific matchup. Overall I care less about the starting 5 as a result than I do about the adjustments in game - Willie has been slow to make those his entire coaching career thus far but he has shown a few signs of improvement so I'm just going to be patient. In fairness to Willie, it's not like he's had a healthy roster to play with yet either.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think the good thing about the Pels - and perhaps a good problem for the future - is that there's a range of starting lineups we could use and none of them would look stupid because we have a couple of guys who are theoretically starter calibre who just chill on our bench. Trey would start on about 20 teams in the NBA. There are a number of teams dyson would start on. Hell, there are teams out there that Jose could probably start on - and Nance.

That inevitably means, however, that we also end up with high level players not starting and it sometimes comes up that maybe one or the other would've been better for a specific matchup. Overall I care less about the starting 5 as a result than I do about the adjustments in game - Willie has been slow to make those his entire coaching career thus far but he has shown a few signs of improvement so I'm just going to be patient. In fairness to Willie, it's not like he's had a healthy roster to play with yet either.
    This is what I'm worried about. Willie can make those adjustments out of necessity. I don't think he'll make the right ones when the team is 100% healthy.

I like how Trey and Zion play off each other, but there’s not enough defense on the court if he starts. Ant man was feasting when Trey was guarding him. You let some of the truly great scores in this league get off to a hot start and it can turn into a long night. Look at the Phoenix game when Booker went for almost 60. Had we slowed him early that may not have happened. If you add Trey to the starting 5 you would have to remove CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Nope....
    You move Herb to the bench for Trey, not Dyson.
    All those open looks Herb gets go to Trey !!
    That would sacrifice a lot in defense. Plus not really enough offensive touches to go around with those 5 on the floor.

Trey was rated for his defense coming out of college

No idea what's gone on there

Quote Originally Posted by tonej View Post
    I like how Trey and Zion play off each other, but there’s not enough defense on the court if he starts. Ant man was feasting when Trey was guarding him. You let some of the truly great scores in this league get off to a hot start and it can turn into a long night. Look at the Phoenix game when Booker went for almost 60. Had we slowed him early that may not have happened. If you add Trey to the starting 5 you would have to remove CJ.
    tbh that might be my fav lineup. Dyson - BI - TM3 - Zion - JV is pretty well rounded everywhere. Lets Zion be point Zion with Dyson’s defense and Trey’s perimeter shooting. As others have said they probably won’t move CJ to the bench but maybe we could see this as a closing lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    tbh that might be my fav lineup. Dyson - BI - TM3 - Zion - JV is pretty well rounded everywhere. Lets Zion be point Zion with Dyson’s defense and Trey’s perimeter shooting. As others have said they probably won’t move CJ to the bench but maybe we could see this as a closing lineup.
    Replace JV with Nance (for finishing five)

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Replace JV with Nance (for finishing five)
    maybe, depending on the opponent. JV is by far our best rebounder.

I'll say it again. The starting backcourt will eventually be DD and Kira barring trade.

In any sport, 'Speed Kills'!!!

Yes, that's why Ish Smith is an NBA champion and hasn't been tossed around to more teams than Anthony Tolliver

Yes, that's why Ish Smith is an NBA champion
    Should not have let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Should not have let him go.
    You forgot to log out of your dupe

You forgot to log out of your dupe
    Huh?

Lol

Thread Information