Pelicans Report

Thread: Herb's Shooting

Season Ticket Holder

Herb's Shooting

Thanks to Zion, Herb is getting WIDE. OPEN. LOOKS. Last night he shot 2-8 from 3.

Herb is shooting 30% from 3 this year on 3 attempts per game. Last year he shot 33% on 2.2 attempts per game. He's not a good shooter (insert MM Fred Vinson joke here). Meanwhile, Dyson is shooting 41% from 3 on 1.6 attempts per game. I love me some Herb, but is his defense that much better than Dyson's? Dyson is averaging 20 min per game while Herb is averaging 27 minutes.

I'm not advocating benching Herb for Dyson. But when BI comes back, and we gotta divvy up the minutes, I would argue we can't cut Dyson's minutes. I also think Trey needs to get consistent minutes to continue his development. Perhaps Herb might have to get his minutes cut. But we can't have Herb chucking up 3s at a 30% clip.

Nope, his defense isn't that much better than dyson's - he's physically stronger right now, which helps in other matchups though.

Herb needs to shoot. No, he's not a good shooter, but bad shooters can make up for that in terms of gravity when it comes to volume - if he is wide open from 3 in the corner and there isn't an obvious pass out to a cutter or someone in the dunker spot, he needs to take that.

I agree with regards to the minutes, but I think the real minutes victim when BI returns - left unstated in your post - is Naji. He's currently averaging 26mpg in the games BI is out: is he getting any of those minutes once BI comes back? I know, of course, he did prior to BI going out but that was also pre-dyson in the rotation and I'd much rather be cutting Naji's minutes than dyson's.
    Basketball.

Just would also like to note, Herb is not an exception to missing wide open looks - particularly off Zion passes. Of course, he's one of the most obvious examples of it, but there are others.

Zion has led the league in potential assists numerous nights this season so far, yet his career high in assists is 9. He has hit as many as 19 potential this season. The reality is that he creates a huge number of wide open shots and a lot of them are just being missed so far: expect this to change somewhat over the season, for a number of reasons. Ingram coming back will help, of course, as he's an excellent C&S guy, but CJ is also rounding slightly into form at this point so he should be hitting more of them in January than he did in November, for example.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    My opinion is that Herb minutes need to get cut down a bit if he cant make open 3s. Dyson and Naji are good defenders and they can eat some of those minutes if Herb cant make open shots.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Naji is less than 3% better from 3 and has a lower overall fg% than Herb. I don’t think I’m playing Naji over Herb because he’s a better shooter. At that point I’d have to look at all the other reasons to play one over the other.
    Last edited by donato; 12-20-2022 at 03:13 PM.

Naji should stop shooting any 3 that is not a short corner 3. He is not a good 3 point shooter at all and never has been.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Naji is less than 3% better from 3 and has a lower overall fg% than Herb. I don?t think I?m playing Naji over Herb because he?s a better shooter. At that point I?d have to look at all the other reasons to play one over the other.
    I guess that is true. Unfortunate that these guys can?t be relied upon to hit open 3s.

Season Ticket Holder
    While we're complaining about shooting, Jose needs his ribs to heal up cause he's been shooting terribly recently from 3.

Miwaukee - 0-5 from 3
    PHX - 2-4 from 3
    UTAH - DNP
    UTAH - 0-3 from 3
    PHX - 0-3 from 3

Thread Information