Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rebounding - What to do about it

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So Jonas can hit the open 3 if he's open?
    Thats all you can ask from a big.

Like I have said, nothing wrong with the Jonas, Nance and Willy combo at the expense of giving up assets.

The other players need to fight for defensive rebounds when Jonas, Nance and Zion are dragged out to the 3 point line.

They need more 3 point shooting.
    The problem with ''we need more 3 point shooting'' is that we have a lot of really good 3 point shooters. Ingram, Trey, CJ, Graham, even Nance this year - Jonas is good for a big, dyson looks like his shot might be way further along, etc. The issue is volume and that's nothing to do with the players. It's a purposeful stylistic choice that Green has been open about making on purpose.

Obviously that choice should change, we need to be shooting significantly more, but how do you convince Green to do that?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The problem with ''we need more 3 point shooting'' is that we have a lot of really good 3 point shooters. Ingram, Trey, CJ, Graham, even Nance this year - Jonas is good for a big, dyson looks like his shot might be way further along, etc. The issue is volume and that's nothing to do with the players. It's a purposeful stylistic choice that Green has been open about making on purpose.

Obviously that choice should change, we need to be shooting significantly more, but how do you convince Green to do that?
    Sorry, should have explained myself better.
    More consistent 3 point shooters!!

Yes I agree, they need to be putting up 30-35 attempts at minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Sorry, should have explained myself better.
    More consistent 3 point shooters!!

Yes I agree, they need to be putting up 30-35 attempts at minimum.
    I'm more in the 35-40 camp, but yeah absolutely. Shots need to go up.

The defensive rebounding is still an issue. We won the OREBs tonight by a large margin but lost the dREBs by a fair margin too, and we actually out-shot them from 3. The issue was that they got a ton more 2s because they beat us out on the glass when it came to their side of the floor. It's continuing to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm more in the 35-40 camp, but yeah absolutely. Shots need to go up.

The defensive rebounding is still an issue. We won the OREBs tonight by a large margin but lost the dREBs by a fair margin too, and we actually out-shot them from 3. The issue was that they got a ton more 2s because they beat us out on the glass when it came to their side of the floor. It's continuing to be an issue.
    Thats why I keep saying this team doesn't need to spend anymore assets or $$ on another big.
    A shot blocker would be nice, but you cant have everything. This can be addressed in the offseason.

The players at the end of games need to get rebounds from their wings, like Aminu used to or more recently Hart.
    You need these guys when Zion, Nance and JV are moved out from the paint.

Green also needs to stop being so defensive.
    Having non shooter/spacers on the floor like Herb at the end of games is bad in place of a guy like Trey.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    Interesting evening. JV gets minutes, 18 rebounds. 37 points wasn't bad either lol.

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherNLU View Post
    Interesting evening. JV gets minutes, 18 rebounds. 37 points wasn't bad either lol.
    Well thats the whole point. Nobody is saying JV is terrible. The issue isn't JV, the issue is getting continuously beaten on the glass.

The whole argument is ''this team is getting annihilated on the glass, Green refuses to play JV, is there someone who would fix the issue that Green might play?''

If he decides to just play JV then that's cool, problem solved. Problem is, I suspect this is more an outlier than the birth of a new trend: hopefully I'm wrong and Green has switched up.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think Wendell Carter has the best skill set for this team. Not sure if he?d cost much more than Collins. We also need a good shooting guard that can spread the court. Vassell is my favorite but doubt Pop trades in division but next would be Beasley or Oubre.
    Beasley would be fine. Do not want Oubre. He is a selfish player and has been known to be a locker room issue at times.

The Franchise
    I’m wondering if a 3 way with Hawks, Hornets and us could work. Hearing Collins will be harder to move because of salary so maybe not a lot to get him.
    Hawks get
    Oubre
    Hayes
    Temple (buyout)

Hornets get
    Graham
    Willy

Pels get
    Collins
    Richards

Maybe only have to give up a late protected 1st. Hawks get a scorer and drop salary for this year and next year. Hornets get Graham and a protected first and we get oodles of depth at the 4 and 5 with Zion and Collins at the 4 and Jonas, Richards, and Nance (small ball 5) at the Center spot.

Thread Information