Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would You Change It?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Jazzy Pelicans.

New logo has a pelican smoking a blunt and playing the piano.

No player in the league wants to play for the ”Pelicans”. That disappears completely if we get the Jazz back. It sounds stupid. It is. But it’s reality. Ugly colors and ugly name. Zion’s camp wouldn?t have been as dismayed when we got the #1 pick if we weren’t saddled with a such an easy fix negative. The mardi gras colors are a worthy aesthetic/platform for such a great player like Zion.
    Last edited by akhan786; 12-05-2022 at 01:05 PM.

If you can get Jazz back, you do. “Bobcats” was an established name, but they took Hornets back.

I don’t dislike Pelicans, although I’m not particularly attached to the logo or colors. That said, Jazz is better.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    No player in the league wants to play for the ?Pelicans?. That disappears completely if we get the Jazz back. It sounds stupid. It is. But it?s reality. Ugly colors and ugly name. Zion?s camp wouldn?t have been as dismayed when we got the #1 pick if we weren?t saddled with a such an easy fix negative. The mardi gras colors are a worthy aesthetic/platform for such a great player like Zion.
    Right because if there is one thing we know about kids these days, they sure do love jazz

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Right because if there is one thing we know about kids these days, they sure do love jazz
    It’s a lot better than Pelicans and our current ugly vomit color scheme

No player in the league wants to play for the ?Pelicans?. That disappears completely if we get the Jazz back. It sounds stupid. It is. But it?s reality. Ugly colors and ugly name. Zion?s camp wouldn?t have been as dismayed when we got the #1 pick if we weren?t saddled with a such an easy fix negative. The mardi gras colors are a worthy aesthetic/platform for such a great player like Zion.
    Surely if it were true that the Mardi Gras colour scheme and Jazz name were all it took to get rid of negative stigma surrounding the team, people would want to play in Utah? But they don't.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    It?s a lot better than Pelicans and our current ugly vomit color scheme
    If your vomit is Pelicans color scheme I encourage you to see a doctor immediately

No player in the league wants to play for the ”Pelicans”. That disappears completely if we get the Jazz back. It sounds stupid. It is. But it’s reality. Ugly colors and ugly name. Zion’s camp wouldn?t have been as dismayed when we got the #1 pick if we weren’t saddled with a such an easy fix negative. The mardi gras colors are a worthy aesthetic/platform for such a great player like Zion.
    That's just ridiculous SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Surely if it were true that the Mardi Gras colour scheme and Jazz name were all it took to get rid of negative stigma surrounding the team, people would want to play in Utah? But they don't.
    Your reading comprehension isn’t great or you’re being deliberately obtuse. Pelicans is a terrible name and is not a positive in making a player want to come to play for us. At best, it doesn’t register positive or negative. At worst, it’s another aspect about a historically unsuccessful franchise that makes it disappointing to get drafted by them when you’re a #1 pick like Zion. Zion when imagining himself flying through the air in the NBA wasn’t doing it with a vomit-yellow and blue uniform with Pelicans across his chest.

The “Jazz” by itself doesn’t have any special ability other than being neutral while Pelicans is a negative. Any other name that is better than Pelicans would help too. You can still win the championship obviously but why not do everything in our power to make this organization an attractive product. Especially since now everything under the hood is world class talent/culture/etc. It deserves the platform of good looking uniforms and court and if you think they look good I’m sorry but I don’t think you understand the taste of modern youth bball culture. And if you don’t think that’s an important market to cater to then I’m glad you’re not in our marketing department.
    Last edited by akhan786; 12-05-2022 at 01:23 PM.

Your reading comprehension isn’t great or you’re being deliberately obtuse. Pelicans is a terrible name and is not a positive in making a player want to come to play for us. At best, it doesn’t register positive or negative. At worst, it’s another aspect about a historically unsuccessful franchise that makes it disappointing to get drafted by them when you’re a #1 pick like Zion. Zion when imagining himself flying through the air in the NBA wasn’t doing it with a vomit-yellow and blue uniform with Pelicans across his chest.

The “Jazz” by itself doesn’t have any special ability other than being neutral while Pelicans is a negative. Any other name that is better than Pelicans would help too. You can still win the championship obviously but why not do everything in our power to make this organization an attractive product. Especially since now everything under the hood is world class talent/culture/etc. It deserves the platform of good looking uniforms and court and if you think they look good I’m sorry but I don’t think you understand the taste of modern youth bball culture. And if you don’t think that’s an important market to cater to then I’m glad you’re not in our marketing department.
    I understand if people prefer other uniforms - personally I'm not massively concerned but I do get why others are.

But I just do not think people put the team name into even their top 100 considerations when deciding whether or not a team is an ''attractive product''.

The KNICKS are a massive marketing operation and they are named after PANTS.

Pels should be here to stay jazz kinda sound lame now

We birds that fly high now

Pelican has been the state bird all my life so it has just as much ties to me in the n.o

Season Ticket Holder

Professional basketball players don't care about the name of the team. They want to get paid. They want to live in a town with a good nightlife. They want to win. The team's mascot is irrelevant. You think players like being called "Nuggets"? Or a large body of water in Minnesota? Or a little leprechaun? Or pants? Or a flaming basketball? Or a piece of metal in an engine? I could go on and on and on.

Your posts in this thread are ridiculous and unserious.

Perhaps because I was just a kid when the Jazz played in NO, I have very little memory of their time there. From what I understand, however, they really weren’t that big of a draw in the city at the time. I’m not sure if they ever made the playoffs. The one year, they generated a little buzz, was soon snuffed out when Maravich blew out his knee.

I think people are more jazzed (pun intended) about getting a better, more appropriate, name and jersey for the team.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 12-05-2022 at 03:08 PM.

The Artist    Contributor   
    If anything I think we’re overdue for an update with the uniforms. It’s going on a decade since the rebrand already.

Obviously you've never had to go one on one with a Pelican. They're not called the Cardinals or the Sparrows. Pelican is a bad azz bird. Can't be worse than being named after a defunct dinosaur (Raptors).

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Perhaps because I was just a kid when the Jazz played in NO, I have very little memory of their time there. From what I understand, however, they really weren’t that big of a draw in the city at the time. I’m not sure if they ever made the playoffs. The one year, they generated a little buzz, was soon snuffed out when Maravich blew out his knee.

I think people are more jazzed (pun intended) about getting a better, more appropriate, name and jersey for the team.
    During their time in New Orleans, they set the NBA record for single game attendance. When they left, I think they held 5 of the top ten crowds. They drew almost 27K for a mid November game on a day the city had 8" of rain and street flooding. If I remember correctly, Pete Maravich had to get to the Superdome by boat.

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/11/07/a...asketball.html
    Last edited by RobertM320; 12-05-2022 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    During their time in New Orleans, they set the NBA record for single game attendance. When they left, I think they held 5 of the top ten crowds. They drew almost 35K for a mid November game on a day the city had 8" of rain and street flooding. If I remember correctly, Pete Maravich had to get to the Superdome by boat.
    I was a STH back then (five rows behind Jazz Bench) and you are right, even though it was caverness, the Dome was always rocking, partially due to the Shoe Town, $1.50 General Admission, Nose-Bleed, Terrace Seats. Once the games started, the Nose Bleeders would come down to the Plaza and Loge and fill out the bottom levels of the Dome. Fun times. The night Maravich scored 68 against the Knicks, he sent Phil Jackson (yes, that Phil Jackson) to therapy as he was so frazzled.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I was a STH back then (five rows behind Jazz Bench) and you are right, even though it was caverness, the Dome was always rocking, partially due to the Shoe Town, $1.50 General Admission, Nose-Bleed, Terrace Seats. Once the games started, the Nose Bleeders would come down to the Plaza and Loge and fill out the bottom levels of the Dome. Fun times. The night Maravich scored 68 against the Knicks, he sent Phil Jackson (yes, that Phil Jackson) to therapy as he was so frazzled.
    Great memories. My brother worked for Shoe Town, so I was able to get some of those tickets for many games. We would make our way closer as the game progressed.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    If the Jazz were to give up the name there should be a simultaneous announcement that the Pelicans are taking the name.

I pray they dont take back the mardi gras colors. I cringe every time they wear them during mardi gras season. While the rest of the league has a plethora of different color jerseys, The pels are stuck with ugly mardi gras colors. It's so cliche. Like when a movie is filmed here they can't help but throw in gumbo and poboy to let you know they are cool and in new orleans.

Utah having that name has been the source of a million jokes, eye rolls, and shoulder shrugs... it just really makes no sense historically or contextually. No one's naming a team the St Louis Blue Whales or the Toronto Tropics. Though I imagine there are like 30 musicians in Salt Lake City that love it.

Why not a New Orleans Buccaneer retro Jersey? I was just a kid, but remember going to Loyola Fieldhouse to see them play. In fact in the league's first year of existence they went to the finals before losing to Connie Hawkins and the Pittsburgh Pipers (Hawkins was "Dr. J." before there was a Dr. J.). The starting lineup featured some familiar names: Larry Brown, Doug Moe, Jackie Moreland, Jimmy Jones and Austin 'Red' Robbins.

Hell, while we are at it, some local business can give out replica Red, White, and Blue basketballs.
    Last edited by As I See It; 12-06-2022 at 01:23 PM.

Thread Information