Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: December 2nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ San Antonio Spurs - 13-8

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    CJ went 2-11 for 5 points and we didnt have BI and we still won by 18 points. I know the Spurs suck but we have some chemistry going.

Quote Originally Posted by HorneyTexan View Post
    I agree that CJ needs to play off guard...we need a starting pg who can penetrate and dish but is also good defensively. Oh yeah...we had one with Lonzo. LOL
    Lonzo penetrate and dish? The guy acted like the paint would set him on fire.

This is getting really silly.

Lakers beat the Bucks on their home floor.

Dallas lost to Detroit.

Very important to take care of business against teams you should beat. Even short handed.

Nice win.

I slept through the game, which sucks, so I'll have to watch it back.

But just looking at the box score, I'm pretty pleased by the outcome at least. 18 point win despite CJ and Graham combining for 3/16 shooting. Still no BI, still no Herb, so Zion puts up 30/15/8 with 2 stls and a block.

JV double double, Trey took 12 threes (5/12 shooting), and dyson got the nod to start which I love to see even if apparently he couldn't manage to shoot tonight. That'll happen from time to time, no biggie.
    Basketball.

And 3-0 in those games

Oh and its also nice that Zion is getting the calls now!

Pels 8-2 over their last 10, on a 3 game win streak, currently tied with Nuggets for 2nd seed in the West. Currently playing at a 52 win pace.

Next game is against those same Nuggets who, despite having the same record, have a considerably worse net rating than us and are 6-4 in their last 10 games. I think we can do it.

Suns just lost at home to the Rockets.

Nuggets lost to the Hawks missing Trae, Collins, and Hunter.

Again major props to the Pels handling business when so many other teams are not.

Basketball Guru
    supporting cast of trey,,jose and naji stepped up in the second half........good win..

ZiOn OnLy HaS oNe MoVe!!

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post

ZiOn OnLy HaS oNe MoVe!!
    Said it before, I'll say it again.

Saying someone only has one move doesn't matter if nobody can reliably stop that move. It's true in all sports.

When Khabib was dominating everyone he fought in the UFC, he only ever did so with his ground game. Usually shooting for a single leg, with his head outside the leg. His stand-up, especially early in his UFC run, was laughably bad. Everyone knew it was what he was going for, every fight. Nobody could reliably stop him getting there and controlling them all night.

When Lennox Lewis was dominating the heavyweight scene, everyone knew it was going to be with a thudding long jab all night long before going for the right straight. And yet, somehow, he managed to retire 41-2 with his only two losses avenged.

Until recently, Giannis was heavily criticised for having zero 'bag' because all he ever did was straight line drives to the rim. Still won him 2 MVPs and a ring.

Sure, Zion's going left and to the rim about 85% of the time. Have fun trying to stop him - and if you sell out your entire defense to do so, he'll pick you apart with passing and Ingram will have the easiest night of his life.

Trey Murphy is playing like a borderline all star. He pairs perfectly with Zion because he's so good off ball and adds the spacing that Herb doesn't bring to the table. He's going to start eating in to Herb's minutes and the only the stopping him from taking Herb's spot in the starting lineup is that we'd become unbalanced in the 2nd unit and miss his scoring too much. Unless of course, if CJ joined the 2nd unit... i know i know its unlikely but man Dyson - BI - TM3 - Zion - JV is such a well balanced starting lineup. And Jose - CJ - Herb - Nance would be an insane off the bench

Really do not want to give into the narrative, but Zion looks way better without CJ in the lineup with him.

Would rather BI move to the 2 and Trey starts at the 3 and DD at the 1

Would rather CJ coming off the bench with Herb and Jose and Larry.

That will never happen though

That should be "flair" not "flare" though the words sound the same.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpagenola View Post
    That should be "flair" not "flare" though the words sound the same.
    I don't think these rags employ editors like that anymore. I've seen much worse.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Really do not want to give into the narrative, but Zion looks way better without CJ in the lineup with him.

Would rather BI move to the 2 and Trey starts at the 3 and DD at the 1

Would rather CJ coming off the bench with Herb and Jose and Larry.

That will never happen though
    To be honest, everyone looks better without CJ. They look worse with him on the court. They do a lot more standing around and look way more confused on both ends. With CJ not being able to stop any penetration at all, it makes Zion and Jonas look much worse as defenders. That’s what people didn’t realize until now. CJ is what they needed last year and now he isn’t needed at all. Maybe, he will start to play within the offense, but he isn’t doing that now. He dribbles way too much. They simply need him to come off the bench, but like others have said, he more than likely would disagree with the notion.

At this point in the season, this is how our team's top 5 in EPM stack up:

- Zion Williamson: +5.0, 13th in the NBA (+3.2 offensive, +1.9 defensive)
    - Brandon Ingram: +2.8, 38th in the NBA (+2.5 offensive, +0.3 defensive)
    - Larry Nance Jr: +0.7, 94th in the NBA (-0.2 offensive, +0.9 defensive)
    - Jose Alvarado: +0.5, 102nd in the NBA (-0.2 offensive, +0.7 defensive)
    - Jonas Valanciunas: +0.0, 124th in the NBA (+2.1 offensive, -2.1 defensive).

EPM is a pretty volatile stat so it shouldn't be taken as gospel at all, especially this early in the season (for example, I don't think JV is even close to being that big a deficit on defense) but it's fairly telling that the two names you'd expect to see at the top are there*, and CJ isn't even close.

*The names you'd expect to see at the bottom are there too: Jax, Billy, and Temple are the three worst EPM ratings on the team. Jax is currently -6.8 EPM, which is in the 1st percentile. He is ranked joint 403rd out of 404 spots.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 12-03-2022 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    To be honest, everyone looks better without CJ. They look worse with him on the court. They do a lot more standing around and look way more confused on both ends. With CJ not being able to stop any penetration at all, it makes Zion and Jonas look much worse as defenders. That?s what people didn?t realize until now. CJ is what they needed last year and now he isn?t needed at all. Maybe, he will start to play within the offense, but he isn?t doing that now. He dribbles way too much. They simply need him to come off the bench, but like others have said, he more than likely would disagree with the notion.
    After the Lakers game AD said point blank their strategy on offense was to attack CJ with whoever he was matched up against. Also agree that the offense seems out of sync with him, but I think he would be great in the 2nd unit where he would be the clear #1 scoring option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Damn, Zion really knows his hoops history. Slick Watts and Fly Williams aren't names you hear referenced every day by guys under the age of 40!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    Damn, Zion really knows his hoops history. Slick Watts and Fly Williams aren't names you hear referenced every day by guys under the age of 40!
    I remember when Slick played with the Jazz.

Thread Information