Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: November 28th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Oklahoma City Thunder - 11-8

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Yeah people forget how little NBA game experience Zion actually has.
    It's why the "people know what moves Zion has" thing is odd to me. He hasn't needed to show a wide plethora of moves. Doesn't mean he doesn't have them necessarily. Hell. As the game gets tighter he is taking a few, admittedly awkward, shots from longer distance from the hoop.

I really need to see a Zion playoff series. What shall he do when a talented defensive team walls him off consistently each time? Can he score from the 2nd level?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's why the "people know what moves Zion has" thing is odd to me. He hasn't needed to show a wide plethora of moves. Doesn't mean he doesn't have them necessarily. Hell. As the game gets tighter he is taking a few, admittedly awkward, shots from longer distance from the hoop.

I really need to see a Zion playoff series. What shall he do when a talented defensive team walls him off consistently each time? Can he score from the 2nd level?
    I also have a hard time with that criticism because Zion scores against iso defenders better than anyone in the NBA. The idea that people have figured him out just isn't borne out by the data. The only thing that has stopped Zion from scoring is double teams, in which case the smart move for him is to kick it out to the open man.

Season Ticket Holder
    I also have a hard time with that criticism because Zion scores against iso defenders better than anyone in the NBA. The idea that people have figured him out just isn't borne out by the data. The only thing that has stopped Zion from scoring is double teams, in which case the smart move for him is to kick it out to the open man.
    Yup. He had 8 assists the other night.

Zion will be fine. He hasn't even had a full, healthy offseason to add stuff to his game.

It's very funny because it's the same type of criticism that we've seen proven wrong time and again by talented players.

People said Shaq was one dimensional in LA, still won 3 rings there.
    People said Giannis had 'no bag', and was just a straight line dunker; still picked up MVPs and a ring and may well get another at some point.
    People were saying Lebron was predictable and one dimensional a few years, literally as he Turnaround Jumper'd the Raptors into playoff oblivion.

The reality is that big, strong players will use their strength to score, usually with their dominant hand, more often than anything else. Everyone knows that. The question isn't what they will do, the question is how you can stop it? If it's so easy, just stop Zion doing it. Nobody has been able to do so with any consistency yet.

When Zion was in high school, they said it wouldn't work when the competition took a step up in college. Then he dominated in college and they said it wouldn't work when he took a step up in the NBA. Then he got to the NBA and dominated and they said wait for the playoffs.

At some point you have to stop goalpost moving and just appreciate the talent.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's very funny because it's the same type of criticism that we've seen proven wrong time and again by talented players.

People said Shaq was one dimensional in LA, still won 3 rings there.
    People said Giannis had 'no bag', and was just a straight line dunker; still picked up MVPs and a ring and may well get another at some point.
    People were saying Lebron was predictable and one dimensional a few years, literally as he Turnaround Jumper'd the Raptors into playoff oblivion.

The reality is that big, strong players will use their strength to score, usually with their dominant hand, more often than anything else. Everyone knows that. The question isn't what they will do, the question is how you can stop it? If it's so easy, just stop Zion doing it. Nobody has been able to do so with any consistency yet.

When Zion was in high school, they said it wouldn't work when the competition took a step up in college. Then he dominated in college and they said it wouldn't work when he took a step up in the NBA. Then he got to the NBA and dominated and they said wait for the playoffs.

At some point you have to stop goalpost moving and just appreciate the talent.
    Surely you are not comparing Shaq, Giannis or Lebron to.......

Nah, you can't be.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Surely you are not comparing Shaq, Giannis or Lebron to.......

Nah, you can't be.
    It is clear that what he is saying is about those players being criticized for being one dimensional early in their career.

Thread Information