Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: November 21st - New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - 9-7

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Exactly. Seen a lot of Warriors fans on twitter complaining about happy Pels fans because it wasn't the 'real' Warriors. Who cares? Team can only play the team in front of them, nobody felt bad for us in past years when we had massive injury issues. We played the Warriors that we were given and hey, they might not be 'real' but that W sure is.
    And if it were to come down to tiebreakers at the end of the season to determine seeding, we're guaranteed no worse than breakeven for the season series.

That went exactly like you'd expect from a serious playoff team.

That said, the NBA needs to go ahead and cut the number of games down to 72 or 70. Just eliminate all b2b.

The NBA has already had several days with zero nationally televised games. Not even on NBA tv.

82 games just isn't worth it.

Zion moved his feet very well on defense. Nice to see improvement.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    hope things keep up like this, because I am enjoying the relative silence of the anti Graham folks lately....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

They will spend thanksgiving back in new orleans. Thats nice of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    hope things keep up like this, because I am enjoying the relative silence of the anti Graham folks lately....
    He's been much much better than last year! Still would prefer to see his minutes go to dyson but most of his problems are lineup related rather than individual this year.

Last Year: 34.1% 3pt%, 51.4%TS, -1.0 BPM
    This year so far: 41.7% 3pt%, 57%TS, +0.1BPM

His FTr is up, his TOV% is down, his BLK% is up, and his 3PTr is up.

What more could you want?
    Basketball.

Our next 5 games, and the record of the team we're facing:

- Spurs (6-12)
    - Grizzlies (10-7)
    - Thunder (7-10)
    - Raptors (9-8)
    - Spurs again (6-12)

We need to go into this 5 game stretch thinking we can win at least 3 of them. Possibly 4. It's not even impossible that we win all 5. But if we aim for 3, we'd be entering december 13-9. 14-8 isn't off the table.

This is a good place to be.

Our next 5 games, and the record of the team we're facing:

- Spurs (6-12)
    - Grizzlies (10-7)
    - Thunder (7-10)
    - Raptors (9-8)
    - Spurs again (6-12)

We need to go into this 5 game stretch thinking we can win at least 3 of them. Possibly 4. It's not even impossible that we win all 5. But if we aim for 3, we'd be entering december 13-9. 14-8 isn't off the table.

This is a good place to be.
    Yep. No Morant for the Grizz, right?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Zion moved his feet very well on defense. Nice to see improvement.
    I thought so too. He even kept Poole in front of him for the most part, which is no easy task. Overall I liked Zion’s game even though he wasn’t terribly aggressive. I think one of the problems we had on offense was Zion was forcing the issue a bit too much and stopping the flow of the ball. I think Zion made a conscious effort to keep the ball moving in this one.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I thought so too. He even kept Poole in front of him for the most part, which is no easy task. Overall I liked Zion’s game even though he wasn’t terribly aggressive. I think one of the problems we had on offense was Zion was forcing the issue a bit too much and stopping the flow of the ball. I think Zion made a conscious effort to keep the ball moving in this one.
    He sees the court really well. He will be averaging at least 8 assists a game soon enough

To keep it real, I saw a lot of matador defense last night. Of course my glasses aren't 'rose-colored'.

On the flip side, DD is the real deal. He will be a force by the time he's 22...just like TM3.

That was nice win a bery good home-stand. Let’s move on further

That said, the NBA needs to go ahead and cut the number of games down to 72 or 70. Just eliminate all b2b.

The NBA has already had several days with zero nationally televised games. Not even on NBA tv.

I see a lot of people saying this, but if teams see an advantage to getting their stars more rest and having them play ~70 games instead of 82, won't they see the same advantage by having them play ~60 instead of 72?

Do you really think players would forego 12% (or more) of their salary to support a shorter schedule? If not, do you think the governors would be willing subsidize the lost revenue for the sake of player salaries. Right now, the players have it good; they get paid to play an 82 game schedule and most play considerably less.

So, I guess it depends on your perspective as to whether an 82 game schedule is 'worth it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    The issue has nothing to do with ''Zion stopping the flow of the ball''. When Zion has the offense and is creating from the perimeter, the team offense is fantastic. Well above league average.

The problem is that, for most of this season, we've played Zion primarily out of the post and while Zion is fine from the post, the post itself is not an efficient driver of team offense.

Zion needs to be aggressive to maximise this team. He just needs to be aggressive as a creator from the perimeter. When he does that, the offense soars. He needs to be given the lineups and opportunities to make that happen, but it's also on him to take those opportunities when they come up. Before the injury, he was starting to do that and then in this first game back he was being timid again - hopefully it doesn't last long and he can get back to the good stuff.

An in-season tournament played around the time the All-Star Game is traditionally played, with playoff ramifications and large payouts to the players on winning teams, would solve a lot of the NBA?s problems. They would be able to reduce the number of regular season games to minimize back-to-backs. A tournament with actual stakes would put eyeballs on the NBA after the NFL has wrapped up its season, thus generating revenue to offset the loss of regular season games.
    Last edited by Spec3333; 11-23-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The issue has nothing to do with ''Zion stopping the flow of the ball''. When Zion has the offense and is creating from the perimeter, the team offense is fantastic. Well above league average.

The problem is that, for most of this season, we've played Zion primarily out of the post and while Zion is fine from the post, the post itself is not an efficient driver of team offense.

Zion needs to be aggressive to maximise this team. He just needs to be aggressive as a creator from the perimeter. When he does that, the offense soars. He needs to be given the lineups and opportunities to make that happen, but it's also on him to take those opportunities when they come up. Before the injury, he was starting to do that and then in this first game back he was being timid again - hopefully it doesn't last long and he can get back to the good stuff.
    I think Zion is better on the perimeter because it lets him get a full head of steam to go downhill to the basket which is practically unstoppable. He can play with his back to the basket just fine but its not where he is the most special.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    An in-season tournament played around the time the All-Star Game is traditionally played, with playoff ramifications and large payouts to the players on winning teams, would solve a lot of the NBA?s problems. They would be able to reduce the number of regular season games to minimize back-to-backs. A tournament with actual stakes would put eyeballs on the NBA after the NFL has wrapped up its season, thus generating revenue to offset the loss of regular season games.
    This is all fine and good, until the first time a Giannis or a Jayson Tatum or a Luka Doncic suffers a season ending injury in this "tournament" and costs their team a shot at the title. The only thing that matters is championships. Don't believe me? Ask any Lakers or Celtics fan.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I think Zion is better on the perimeter because it lets him get a full head of steam to go downhill to the basket which is practically unstoppable. He can play with his back to the basket just fine but its not where he is the most special.
    Absolutely agree.

Maximises his vision too. Zion is good in the post, but even good post scoring isn't that great for team offense.

Will post scoring completely die?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Will post scoring completely die?
    Nah, it'll always be there as a tool in the arsenal, especially for superstars who can work it at a high level (Embiid, Jokic, etc). It allows you to take advantage of certain mismatches, and by having it as an option you stop yourself becoming one-dimensional; it's always there as a release valve for poor offense. Puts a floor on your scoring potential.

But the days of low post scoring being a viable primary option for a good NBA offense are pretty much already dead.

Thread Information