Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: November 16th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Chicago Bulls - 8-6

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I hope he sits out that game. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but we seem to play better as a team when Zion is not in the lineup. Maybe the team just needs time to form chemistry with him on the court, but right now that's the way things appear to me.
    YouTube videos are starting to pop up questioning Zion's fit, let alone the two main Pels forums. It's definitely not just you

Zion's defensive effort has been pitiful. I wouldn't even start him when he comes back. I would give Trey the start. He's bringing it big time on both ends
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-17-2022 at 11:37 AM.

I saw a post on a San Antonio site recently where someone proposed a trade of Poeltl for Trey Murphy, Jose or Dyson, and a 1st round draft pick. Just in case anyone's worried that Pelican fans are undervaluing their own young players more than the cheerleaders of other teams...

I hope he sits out that game. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but we seem to play better as a team when Zion is not in the lineup. Maybe the team just needs time to form chemistry with him on the court, but right now that's the way things appear to me.
    Ridiculous. It amazes me how CJ breaks out of a long shooting slump and somehow it is due to Zion missing 2 games.

Honestly with this 3pt shooting we have in the last 2 games Zion would have looked amazing with all that space to work. I think this is just coincidental timing more than anything. We were saying the same thing when BI was hurt.

His defense does need to impove though. Too many guys out of position trying to cover for his constant blown assignments.

We seem to play faster without Zion (eye test). He raises the ultimate ceiling of the team too much to ignore, but it will take some time to adjust to playing with him (just like we needed to adjust after CJ trade). We will also improve over the course of the season by replacing the Graham/Naji minutes with more Trey/Dyson/Jose.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think there are some fair questions about fit with Zion. It could be the JV and Zion arent the best match and he pairs better with Nance. We have plenty of time to figure it out. What does not make any sense is fickle fans turning against Zion.

Basketball Guru
    you are right...the more time zion is on the court with CJ and BI to form chemistry to figure things out will improve the team..so why do you want him to sit out?

The difference I see when Zion is on the court is that the team feels obligated to force the action to go through him since he is the superstar. Opponents have a better idea where the ball is going. When he is out, the ball goes wherever to whoever moving faster and more randomly. We did a great job last night of feeding Jonas while that was working, then using others to penetrate when it wasn't. I don't think Zion or Bi are selfish, but it is natural for other "lesser" players to feed them even though it may not be best for the team. I love the depth we have and the way we use it, and hope we keep doing that until we win the finals countering years of "shortened playoff rotation" accepted wisdom. The guys are playing hard, having fun and shooting 3s well.

By the way, I heard that CJ McCollum had lunch with Vince Fredson before the Grizzlies game which instantly cured his shooting slump.....

Boston really has no one to guard # 1....Neither Grant Williams nor Jason Tatum can. Problem is, as it always is, # 1's defense (or lack of thereof).

In fairness to BI and Zion I think the players play much harder when one of them is out. Guys are fighting for minutes. One thing is clear though. We need another mobile big man with length (that can competently defend). Jonas is great but he needs a big that can compliment him and deal with certain matchups. Nance is a big miss when he is out.

And Dyson needs to keep getting minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    The difference I see when Zion is on the court is that the team feels obligated to force the action to go through him since he is the superstar. Opponents have a better idea where the ball is going. When he is out, the ball goes wherever to whoever moving faster and more randomly. We did a great job last night of feeding Jonas while that was working, then using others to penetrate when it wasn't. I don't think Zion or Bi are selfish, but it is natural for other "lesser" players to feed them even though it may not be best for the team. I love the depth we have and the way we use it, and hope we keep doing that until we win the finals countering years of "shortened playoff rotation" accepted wisdom. The guys are playing hard, having fun and shooting 3s well.

By the way, I heard that CJ McCollum had lunch with Vince Fredson before the Grizzlies game which instantly cured his shooting slump.....
    I wish MM was still online....

The Cleveland Cavaliers are another prime example of why it's TOO EARLY to overreact to anything.

Also, how can BI or Zion be selfish if they've had multiple 5+ assist games already? BI had 9 last night.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    The difference I see when Zion is on the court is that the team feels obligated to force the action to go through him since he is the superstar. Opponents have a better idea where the ball is going.
    Except that has not been the case. One of the complaints has been that Willie has not drawn plays for Zion. In 3 consecutive games he had less than 6 shots in the 3rd quarter of each game.

Maybe if Zion develops a jumpshot and jumper, this offense would look way different

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Maybe if Zion develops a jumpshot and jumper, this offense would look way different
    Zion is the best iso scorer in the NBA. His offense is just fine. My guy needs to develop on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Zion is the best iso scorer in the NBA. His offense is just fine. My guy needs to develop on defense.
    This! Defense will be the key with Zion for this team to get even better. Plus in order for the trio of zion bi and cj to play together all 3 has to be a lot better on that end. That's why the lineup of the 1/2 scorers with 4/3 defenders worked so well for us.

Thread Information