Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: November 15th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Memphis Grizzlies - 7-6

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They are currently 8 - 6 after starting the year with 8 of 11 on the road. And not exactly against teams like Detroit and Orlando. And lost 3 of losses games in OT. One a miracle L at L.A.

What record should they have right now?
    What does your comment have to do with anything regarding what I think TNT is trying to say??

I’m trying state my interpretation on what TNT crew is trying to say, not add my own opinion on it

I think it’s a lazy take by Charles. Sure the Warriors trio had clearly defined roles—Steph was lead guard, Klay a spot up assassin, and Draymond the muscle on defense—but plenty of great teams have had stars that were multiple. Jordan and Pippen overlapped as do Tatum and Brown today. Our guys are versatile but honestly Zion is a paint guy, BI midrange and CJ more of a pure shooter. They can all do other things, but their roles should sort along those lines over time. Give t a season!

Who would have thought playing Dyson would help this team.... Oh, wait!?!?

Dyson playing well means we won't see him tomorrow against the bulls....

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No he's not. By any stretch of the imagination.

How can you declare things about players that have played what...5 games together? But he doesn't know that because as usual, he has no clue. He doesn't watch this team play.

I really need to follow my own advice and hit the mute button when they talk. Lost another 10 IQ points listening to that drivel.
    It is a lazy take by someone who does not pay attention to the team. Why did they look better tonight? Maybe because CJ actually started hitting some of the open looks. The fact that he was in a slump and missing wide open looks was not because Zion was on the court. That is ridiculous.

I didn't catch the game but I seen the highlights, great win on national TV. I was reading the comments on YT and this game intrigue a lot of other teams fans. Good win.

I didn't like Jose not getting minutes until I realized that Willie's strategy was basically to rest him all game and then unleash him on Morant for the entire 4th quarter. Worked very well in this one.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    I didn't like Jose not getting minutes until I realized that Willie's strategy was basically to rest him all game and then unleash him on Morant for the entire 4th quarter. Worked very well in this one.
    Right? Earlier in the thread we were talking about how Ja played the entire first quarter and somebody threw shade at Willie Green, talking about how that is what a good coach does, let the guy with the hot hand keep playing. But idk looked like Ja slowed down a little bit in the 4th quarter. Maybe we did not get out coached at all.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    It is a lazy take by someone who does not pay attention to the team. Why did they look better tonight? Maybe because CJ actually started hitting some of the open looks. The fact that he was in a slump and missing wide open looks was not because Zion was on the court. That is ridiculous.
    spot on.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Dyson really stood out with the rebounding and defense. He is EONS better than Graham. Graham should only play when everyone else is injured. His lack of defense is a liability, and it really shows when compared to Dyson.

That cj larry herb dyson jose lineup was nice! Then when bi subbed in for dyson we still had 3 good defenders on the floor

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Dyson really stood out with the rebounding and defense. He is EONS better than Graham. Graham should only play when everyone else is injured. His lack of defense is a liability, and it really shows when compared to Dyson.
    Weird how everyone but Willie can see it

At least he's benched Jaxson's useless anoos for good it seems

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I think it?s a lazy take by Charles. Sure the Warriors trio had clearly defined roles?Steph was lead guard, Klay a spot up assassin, and Draymond the muscle on defense?but plenty of great teams have had stars that were multiple. Jordan and Pippen overlapped as do Tatum and Brown today. Our guys are versatile but honestly Zion is a paint guy, BI midrange and CJ more of a pure shooter. They can all do other things, but their roles should sort along those lines over time. Give t a season!
    Jordan and Pippen were two of the best perimeter defenders of all time. You can’t have too many great defenders on your team. Tatum and Brown are two good perimeter defenders. BI and especially Zion are not. When you throw in another mediocre defender in CJ, and you have a center who’s not a good perimeter defender and doesn’t have the ability to play goalie and make up for your teammates mistakes with quick lateral movement and shot blocking, you may score a lot of points on one end but give up a lot on the other.

And offensively there is only one ball. When both Zion and BI play their best offense by dribbling from the perimeter into the defense, while the other just stands and watches, you’re not optimizing your offensive talent either.

Jordan and Pippen meshed really well offensively. Pippen was a point forward in the triangle offense, while Jordan primarily became a mid range post up player. Which seems ridiculously inefficient, except for the fact that Jordan was an absolute killer in that role. Pippen also became really dangerous by being a catch and shoot guy from the corner.

While Herb has been a bit disappointing this year, I wonder how much of that has to do with him not only having to guard the best offensive player on the opposing team, but also having to constantly try and rotate to cover up for his teammates inability to keep their defensive assignment in front of them.

I’m not saying the situation can’t improve with the personnel we currently have. It can, up to a point. Zion has to get better defensively and become a better rebounder. Dyson needs to get more minutes. Ultimately it would help if Dyson improves offensively enough to get into the starting lineup, even if we have to have someone like CJ come off the bench. BI needs to adjust a bit more with Zion on the court and learn to play off the ball offensively a bit more.

But ultimately, we probably need to find a center that’s more of a defensive presence and shot blocker than Jonas. Jonas and Zion really don’t mesh well at all. We need a center that can cover for our starter’s perimeter defensive liabilities.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 11-16-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Too bad Jax has all the raw ability to be a great rim protector, but none of the nous

Season Ticket Holder
    Yes, CJ, Dyson, Jose, and Nance were exceptional, but let's not forget Trey.

Trey is gonna be a problem. You can't leave him open for 3, and if you run him off the line, he'll dunk on your whole squad.

What a game - Wow !

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Too bad Jax has all the raw ability to be a great rim protector, but none of the nous
    Yup, and he'll never catch on from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Yup, and he'll never catch on from the bench.
    Then take it to Birmingham....AGAIN!!

I can see that we might want to recast the center position for someone more switchable who offers more rim protection. I was really disappointed when they didn't use the 17th pick in 2019 to take Brandon Clarke (as were many others on the board). Nance somewhat erases that mistake as he is a very similar player and I don't think it's debatable that our end of game defense is better with Larry on the floor. In general, I'm a big fan of "small ball" line ups featuring a bunch of 6'7"-6'-9" guys with 7'+ wingspans. We've got the Condors (Herb, Larry, Trey, Brandon, and Naji all have 7'+ wingspans and Dyson is pretty close). I'll be interested to see if EJ can play some center as well (6'7" with 7' wingspan) and Big Ten All Defensive team 2 years in a row.

Of course, by metrics, Jaxon would seem ideal for this role, but something just hasn't clicked for him, at least not yet...

Thread Information