Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: November 9th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Chicago Bulls - 5-5

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    More talent than Tatum and Brown? Yes. But they have a multiple year chemistry head start. As this season should be showing everyone, talent means less than fit and willingness to do non scoring little things

To me, the biggest benefit would be it would force CJ into his correct role, but maybe Zion gets over all his mental doubts and becomes the killer this team needs. The good thing with KD is that he is already that
    Curious what mental doubts you think Zion has? I would really love to hear how he feels about everything

He has said it himself— there are all these things he is capable of and does in scrimmages and practice that he is just too afraid to do in games because of fear of failure

It’s a perfectionist syndrome and you gotta lose that in sports. The best hitters fail 70% of the time. The best 3 pt shooters miss 60% of the time. The best QBs throw an INT and come back and assume risk on the very next play. Honestly, what Zion is describing is very similar to what Ben Simmons was saying about himself two or three years ago and look at his downfall

Not saying that will happen but that’s the worst case scenario for this. What he needs to do is develop Steph’s mentality and that will only come with failing at things and realizing the world didn’t end when you failed
    @mcnamara247

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I cant believe the Pels were really gonna take Dieng over Sharpe if Dyson went 7th. Unreal. Griff is lucky the Blazers took Sharpe or that would be an insane L on his record
    And the production dropoff from CJ makes it even worse. We still dont have a traditional 2 way shooting guard. That would be nice...

Mac I'm gonna have to mute you for a few weeks buddy. I get what you're trying to accomplish which is basically tempering expectations of Zion, but I think you're taking it way too far. Zion seems to be a point of obsession for you at this point both on here and Twitter, and I just don't see the purpose in criticizing the kid so relentlessly in his 11th game of the season coming off a long hiatus (while he's averaging 23/7/4 on 54/40/70)

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

And it goes on endlessly. I can't get ehind that at this stage in the season and his career.

And for that reason, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    And the production dropoff from CJ makes it even worse. We still dont have a traditional 2 way shooting guard. That would be nice...
    CJ is playing through what appears to be a broken finger on his shooting hand. And please don't mention Sharpe in the "two way" conversation

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Mac I'm gonna have to mute you for a few weeks buddy. I get what you're trying to accomplish which is basically tempering expectations of Zion, but I think you're taking it way too far. Zion seems to be a point of obsession for you at this point both on here and Twitter, and I just don't see the purpose in criticizing the kid so relentlessly in his 11th game of the season coming off a long hiatus (while he's averaging 23/7/4 on 54/40/70)

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

And it goes on endlessly. I can't get ehind that at this stage in the season and his career.

And for that reason, I'm out.
    Typical 2022 - block out the people we disagree with and go back to our echo chamber instead of counterpointing with better facts

Can’t say I am surprised

Typical 2022 - block out the people we disagree with and go back to our echo chamber instead of counterpointing with better facts

Can’t say I am surprised
    I have no interest in arguing online whether Zion is a beta or an alpha. I'll leave that to the alphas

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    CJ is playing through what appears to be a broken finger on his shooting hand. And please don't mention Sharpe in the "two way" conversation
    Looking back at that sentence..I phrased that poorly. It was a different thought. I haven't even watched Sharpe play this season. I was trying to honestly think of our last actual 2 way guard.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Looking back at that sentence..I phrased that poorly. It was a different thought. I haven't even watched Sharpe play this season. I was trying to honestly think of our last actual 2 way guard.
    I see what you mean now. Probably Jrue. That's why we drafted Dyson though

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    If he’s playing through that, it’s hurting the team. Let me say why. CJ is atrocious at defense, if he can’t score and continues to shoot 27%, what use is he? Jose is more than capable of holding that spot down with a healthy finger. Also, how did you find out about the finger? I do notice him holding it a lot, but is it broken or jammed?
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 11-10-2022 at 10:37 AM.

I have no interest in arguing online whether Zion is a beta or an alpha. I'll leave that to the alphas
    That’s fine. My last question for you and then you can run away

When WILL it be fair to fully evaluate Zion? Like, if he actual date, age, number of games, whatever

Because since the beginning, the constant push back is that he is too young or hasn’t played enough game or now it’s that the system isn’t using him right, whatever

Always a reason that we shouldn’t evaluate. So all I ask is to know when it will be fair so I can come back then.

When WILL it be fair to fully evaluate Zion? Like, if he actual date, age, number of games, whatever

Because since the beginning, the constant push back is that he is too young or hasn’t played enough game or now it’s that the system isn’t using him right, whatever

Always a reason that we shouldn’t evaluate. So all I ask is to know when it will be fair so I can come back then.
    The Pels have three players in their starting lineup that can only score and nothing else. One apparently is trying to score with broken fingers. This can’t end well, right?

I know this will never happen, but if you really want to maximize this team, you move Zion to the bench.

Starters: CJ, Naji (until Dyson is ready than you move him to this spot), Herb, BI, Jonas.

Jonas gives you the rebounding and the post play you need, CJ and BI give you the shooting, Herb and Naji/Dyson gives you the perimeter defense and dirty work.

Bench: You bring in Zion, surround him with "shooters", unfortunately the best we can give him right now is Trey and Graham, let Jose run the point and have Nance as your small ball center. Then hope that Zion and the three point shooting will be enough offense to offset the defense. And try to get Jose's energy to keep this group moving with pace.

Like I said previously, I want to see this team on the homestand when they get a chance to actually practice together and learn each other. They have played the least amount of home games in the NBA, which also means the least amount of practices in the NBA. Remember, they did not have a camp together because of course they were hurt. If it is December 11th and Zion is still having games where he takes 11 shots and is deferring to lesser players and the offense looks funky, I'll be worried.

Again, my issue is not in criticizing Zion or any of the rest of the players from game to game. That is perfectly reasonable. Zion had a bad game here or BI played poorly defensively tonight or Zion needs to give more effort, etc. Where I think it becomes unreasonable is continuously talking about a hypothetical ceiling, and not being able to enjoy the game and the process because of an obsession with Zion's flaws. Basketball is an outlet for me, and not necessarily something I want to be upset over every night until something upsetting actually happens (this line of thinking is not always successful. I was pissed at the lack of rebounding by the team in the final 6 minutes or so last night)

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    The Pels have three players in their starting lineup that can only score and nothing else. One apparently is trying to score with broken fingers. This can’t end well, right?
    We just beat the Bulls in Chicago. This is a perfect example of the issue I have with what is happening on this board lol

Season Ticket Holder

Can’t say I am surprised
    Oh come on. What is there REALLY to debate?

You think Zion is a soft beta. Pelfanatic disagrees and gave his reasons and doesn't want to debate anymore. Whether Zion is a beta isn't really a meaty topic like lineups and minutes where debate can be had.

We just beat the Bulls in Chicago. This is a perfect example of the issue I have with what is happening on this board lol
    To each his own. I don’t think a 500 team is a complete product. I still think they need to improve a lot.

To each his own. I don’t think a 500 team is a complete product. I still think they need to improve a lot.
    I agree. We have a ton to work on, and this isn't a championship roster as constructed. Where I find intrigue is figuring out what the missing piece might be

I agree. We have a ton to work on, and this isn't a championship roster as constructed. Where I find intrigue is figuring out what the missing piece might be
    I think it’s a defensive anchor in the middle. I just don’t think CJ or Zion are being removed from the starting lineup, so it leaves VAL as a weak link because the other two can’t stop penetrating guards or wings. I know that doesn’t sound right, but you get my thoughts. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Oh come on. What is there REALLY to debate?

You think Zion is a soft beta. Pelfanatic disagrees and gave his reasons and doesn't want to debate anymore. Whether Zion is a beta isn't really a meaty topic like lineups and minutes where debate can be had.
    So there is nothing to debate on Zion? He is immune from what we do on message boards with every other player, coach, team, etc?

That’s just wild to me. You can applaud him on anything he does well but when there are negatives “it’s too early” or “he hasn’t played enough games” or “he’s still rusty”

Always something. But we only give that grace when it’s our player and we like them. In the future, I have zero doubt this board will be united in ragging on him when he is on another team, still disappointing

But fine, a fair debate we can have is this simple: Do people think Zions peak will be better or worse than AD’s? The dude we clown every day. Who here thinks Zion’s peak exceeds his?

That fair to ask? A reasonable question? Or is that somehow offensive too?

If you want pure joy and just to hear that the thing you love is great, I don’t think the internet is the place to go. Just my 2 cents

Is like a girl who posts pictures of herself saying she just wants the positive, reaffirming comments and nobody to point out her flaws or to sexualize her.

It’s that unrealistic IMO.

Anyone who says Zion is better than AD, is just angry about him leaving. AD was a monster for the Pels. Lakers will never see the AD that Pels had scoring 35+ for multiple nights to will them to a playoff birth. The Pels version of AD is the one Lebron was drooling over. Luckily, he got the one he has now.

Anyone who says Zion is better than AD, is just angry about him leaving. AD was a monster for the Pels. Lakers will never see the AD that Pels had scoring 35+ for multiple nights to will them to a playoff birth. The Pels version of AD is the one Lebron was drooling over. Luckily, he got the one he has now.
    Zion is better than AD at age 22, and 94 games into their respective careers. Offensively it's not even close.

How quickly Mac has forgotten how disappointed he was in AD's defensive development in his year 2 and 3 seasons. I need to go back into the depths of In the No to find some quotes. Those were some seriously dark days man

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Zion is better than AD at age 22, and 94 games into their respective careers. Offensively it's not even close.
    See, I disagree. Is that allowed or am I a hater?

Anyone else disagree or is this consensus? Is the debate allowed?

Thread Information