Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: November 7th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Indiana Pacers - 5-4

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    that was some borderline out of control ball movement but it was fun and the result was good

Quote Originally Posted by WhenWereHealthy View Post
    Our defense is so poor and our 3-pt shooting volume is so low that it leaves us with a very small margin for error on a night-to-night basis. Tonight, we're turning it over and not grabbing any loose balls... Not looking good.
    Greens rotations don't help either. Man I thought Monty was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My bad for being an optimist earlier today and telling you all this is an above average team right now. I will own that.
    Again, my bad.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    where are you getting this from? The stats on NBA.com say different, its a pretty detailed breakdown including the range of all the shots as well as type of shot, including fadeaway, which is showing as 44.4%.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/162...Season=2022-23
    You're talking specifically fadeaway, I'm just taking his general long-midrange shooting (16ft-3pt line), which is listed on his basketball reference page.

Using the numbers on the page you're sharing:

15-19 feet: 38.5%
    16-24 feet: 38.5%
    The section generically called 'midrange', which isn't very clear: 40.0% (12/30)

My argument isn't that he should never take a midrange shot, or a fadeaway. Of course not. I don't think he's an elite midrange shooter up there with the very very best to ever do it, but he is better than most. My issue is that he prioritises those shots, sometimes, to the detriment of overall team offense. I want to see him shooting fewer of those shots early in the shotclock.
    Basketball.

Can't wait for the Myles Turner trade threads to appear soon.

I feel like this team just has zero consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I feel like this team just has zero consistency.
    Defense is almost below average, they dont take many 3's. Take a lot of mid range shots -- the least efficient shot in the sport. And they dont get to the line. Thats been the norm for a bit

I'd say they are pretty consistent. I feel like I know what to expect. Only variable is whether the opposition hits their 3's or not

Defense is almost below average, they dont take many 3's. Take a lot of mid range shots -- the least efficient shot in the sport. And they dont get to the line. Thats been the norm for a bit

I'd say they are pretty consistent. I feel like I know what to expect. Only variable is whether the opposition hits their 3's or not
    No, I don't mean inconsistent in general style, I mean minute to minute in the game. It's like, we're doing something and it will work and then we'll just randomly stop doing it despite the other team doing nothing that would force us to change, in order to do something that doesn't work, that we'll just keep doing for no reason.

It's like, does the team not look at the score? Is there nobody telling the coaching staff and the players what is and isn't working? Are they incapable of actually examining evidence? It's so irritating sometimes.

You're talking specifically fadeaway, I'm just taking his general long-midrange shooting (16ft-3pt line), which is listed on his basketball reference page.

Using the numbers on the page you're sharing:

15-19 feet: 38.5%
    16-24 feet: 38.5%
    The section generically called 'midrange', which isn't very clear: 40.0% (12/30)

My argument isn't that he should never take a midrange shot, or a fadeaway. Of course not. I don't think he's an elite midrange shooter up there with the very very best to ever do it, but he is better than most. My issue is that he prioritises those shots, sometimes, to the detriment of overall team offense. I want to see him shooting fewer of those shots early in the shotclock.
    Cool I agree BI is better than most in the midrange game, although I don't agree that his midrange is coming to the detriment of overall team offense. My impression of the worst shots he takes are not early in the shot clock, but those that happen late in the shot clock where he is essentially forced to throw up difficult contested shots because the offense didnt generate any easier looks for anyone and it fell on him to try to make something happen.

would you say that BI is "feasting" on the mid range in the 3rd quarter?

No, I don't mean inconsistent in general style, I mean minute to minute in the game. It's like, we're doing something and it will work and then we'll just randomly stop doing it despite the other team doing nothing that would force us to change, in order to do something that doesn't work, that we'll just keep doing for no reason.

It's like, does the team not look at the score? Is there nobody telling the coaching staff and the players what is and isn't working? Are they incapable of actually examining evidence? It's so irritating sometimes.
    Because taking 4 out of the 5 starters and replacing them with 4 bench players doesn't work.
    There is no reason why 2 of BI, CJ and Zion can't always be on the court together.

Giving up 38 points with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd is pathetic.

Yeah, thats what I meant earlier today when I said this team has no identity. They do a lot of things at a B level, which can be bad because it leads to a lack of identity because you try to do it all, instead of just continuing to establish your break and butter

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Because taking 4 out of the 5 starters and replacing them with 4 bench players doesn't work.
    There is no reason why 2 of BI, CJ and Zion can't always be on the court together.
    Not even that, it's just that we will (and I'm not specifically talking about this game here) refuse to ride the hot hand or force the issue.

If we have Zion on and he's on the ball, driving, and he scores 3 times in 4 shots, you'd think we'd just keep going until the other team adjusts. But we don't, we'll be like ''okay that's enough of that, Zion go off ball it's time for Graham to be on ball for a bit''.

Like, why? Why?! What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Giving up 38 points with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd is pathetic.
    wild

Oh ******** Zion was mad about getting his shot blocked and just used man strength to rip the ball away

Yikes, i hope larry will be fine..we can't lose him

man our perimeter defense sucks

Graham with his best Westbrook impersonation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Graham with his best Westbrook impersonation.
    yeah that was silly

Did CJ make the team plane?

I'm so ready for some DD

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    man our perimeter defense sucks
    THIS!!

Pelicans are +7 FGA, +3 FGM, and have 7 fewer turnovers and are down 9.

Pacers are 19-42 from deep and we are 11-25, and they've made 7 more free throws.

Is this not a major coaching issue? We have shooters, and we have a post player that should generate tons of open looks and free throws.

4th straight meh game from this team... the KD bat signal keeps closer to getting lit

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    4th straight meh game from this team... the KD bat signal keeps closer to getting lit
    Its ok they will come back and lose by 3 in OT.

Thread Information