Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: November 7th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Indiana Pacers - 5-4

Okay, peace treaty offered. I like you
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Also, can part of our “process” be pointing out where the team needs improvement (and then applaud them when they do) or are we only allowed to say glowingly positive things?

I swear, the bullying of objective thinkers on message boards is so old. If you don’t sunshine pump, you are the bad guy. Some of us like to track improvement and to improve, you can’t start at the top
    Oleh is the biggest sunshine pumper of them all

Can't even bring myself to read Birdwrites anymore

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Zion is not on the injury report
    Thanks...took a relook and he was no longer there. Sounds good.

Truce. Really though, the Pels should get this win tonight, but they have not earned the -5.5 that the line is currently set. Should be a hard fought match, and Indy plays hard. I would match Herb up with Hali for every single minute he is on the floor, but Hali runs more PnR than anyone. The Pels need to be disciplined in their defensive game plan, and bigs need to be ready to guard Pacer guards in 1v1 matchups.

All in all, I think this is going to be a get right game for the offense right before we start an extended home stand, where we may be able to rattle off a win streak

FO is putting pressure on Willie to play Dyson more already

Eyeballs emoji

Eyeballs emoji
    Have heard similarly lol but this is the FO fault imo. Should have consolidated in the summer if that is what they wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I would bring CJ off the bench for Jose in a heartbeat. Jose makes this team way better. Jose was a blessing for this team.
    Whether Jose makes the team way better or not...CJ is one of those guys you just need to start. For one reason, he is just a leader & leaders need to start. Plus, he adds several other factors (not related to on the court) that would make me start him. Only way I would NOT start CJ is if he came to me and said, "Let me come off the bench...I think I can help the team more...that way"

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Eyeballs emoji
    What’s understood don’t need to be explained. But Willie don’t understand so let Griff explain.

Truce. Really though, the Pels should get this win tonight, but they have not earned the -5.5 that the line is currently set. Should be a hard fought match, and Indy plays hard. I would match Herb up with Hali for every single minute he is on the floor, but Hali runs more PnR than anyone. The Pels need to be disciplined in their defensive game plan, and bigs need to be ready to guard Pacer guards in 1v1 matchups.

All in all, I think this is going to be a get right game for the offense right before we start an extended home stand, where we may be able to rattle off a win streak
    I like this matchup...just gotta guard or run them off... the 3-pt line. They always have a "punchers chance" with ALL the 3-pt shots they take (& make)...but I can't see them hurting us much from midrange in. As usual...one question is...where does Val fit in this kind of matchup? Seems I'm liking Nance more & more with each passing game.

Eyeballs emoji
    And did they mention glueing DG's arse to the pine?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    I like this matchup...just gotta guard or run them off... the 3-pt line. They always have a "punchers chance" with ALL the 3-pt shots they take (& make)...but I can't see them hurting us much from midrange in. As usual...one question is...where does Val fit in this kind of matchup? Seems I'm liking Nance more & more with each passing game.
    See is Nance really a C?
    I know that there aren't really any positions anymore, buy for the sake of the conversation, wouldn't Nance be better with another big who can sit back and protect the rim while Nance can do his thing?

Just think he is playing the 5 out of necessity.

Have heard similarly lol but this is the FO fault imo. Should have consolidated in the summer if that is what they wanted
    They TRIED but weren’t willing to give up a first to do it. And I don’t blame them. This ain’t the title year. Keep all your ammo for when that opportunity arises and your guys are ready for it

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    See is Nance really a C?
    I know that there aren't really any positions anymore, buy for the sake of the conversation, wouldn't Nance be better with another big who can sit back and protect the rim while Nance can do his thing?

Just think he is playing the 5 out of necessity.
    He is a closing 5, not a starting 5

The only thing is that those other 4 need to attack the defensive glass when they go to that unit. They were just watching the last few games and it was part of the reason we didnt close out. Need someone on that unit to channel their inner Josh Hart and be a dog on the glass

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    When JV is out of the game our rebounding suffers tremendously. If we are going to be giving Nance more minutes than JV, the rest of the team has to get more aggressive and intentional about boxing out and getting rebounds.

Rebounding is not a physical skill; it's a mental skill. It requires positioning, footwork, and most importantly, 'want to'. Not everybody is capable of shooting like Steph Curry or Trae or handle the ball like CP3 or Ja; but everybody 6'5'' and above is capable of rebounding. Ask Paul Silas, Charles Barkley and 'The Worm'.

Frankly, more than anything, this is what frustrates me about 'Him' (though his defense is awfully embarrassing).

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Rebounding is not a physical skill; it's a mental skill. It requires positioning, footwork, and most importantly, 'want to'. Not everybody is capable of shooting like Steph Curry or Trae or handle the ball like CP3 or Ja; but everybody 6'5'' and above is capable of rebounding. Ask Paul Silas, Charles Barkley and 'The Worm'.

Frankly, more than anything, this is what frustrates me about 'Him' (though his defense is awfully embarrassing).
    I mean, to be fair, your BI has the least want to of everyone on that unit. He acts allergic to the paint - go watch

They TRIED but weren’t willing to give up a first to do it. And I don’t blame them. This ain’t the title year. Keep all your ammo for when that opportunity arises and your guys are ready for it
    100% yes

Eyeballs emoji
    Good. He needs to get playing time to work on his game. His defense shows signs of potentially being special. I would like to see him get comfortable with the ball in his hand a bit when the time comes.

I mean, to be fair, your BI has the least want to of everyone on that unit. He acts allergic to the paint - go watch
    Oh, I agree. In fact, I wish he was more agressive on the other end in the paint, too!! We have one who lives there and another who is resistant to it.

But Mac, do I detect a little sarcasm in your post? "Your BI"?

Read your post again (above) and then google ?straw man?

Literally nobody is ?burning it down? and I don?t see any ?panic?

Someone said the team Isn?t great and is just ?above average? and this post was your response.
    Certainly wouldn't want anyone to resort to straw man arguments to make a point on this site! A few days ago I mentioned a missed call that cost us a game, and got a response about "conspiracy theories", then more about "enemies", CP3 & AD free throws 5 years ago, etc. Never did hear an opinion about whether that was a foul based on the way calls throughout that game were being made, and whether that no-call cost us the game. I was going to let that die, but can't stand the hypocrisy....

I did look at the "Last two minutes" report for that Hawks game. It states that it was a "Correct No Call" since only "marginal" arm contact occurred after the shot. The video they included was NOT the replay showing the arm bar down low during the shot and the interference with the landing spot, and none of those were addressed in the text. All they showed was a full-speed distant video from behind BI where you could not see the contact shown in the replay from the other angle. I guess they didn't have access to the replay, since they are just the NBA League Office. There were 4 "incorrect" calls or no-calls admitted in that report including O/T, and 3 of those 4 were incorrect in Atlanta's favor. Of course, my biased eyes saw a few that were not admitted as incorrect, such as the loose ball non-call where CJ got tackled and we lost the ball out of bounds.

Ineffective or corrupted justice systems should be corrected, and the league has taken a few very small steps (2-minute reports, coach's challenges, flopping penalties that used to be) because of fan complaints to correct their system. Maybe if more influential fans and bloggers raised their voices we could get even better: more challenges per game, retention of challenges that are successful, and ability to challenge non-calls under certain circumstances such as crunch time. It will never be perfect, but it could be a lot better.

Encouraging players to use more guile and deception to fool the referees goes against my ethics, so I guess I'll just continue to whine.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    Certainly wouldn't want anyone to resort to straw man arguments to make a point on this site! A few days ago I mentioned a missed call that cost us a game, and got a response about "conspiracy theories", then more about "enemies", CP3 & AD free throws 5 years ago, etc. Never did hear an opinion about whether that was a foul based on the way calls throughout that game were being made, and whether that no-call cost us the game. I was going to let that die, but can't stand the hypocrisy....

I did look at the "Last two minutes" report for that Hawks game. It states that it was a "Correct No Call" since only "marginal" arm contact occurred after the shot. The video they included was NOT the replay showing the arm bar down low during the shot and the interference with the landing spot, and none of those were addressed in the text. All they showed was a full-speed distant video from behind BI where you could not see the contact shown in the replay from the other angle. I guess they didn't have access to the replay, since they are just the NBA League Office. There were 4 "incorrect" calls or no-calls admitted in that report including O/T, and 3 of those 4 were incorrect in Atlanta's favor. Of course, my biased eyes saw a few that were not admitted as incorrect, such as the loose ball non-call where CJ got tackled and we lost the ball out of bounds.

Ineffective or corrupted justice systems should be corrected, and the league has taken a few very small steps (2-minute reports, coach's challenges, flopping penalties that used to be) because of fan complaints to correct their system. Maybe if more influential fans and bloggers raised their voices we could get even better: more challenges per game, retention of challenges that are successful, and ability to challenge non-calls under certain circumstances such as crunch time. It will never be perfect, but it could be a lot better.

Encouraging players to use more guile and deception to fool the referees goes against my ethics, so I guess I'll just continue to whine.
    And thats your choice. Some people hold out hope the world will one day be fair. It NEVER will be. Learn the rules, use them to your advantage. Or whine. We all have a choice to make

Oh, I agree. In fact, I wish he was more agressive on the other end in the paint, too!! We have one who lives there and another who is resistant to it.

But Mac, do I detect a little sarcasm in your post? "Your BI"?
    No, but you do give Dae a lot of flack for being wrong about him. That said, there are still places to criticize BI. There is a difference between 'top 25 player' and 'top 10 player' and there are certain things that make me afraid BI will never be the latter

No, but you do give Dae a lot of flack for being wrong about him. That said, there are still places to criticize BI. There is a difference between 'top 25 player' and 'top 10 player' and there are certain things that make me afraid BI will never be the latter
    I have no problem with that. A top 25 player isn't Kyle Kuzma.

I have no problem with that. A top 25 player isn't Kyle Kuzma.
    Agree - but to really be a contender, the Pels will need one top 10 dude, and we know Zion wont become that, so its up to BI or whoever we get with the Lakers pick

Agree - but to really be a contender, the Pels will need one top 10 dude, and we know Zion wont become that, so its up to BI or whoever we get with the Lakers pick
    thats bait

Thread Information