Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re-calibrated Zion Ceiling

Re-calibrated Zion Ceiling

Coming out of Duke, I had his ceiling as a multiple time MVP. Now, I know he has had injuries and hasn't even played 100 games yet, blah, blah, blah, but we can still have an opinion despite not KNOWING the future.

My ceiling now is prime LaMarcus Aldridge - in terms of impact, not play style. Basically, an elite #2 who wouldnt have a ton of success as a #1, who scores a lot of points and can drop the occassional 40 or 50 piece, while being a small liability on D.

Thats my ceiling for him now, what y'all got?
    @mcnamara247

My comps are Adrian Dantley, Mark Aguirre, or a poor man's Sir Charles (he'll never be a big rebounder like Barkley was). While, in reality, this is a compliment. as two of my three comps are in Springfield. But there's no way...no how he'll ever live up to his pre-draft hype which is totally unfair to him. He'll be lucky to get out of New Orleans as one of the top five professional players ever to play in the Crescent City.

Yikes.

It might be time for another re-calibration.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Lol

Season Ticket Holder
    Woof.

If I made such a ridiculous claim, I'd disappear as well. Especially since this "re-calibration" occurred a mere 36 days ago. Double woof.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Woof.

If I made such a ridiculous claim, I'd disappear as well. Especially since this "re-calibration" occurred a mere 36 days ago. Double woof.
    It is called being a realist did you not know? Also being a hardcore Naji hater, claiming this team won’t win 50 games, we are not contenders, etc. Just realist things.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Yeah, this aged real well! The Aldridge comp was so bad that I couldn't muster a response at the time.

Obviously, you all just don't understand basketball.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I try

While I have some respect for Mac's B ball knowledge I lose some for the I'm absolutely I'm right predictions and comments. And when his predictions and comments turn out to be wrong it's rarely admitted. he was the leader of the heck with the playoffs I want a higher-pick gang last yr and it's quite obvious that last yrs lil playoff run helped immensely. He even wrote a thread on how he thought playoff experience even losing in the first round was not helpful. And this Zion ceiling thing? I think he should come back just to admit he was wrong.

Lamarcus Aldridge lol that’s his ceiling

Zion look like a big version of Jordan many will deny it but look at his finesse around the rim I feel like kids will watch him like we Jordan and Allen iverson he has an iconic game

I’m gonna say he has the potential to be a pre-injury D. Rose impact-wise. Kinda reminds me of a mixture of D.Rose, Shawn Kemp, and Barkley.

People don’t realize that this team still hasn’t figured it out yet, Zion hasn’t even been in many situations with the ball in his hands at the end of games enough to really understand his potential. We won’t fully know what he’s capable of until after this season is over with, it just happens that we’re #1 while working out the kinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    I’m gonna say he has the potential to be a pre-injury D. Rose impact-wise. Kinda reminds me of a mixture of D.Rose, Shawn Kemp, and Barkley.

People don’t realize that this team still hasn’t figured it out yet, Zion hasn’t even been in many situations with the ball in his hands at the end of games enough to really understand his potential. We won’t fully know what he’s capable of until after this season is over with, it just happens that we’re #1 while working out the kinks.
    That's the biggest understatement ever. Rose was, pre-injury, excellent, but he never had this kind of impact.

Proof? Rose's MVP year he was worse than Zion this year in: Rpg, Stls, Blks, WS/48, PER, TS% (65% for Zion to 55% for Rose lmao), with worse defense and basically identical BPM. And Rose was requiring a 32% usage rate to do that, whereas Zion's sitting at about 28%, not even the highest on this team. Zion's got a double digit on/off, Rose's that year was +3.

Obviously that Bulls team won a ton of games and had a lot of regular season success but there's a reason that Rose is widely considered one of the worst MVP picks ever whereas Zion is currently presenting a very legitimate MVP case (though he's not the favourite right now, imo).

Athletically, I can see what you mean, as they're both hyper-athletic rim-attack based scorers, but in terms of the actual impact? Zion's already very arguably better.
    Basketball.

Mac really wishes he was still the only reporter on the beat like that The Ringer article. Instead, he has lost the plot completely.

Season Ticket Holder
    This thread should be solely used for clowning the OP.

Any actual discussion of Zion's ceiling, calibrated, re-calibrated, or otherwise should be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Mac really wishes he was still the only reporter on the beat like that The Ringer article. Instead, he has lost the plot completely.
    I don't believe that at all. I think he's thrilled that there are a lot of great writers/reporters around the team now, and has said as much in the past.

I just believe he's been around so long that he's gotten really jaded when it comes to the team. Plus, I think he's big into philosophy, which leads him to viewing fanhood more in terms of a social experiment than something to participate in personally. He enjoys seeing himself as an outside observer of "fans" and I think really enjoys being contrarian. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think it's any kind of envy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I don't believe that at all. I think he's thrilled that there are a lot of great writers/reporters around the team now, and has said as much in the past.

I just believe he's been around so long that he's gotten really jaded when it comes to the team. Plus, I think he's big into philosophy, which leads him to viewing fanhood more in terms of a social experiment than something to participate in personally. He enjoys seeing himself as an outside observer of "fans" and I think really enjoys being contrarian. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think it's any kind of envy.
    I know whats going on with that guy. His philosophy is that low expectations protect you against the risk of being disappointed by reality if/when things don't work out as ideally imagined. Fans are setting themselves up for disappointment by allowing themselves to believe good things about the team. So in this example, his logic is that by lowering expectations for Zion he will be less bummed if Zion doesn't go on to dominate the league and lead us to championships.

There are big problems with this approach however. First and foremost is that dude needs to be right more than anything else, so when Zion (or any player, or the team in general) outperforms these lowered expectations, he can't truly enjoy it because it means he was wrong and that he looks foolish now. Secondly, expecting a negative outcome is the definition of pessimism and it is a cognitive bias. Having a perception bias clashes with his self image, the way he views himself as the ultimate "realist" with unclouded judgement, its the quality that makes his opinions superior to all the other fans. Its a delicate psychological house of cards that is about to get knocked over when the Pelicans go on to win the championship

I am not sure why people have to take Mac's opinion above anyone else and bash the guy if he is wrong?
    Sure he has more knowledge about basketball than most, but why can't ppl just either take what he says with a grain of salt?

I happen to value his opinion/s and rather enjoy our conversations on Twitter.
    He at least is engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I am not sure why people have to take Mac's opinion above anyone else and bash the guy if he is wrong?
    Sure he has more knowledge about basketball than most, but why can't ppl just either take what he says with a grain of salt?

I happen to value his opinion/s and rather enjoy our conversations on Twitter.
    He at least is engaging.
    its because he is much more smug about it than anyone else, and also because he has groupies such as yourself. Dude convinced yall to be rooting against the Pelicans making the playoffs and it was annoying to have that vibe in a pelicans fan group.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    its because he is much more smug about it than anyone else, and also because he has groupies such as yourself. Dude convinced yall to be rooting against the Pelicans making the playoffs and it was annoying to have that vibe in a pelicans fan group.
    FO.

Why because I can see that he has more basketball knowledge that 90% on here?

When did he root against the Pels NOT making the palyoffs?
    That was like 2-3 years ago, which was correct, because they wouldn't have Herb, Trey and now DD without being a lottery team.

I leave you all alone, so you can have your boring little fan club and you just can't help but discuss me.

You say I want attention and to get praise, etc. Couldnt be further from the truth. I leave and want nothing more than for you all to just have each other and leave me out of it and here you all are, discussing me, unprompted.

You swear I am the problem. But even when I go away, you can't help yourselves. How about you just let me go away and not discuss me. I promise I won't bother you all again if you can just hold up your very simple end of the bargain. Think you can do it??

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    I think he should come back just to admit he was wrong.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    FO.

Why because I can see that he has more basketball knowledge that 90% on here?

When did he root against the Pels NOT making the palyoffs?
    That was like 2-3 years ago, which was correct, because they wouldn't have Herb, Trey and now DD without being a lottery team.
    last season when we fighting for the play in spot

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    last season when we fighting for the play in spot
    Bro, I asked a question and had my opinion on what I would prefer. But said it was close and could see either side.

You guys act like there should only be one opinion. Look at the threads created with and without me. When I am not here, there are Gameday threads and nothing else. And even most of those are dead.

I have some hot take threads (like this one), threads about top prospects, threads about 'Which would you rather', threads about the Lakers and that pick, threads about rotations, and so on and so forth. I create conversation. Without me, its a few of people talking about the game in the moment. Then, deadness. Nothing deeper. No contrarian hot takes to spark debate. Nothing. Look at the threads since I left. Snoozefest.

So, you guys can have your boring board. I am having way more fun on Twitter. And I will never discuss one of you, or your takes, elsewhere. Because, honestly, I dont know or remember any of your takes. Because none of you stand out, or are memorable.

Can't say the same about me

Thread Information