Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: November 6th - Cleveland Cavaliers at Los Angeles Lakers

Said it earlier today - Lively is a near perfect fit.

Other guys will have more upside but he is a great fit. I argue that you should always go BPA, but he might make me break my own rule
    @mcnamara247

And BTW, I would still trade the Lakers picks for KD. Need a true #1 on this squad

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Said it earlier today - Lively is a near perfect fit.

Other guys will have more upside but he is a great fit. I argue that you should always go BPA, but he might make me break my own rule
    If he protects the rim. I'm sold....
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 11-06-2022 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If he protects the rim. I'm sold....
    Protects the rim and good perimeter defender. I think he is 85-90 percent of Mobley, with more room for bulk IMO. Watch this -- look at the form on the jumper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ1Wir2A6dI

And another guy I really like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3_EroUd4VA

Could be the exact guard you want running P&R with Zion or Zion as the handler and this dude popping out

And another guy I really like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3_EroUd4VA

Could be the exact guard you want running P&R with Zion or Zion as the handler and this dude popping out
    I am so confused!!

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I am so confused!!
    Zion aint a bum - and he's gonna be here, so why not have guys around him that maximize him and vice versa?

Protects the rim and good perimeter defender. I think he is 85-90 percent of Mobley, with more room for bulk IMO. Watch this -- look at the form on the jumper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ1Wir2A6dI
    Thanks.
    Yeah anyone who has doubts about giving up on Jaxson, needs to see what this gay has already.

Zion aint a bum - and he's gonna be here, so why not have guys around him that maximize him and vice versa?
    I agree with concentrating on the building the backcourt (absent a REAL generational talent to choose from); I truly do. Currently, the Pelicans are asking a 31 YO, 10 year veteran to redefine his game to 'run' the Pelican Offense. To me it:

1. Isn't fair to CJ who has mainly played off ball for the first eight years of his career.
    2. Detracts from what he does best (score the ball) by asking him to do things he has never done on a full time basis.
    3. Is short-sighted. Afterall, he is 31 years old.
    4. But most importantly, is counter-productive if we are building a team that will sustain success for the remainder of the decade and beyond.

Now, I know an argument might be that he wants this role. My reply is simple....sometimes you have to protect players from themselves. CJ is no Chris Paul and no Kyle Lowry. Hell, I'll argue he is no Ricky Rubio or Mike Conley either...at least not as a 'lead guard'.

I haven't even spoken about how short he and all the team's lead guards are, and how they can be abused defensively and usually are.

But everytime I speak to the my belief that the glaring weakness on this team is the guard play, I'm shot down and told the we need a 'rim runner'.

I've said it before...AD and Holiday were nice pieces individually, but it only worked for one season...the season when Rajon Rondo 'painted the picture'. CJ is no Monet'.

Right now: Let's take our lumps early, bench Herb, and play DD. This team will go nowhere the way it is currently situated and wasting our assets by playing them the way we are.

(PS: There are so many holes in # 1's game that the last thing we should consider is 'Point Zion'!!! SMH)
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-06-2022 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I agree with concentrating on the building the backcourt (absent a REAL generational talent to choose from); I truly do. Currently, the Pelicans are asking a 31 YO, 10 year veteran to redefine his game to 'run' the Pelican Offense. To me it:

1. Isn't fair to CJ who has mainly played off ball for the first eight years of his career.
    2. Detracts from what he does best (score the ball) by asking him to do things he has never done on a full time basis.
    3. Is short-sighted. Afterall, he is 31 years old.
    4. But most importantly, is counter-productive if we are building a team that will sustain success for the remainder of the decade and beyond.

Now, I know an argument might be that he wants this role. My reply is simple....sometimes you have to protect players from themselves. CJ is no Chris Paul and no Kyle Lowry. Hell, I'll argue he is no Ricky Rubio or Mike Conley either...at least not as a 'lead guard'.

I haven't even spoken about how short he and all the team's lead guards are, and how they can be abused defensively and usually are.

But everytime I speak to the my belief that the glaring weakness on this team is the guard play, I'm shot down and told the we need a 'rim runner'.

I've said it before...AD and Holiday were nice pieces individually, but it only worked for one season...the season when Rajon Rondo 'painted the picture'. CJ is no Monet'.

Right now: Let's take our lumps early, bench Herb, and play DD. This team will go nowhere the way it is currently situated and wasting our assets by playing them the way we are.

(PS: There are so many holes in # 1's game that the last thing we should consider is 'Point Zion'!!! SMH)
    I see a world...where...by playoff time next season...the Pels are in position to win it all...with a closing backcourt of Herb and Dyson, both shooting 36% or better from 3 and together...forming the greatest defensive backcourt in the history of the NBA.
    Last edited by The Dud; 11-06-2022 at 09:57 PM.

Thread Information