Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: November 5th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Atlanta Hawks - 5-3

Talk to fans of other teams and I bet they disagree. Bet my life that Bucks fans will tell you Giannis should get 10 more FTs a game. For years, Lebron fans have said he gets more no calls than anyone. Sixers fans will say it about Embiid too

All fans are the same. You all think your guys get shafted and all other teams get the benefit of the whistle. You think the national media hates you and loves everyone else.

It’s called bias.
    @mcnamara247

Pels seem like a very odd team to me. Actually fairly solid but with an amazing number of "works in progress" on the floor at any one time. I consider regular season to pretty much be a huge glorified practice session except for maybe the final 6 minutes or so of each game. I view each game as a chance to experiment with a group of players and Willie probably doesn't really have a good idea of how they will eventually develope individually. Which ones can/will develope into decent defenders...which ones can adapt & add to their offensive game in a way that makes the other players better. CJ seems like the only one I can pretty much slot into a spot of..."THIS is what he is, good & bad & not gonna get better or worse" at least for another year or so. Just about all the others (forget the soon to be gone ones) are totally up in the air. They will either develope into very solid players or probably NEVER improve from where they are at the moment.

I agree on major upside on Daniels (get the guy on the court !) We probably disagree on Herb's offensive potential which is totally understandable since we kinda start from different perspectives on this VERY odd character. I have my doubts that BI & Zion can ever be an efficient combo on the court at the same time. Trey is a totally unpredictable wildcard...could be a VERY solid all-around player...could end up being MUCH less. To me...those 5 will determine just how good the Pels will be in the near future. (Plus the Winnebago guy, of course...G )...and btw, keep Val off the court at crunch time

Refs are flawed - they fall for the same stuff. And the smart players (like CP3) study that stuff and use it to their advantage. If you value pride over FTs and you don’t want to use tricks to get to the line, that’s your fault IMO. Refs ain’t gonna change

Chris Paul highest FTAs a game? In New Orleans. Before he was a “star”

AD - same thing

It feels good to make up BS narratives and blame losses on someone else. The mythical enemies who hate NOLA or who think our guys aren’t stars and don’t give them calls. Unfortunately, facts exist

Nor are Lakers

We need an LA v Cavs game thread

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Refs are flawed - they fall for the same stuff. And the smart players (like CP3) study that stuff and use it to their advantage. If you value pride over FTs and you don’t want to use tricks to get to the line, that’s your fault IMO. Refs ain’t gonna change
    Only thing I might add to that is...I've found the histrionics CAN be overdone to the point refs might not give you the benefit of the doubt, on offense or defense. CP3 is, of course, the master of knowing how far to push it...and MOST importantly, WHEN to push it. For the most part, he doesn't use his really good stuff...until crunch time. I doubt someone with a style like Jose...will hold up long term. It's a fairly thin line to walk for an NBA player...and seems to be getting thinner...thankfully.

Yeah, eventually they don’t keep falling for it. Late in the 4th Trae fell and Refs didn’t give him the call. We had a 5 on 4 and Herb could have hit a dagger 3 but missed. Guess Fred and him haven’t worked on that shot yet

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Nor are Lakers

We need an LA v Cavs game thread
    Agree - that game is way more important

And I am not trying to be a pessimist?my whole point is that they ain?t ready this year for the big stage. But that?s why you gotta give Trey and Dyson max minutes and opportunities. Those two plus the Lakers pick (s) are our chance to be the 2004 Pistons. Don?t have a top 5 player in the league but have an insane 5 and a good bench. Naji and Graham should sit at the end of the bench until injuries pop up. Max minutes for the guys who will be here in 2024-2030
    MAC, I'm with you on this. If it were me, Herb would not be running with the one's; DD would be. As you so astutely point out, it's not how you are playing in November that matters; it's how you are ending in April. I'd take my lumps now with the rookie for the sake of the season in it's entirety. Also, by doing this it will limit CJ to doing what he has done his entire career....shoot, and not force him into orchestrating AND shooting.

NOTE: I still don't see Naji as the negative you and some others do. But, I'd admit that moving Herb to the bench would, of and by itself, rectify that concern you have about his playing time.
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-06-2022 at 12:06 PM.

I don’t see Naji as a negative. I value tomorrow more than today and Dyson getting minutes will be more valuable tomorrow than Naji. That is the only issue with Naji. When injuries come again and he fills in, he will help. But when this team is fully healthy, Dyson should get the minutes above Graham, Naji, and Hayes because none of them will be here when the team is REALLY a contender

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    As you so astutely point out, it's not how you are playing in November that matters; it's how you are ending in April
    Which is a macrocosm for any meaningful NBA game

Or is it microcosm. I have difficulty knowing when to use both

I feel like macrocosm is correct in this case
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-06-2022 at 12:36 PM.

I don’t see Naji as a negative. I value tomorrow more than today and Dyson getting minutes will be more valuable tomorrow than Naji. That is the only issue with Naji. When injuries come again and he fills in, he will help. But when this team is fully healthy, Dyson should get the minutes above Graham, Naji, and Hayes because none of them will be here when the team is REALLY a contender
    Does Willie feel like his job isn't really safe, that's why he leans on the bench mob vets (minus Hayes)? There's really not another explanation.

Because I feel like Willie has 'earned' a pretty big leash so far and no real need to keep going back to the tired old well
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-06-2022 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Does Willie feel like his job isn't really safe, that's why he leans on the bench mob vets (minus Hayes)? There's really not another explanation.

Because I feel like Willie has 'earned' a pretty big leash so far and no real need to keep going back to the tired old well
    Literally every coach does it. If two players are fairly close, every coach goes with the steady vet over the high variance rookie. He did it last year too, when of course he had job security. Coaches are short term thinkers by nature. Its the FO's job to give them no choice

Literally every coach does it. If two players are fairly close, every coach goes with the steady vet over the high variance rookie. He did it last year too, when of course he had job security. Coaches are short term thinkers by nature. Its the FO's job to give them no choice
    Is this to suggest that, in the end, it's the front office that decides who plays and who sits? This is very enlightening, though I know Gentry's hands were tied with regard to AD and 'Him'. (Yes, I know it was two different Front Offices)

The Pels plan for the season was to let Willie do what he wanted, but then to come to him when the data set is big enough to determine rotations together.

Graham is too dimensional to be steal minutes from Jose or Dyson.

We can't keep give out this many minutes to three undersized guards that need burns to get going.

Graham having a great 3P season and that's it. Jose is demolishing him across the board in efficiency. Graham is having the same issue he had in the playoffs. He's redundant. He's not better than Jose. You had an undersize guard problem. You draft Dyson. Yet you still give minutes out to Naji and Graham that provide some lucky shoots and early season energy at most.

The thing about having a deep team isn't that you're supposed to run 11 man rotations with weird minutes. You are deep to sustain injury. Get your best 8 guys + Dyson and give them minutes.

If the rotation starts with...

CJ
    Herb
    Ingram
    Zion
    Jonas

Then it should end with

Jose
    Lance
    Trey
    Dyson

I understand doing that would hit the team's morale big time for those bench guys. You got to win games with your core unit. I know there also another component with trying to juice up trade value for Graham.

It's a sunk cost Fallacy. He's exactly as he always has been... A one dimensional 37 FG% shooter.

I got an idea.....Lets let Fred Vinson determine the rotations!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Graham is too dimensional to be steal minutes from Jose or Dyson.

We can't keep give out this many minutes to three undersized guards that need burns to get going.

Graham having a great 3P season and that's it. Jose is demolishing him across the board in efficiency. Graham is having the same issue he had in the playoffs. He's redundant. He's not better than Jose. You had an undersize guard problem. You draft Dyson. Yet you still give minutes out to Naji and Graham that provide some lucky shoots and early season energy at most.

The thing about having a deep team isn't that you're supposed to run 11 man rotations with weird minutes. You are deep to sustain injury. Get your best 8 guys + Dyson and give them minutes.

If the rotation starts with...

CJ
    Herb
    Ingram
    Zion
    Jonas

Then it should end with

Jose
    Lance
    Trey
    Dyson

I understand doing that would hit the team's morale big time for those bench guys. You got to win games with your core unit. I know there also another component with trying to juice up trade value for Graham.

It's a sunk cost Fallacy. He's exactly as he always has been... A one dimensional 37 FG% shooter.
    Good things always seem to happen with Jose on the floor... he brings an infectious energy and intensity, and his shot seems to be getting better and better. Would love to see Jose getting at least 24 minutes a game. All i can figure is its early in the season so Green is still trying different looks and getting people involved.

Chris Paul highest FTAs a game? In New Orleans. Before he was a “star”

AD - same thing

It feels good to make up BS narratives and blame losses on someone else. The mythical enemies who hate NOLA or who think our guys aren’t stars and don’t give them calls. Unfortunately, facts exist
    Paul and AD were certainly seen as stars by then. CP also played about 38 minutes a game back then. CP3 was in the all-star game the year before and had the best season of his career that next year. He was seen as one of the rising stars of the NBA. AD had been to a couple of all star games as well and that may have been the year he broke the All-Star game scoring record. He was also in the midst of the best seasons of his career. There is no doubt that the stars get the benefit of the doubt by the refs and it has been that way for years.

Oh yeah... then why did Lebron say this today?

https://twitter.com/LakersDailyCom/s...04123069566976

He not a star? Everybody thinks they are shafted by the refs. And then they create whatever narrative supports that argument. For you, its that only stars get calls and refs dont view our guys as stars, for many on Twitter, the refs hate NOLA. For Lakers fans, the league is jealous of the Lakers and trying to hold them down, for some fan bases, its because their stars are not American.

I have seen it all. All 30 fan bases think the refs have something against them. All 30 fan bases think the media has something against them. How can all 30 be right??

The Pels plan for the season was to let Willie do what he wanted, but then to come to him when the data set is big enough to determine rotations together.
    I've heard rumors that that you have been offered a deal you couldn't refuse to bring back your podcast. First off congrats, and second off when can we expect your podcast to be brought back from the dead?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Thread Information