Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would You....

Would You....

Nets come to you and are just gonna blow it all up and try to build again with good human beings. Will give you KD for Jonas, Trey, Herb, Graham, Temple, Kira, the 2023 pick (w/Lakers swap rights), and the 2024/25 Lakers pick

No negotiation. Take it or leave it and they move onto the next team on their list. What do you say?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Nets come to you and are just gonna blow it all up and try to build again with good human beings. Will give you KD for Jonas, Trey, Herb, Graham, Temple, Kira, the 2023 pick (w/Lakers swap rights), and the 2024/25 Lakers pick

No negotiation. Take it or leave it and they move onto the next team on their list. What do you say?
    11/10 times no.

I just don't think KD is the piece to win it all, if you gut the team and their future.

GUT the team and future? You still have one of the best young cores in basketball even after the trade. Plus all your own picks after 2023, the Bucks pick and swaps. BI, Zion, Daniels, Jose all young plus picks to come. How many teams even have that young talent, and then you throw CJ and KD on top as the vets. The team is not gutted, nor is their future lost. 27 teams would kill just to have BI, Zion, Daniels and Jose as their "future"

GUT the team and future? You still have one of the best young cores in basketball even after the trade. Plus all your own picks after 2023, the Bucks pick and swaps. BI, Zion, Daniels, Jose all young plus picks to come. How many teams even have that young talent, and then you throw CJ and KD on top as the vets. The team is not gutted, nor is their future lost. 27 teams would kill just to have BI, Zion, Daniels and Jose as their "future"
    I just consider Herb, Trey and this years pick as an important part of the future and not one I would give up for KD.
    For Giannis then yes.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Heh. Everyone wants to keep all their things once they realize they have it good. Now the prospect of getting KD is a total possibility and suddenly we're too good for him? I'd hate to lose JV, Trey, and that Lakers swap but so be it. I think I'd do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Heh. Everyone wants to keep all their things once they realize they have it good. Now the prospect of getting KD is a total possibility and suddenly we're too good for him? I'd hate to lose JV, Trey, and that Lakers swap but so be it. I think I'd do it.
    The window is 3 years. KD is 34, will he play past 37 and still be as good as he is today?
    All that for a 3 year gamble isn't one I would take.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    The window is 3 years. KD is 34, will he play past 37 and still be as good as he is today?
    All that for a 3 year gamble isn't one I would take.
    And then, in 3 years, when Zion and BI were in their primes and now had TONS of big game experience. And Dyson entering his early prime.... they would be a bad team?

And then, in 3 years, when Zion and BI were in their primes and now had TONS of big game experience. And Dyson entering his early prime.... they would be a bad team?
    No, where did I say bad team?
    I said I wouldn't gamble at the expense of Trey, Herb and the 2023 pick for a declining KD.

This team now is a good team, take out Jax, Graham and Temple from this team and add better players and this team is top 3 for the next few years in the West.
    Then make that final trade with the war chest assets for a real star and not one that is towards the end of his prime in KD and win it all.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 11-03-2022 at 09:34 PM.

You are assuming that dude is just gonna be there at that magical time when our window is absolutely perfect. And even if he is, these windows dont stay open for as long as you think they can. Sure, unload the war chest for Jokic and maybe you get him. I promise, something will happen to close that window way sooner than you think. This idea that this team will/can be at the contender level for a decade is a pipe dream.

I could see not doing it, but saying (which you have) that gutting the team and the future and saying they would only have the 3 year window is a little hyperbolic IMO

Yes, I would. I was leaning towards being in favor of getting KD when the discussions were BI or Zion for him. Now this hypothetical is giving me the chance to have all of them? I'd think about it first but yeah.

I would hate to lose Murphy and this Lakers pick, but I would do it. How often in your lifetime would you get to root for a team with THAT much talent? I have faith that they can find quality 8-12th men to come and play here and fill roles between min signings, 2nd round picks, and even UDFAs

So what’s the best argument for declining that option? I would say that it would feel kinda lame losing herb and Trey. They embody the spirit of the team. Also, atm that 2023 pick could turn out to be wemby

I don’t think KD’s ego could accept being in New Orleans with Brandon Ingram as the leader. I also don’t think KD is a leader and if he tried to take that role, the results would be disappointing (see Nets). Last thing, Durant has played about as many games as Zion the last 3 seasons, so having depth on this team is paramount considering stars rarely play full seasons anymore.

I want to say yes to the deal because of the potential, but I don’t think KD would buy in. And without that, it’s a hard no.

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    So what’s the best argument for declining that option? I would say that it would feel kinda lame losing herb and Trey. They embody the spirit of the team. Also, atm that 2023 pick could turn out to be wemby
    I would say the best argument would be that you be amplifying a strength without improving your weakness. If KD doesnt want to play D like 2018 KD any more, then you could get outgunned, even if fully healthy in later rounds of the playoffs. You could also argue that adding another high usage guy, Zion might not develop other parts of his offensive game. You could also argue, as some have on here, that Herb has Kawhi like potential and Trey can be a 7 foot Klay.

I wouldnt agree with those arguments, but you could make them and not be insane

You are assuming that dude is just gonna be there at that magical time when our window is absolutely perfect. And even if he is, these windows dont stay open for as long as you think they can. Sure, unload the war chest for Jokic and maybe you get him. I promise, something will happen to close that window way sooner than you think. This idea that this team will/can be at the contender level for a decade is a pipe dream.

I could see not doing it, but saying (which you have) that gutting the team and the future and saying they would only have the 3 year window is a little hyperbolic IMO
    If the window with KD is only 3 years, you don't think the window with all the assets they have now and the potential to get a Jokic or Embiid later down the track equals more than 3 years of a window?

One of my favorite What ifs of the NBA in the last few decades was Orlando's attempt to pair a young Tracy McGrady with a prime Grant Hill... in theory it was a great plan-- to have two super versatile swing players start together-- but because of Hill's slew of injury issues that hit immediately after their signings, the two never had a chance to show what might have been. I can see the same type of expectations for a Durant/Ingram pairing, except that Durant is possibly on the verge of leaving his prime rather than being in the middle of it. It's really tempting, but it looks to me like Durant's defense is already on the decline. His last three years of DRtg have been the three highest of his career, which of course is somewhat context related, but I think in looking at all of his numbers, there's a case to be made that he's no longer the guy he was in his first year with the Warriors, where he was just a crazy good defender. I absolutely get the argument for (especially the window angle), but I'd rather see the Pels go forward with Herb, Trey, & JV...but, man, it's a close call. I might wake up tomorrow and change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If the window with KD is only 3 years, you don't think the window with all the assets they have now and the potential to get a Jokic or Embiid later down the track equals more than 3 years of a window?
    No. Because 1, I think that is like a 5% chance in the first place, where KD is 100% in this scenario. And 2, that would be a few years from now and in the NBA, something always happens. Always. The OKC window looked to be open for a decade. Lebron was gonna win not 5, not 6, not 7… Something always happens. A 3 or 4 year window with that level of talent (CJ, KD, Zion, and BI) is more than any GM could ever dream of hoping for

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Culture is something we have struggled to build the entire time this team has been in New Orleans and only finally succeeded. You dont mess with that. We have had top tier stars before that were not happy to be here and it was like a loveless marriage. Plus this trade would make us way too thin at center without Jonas, and KD and BI basically give you the same thing, except KD is rapidly aging and misses a lot of games. No thank you.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Culture is something we have struggled to build the entire time this team has been in New Orleans and only finally succeeded. You dont mess with that. We have had top tier stars before that were not happy to be here and it was like a loveless marriage. Plus this trade would make us way too thin at center without Jonas, and KD and BI basically give you the same thing, except KD is rapidly aging and misses a lot of games. No thank you.
    By that logic don’t draft or sign anyone. Wouldn’t wanna mess with our culture. Oh. We arbitrarily don’t care about free agents or draft picks messing with culture because reasons. Why would Durant mess with our culture anyway? Because he left the Thunder to win two championships? Or is it just losing the quiet strength of Herb and Trey? As for injuries, I mean BI does that too.

Speaking of I’m not concerned about BI or Durant bumping. Durant is a much better 3pt shooter. He doesn’t have to occupy the same spaces on the floor. And being long and versatile offensively is no step backwards.

Season Ticket Holder

I don't like you for making my brain engage in this thought experiment. BOOOOOO! hahaha

Personally, I think this would be the best time in his career to bring in BI, and probably the only time he would be happy to come to NOLA (outside of as a 19yr old rookie)

He must be miserable right now, had tons of great things to say about our roster, and likes Willie and Collins apparently. He wouldn’t have to have everything on his shoulders and would be happy letting BI be the face while he just “hoops”

People would hate losing the young dudes at first, and I get that. But by February, when this team is smoking everyone and Trey and Herb are just guys on a 10th seed Brooklyn team, nobody would be complaining

I'm tempted by this proposition, mostly because at some point we're going to have too many players to pay everyone their value, so a tough call will need to be made at some point. Those Laker picks going out make me a bit nervous, but there's also the possibility those picks are at their absolute highest value right now, and will only go down. I think I might pull the trigger, but I worry a little bit about where that leaves us at center.

If im the nets and are blowing things up, I'd rather go after dyson than a guy like herb who is already 24yrs old.. would be nice to get Claxton as well since nance would be our only decent big.

For the original offer, i think that's a good deal...we would instantly be a top contender when healthy. Our defense will still be bad and our rebounding will get hurt as well.. offensively
    , good luck stopping them.

Wow talk about a blow up. Would KD want to play here?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    By that logic don?t draft or sign anyone. Wouldn?t wanna mess with our culture. Oh. We arbitrarily don?t care about free agents or draft picks messing with culture because reasons. Why would Durant mess with our culture anyway? Because he left the Thunder to win two championships? Or is it just losing the quiet strength of Herb and Trey? As for injuries, I mean BI does that too.

Speaking of I?m not concerned about BI or Durant bumping. Durant is a much better 3pt shooter. He doesn?t have to occupy the same spaces on the floor. And being long and versatile offensively is no step backwards.
    How did you make that leap? Adding a free agent or draft pick is not messing with the culture. Trading away multiple starters and key bench players for a mercurial hard to please star is messing with the culture. Those two scenarios are not even close to the same thing.

Durant wielded power over every move to create his team and then gave the front office an ultimatum to fire his head coach and GM or trade him. That is the kind of thing that messes with team culture. Furthermore, if you compare the last 3 season of KD and BI you will see a big difference in games played. but pretending that BI was as unavailable as KD, you are saying that means it would be a good idea to give up major assets to pair them because. wait why?
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 11-04-2022 at 12:09 PM.

Thread Information