Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: November 2nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ LA Lakers - 4-2

You guys are arguing about the wrong thing. The smart thing to do after Dyson missed the first FT would have been to call timeout

Have Fred talk to Dyson and then got the other four together and said to aggressively go after the offensive board and if there was a miss, foul the rebounder. Now, they are going to the line and shooting TWO with 1 second left
    @mcnamara247

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You guys are arguing about the wrong thing. The smart thing to do after Dyson missed the first FT would have been to call timeout

Have Fred talk to Dyson and then got the other four together and said to aggressively go after the offensive board and if there was a miss, foul the rebounder. Now, they are going to the line and shooting TWO with 1 second left
    Lebron grabbed the rebound and immediately called timeout. It was closer than bang/bang. He had perfect eye contact with the ref. Go watch it again. They wouldn't have called a foul there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I?m baffled that ppl think in a catch and shoot scenario why aren?t we fouling on the catch?.

Maybe because then we?d be fouling a shooter? And sending him to the line?
    Well you would also have to be in the same area code. Murphy just made a terrible mistake that should never have happened.

Basketball Guru
    its basketball IQ....the last play in regular play, we was suppose to guard the 3pt line only....i forgot who the player was who was guarding the lakers screener but he was suppose to let that player be and if that player flashed to the goal then so be it...you had 1.3 left on the clock so you give up the 2pts and game is over........but our player was worried about the screener which made it possible for ryan to get to his spot and catch the ball to shoot that game tying 3....

basketball IQ and dont know if that was just the player or both coaching and players but you give up the 2pts with 1.3 on the clock and game is over.....or if some how time was left after the 2pts then we inbound the ball by just throwing it up in the air as a jump ball and soon as anyone get a finger tip on the ball game is over.....

lebron didnt score his 30+ points on us like he did the last 3 games against us which turned out to be all losses..so lebron had help last night and they played team ball to win...walker was the leading scoring for the lakers with 28pts in 40mins....AD 20 and 16.....on our end `trey played 40mins and gave us 12pts....jonas gave us 9 and 10`....` if trey and jonas produce then we win the game easy even with us playing out of order in the first half.....

and i still believe we need a player coming off the bench who can get buckets and can start for when ingram is out....

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Lebron grabbed the rebound and immediately called timeout. It was closer than bang/bang. He had perfect eye contact with the ref. Go watch it again. They wouldn't have called a foul there.
    Yeah, and watch Naji on the play. If he attacks the glass and hammers Lebron over the back on the touch, no way Lebron has time to call timeout. And if you put Jonas over Lebron, even more so.

At least coach it. If Refs choose to award the timeout over the foul, so be it. The point is that you have to coach every second of the end of a game, account for every outcome. We assumed the guy would make 1 out of 2. I bet if the same thing happens again, they will do it different but Willie is still in the learning phase and losses that should be wins happen in that phase

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    The entire end to the game was a tragedy. From coaching to player IQ.

Yeah, and watch Naji on the play. If he attacks the glass and hammers Lebron over the back on the touch, no way Lebron has time to call timeout. And if you put Jonas over Lebron, even more so.

At least coach it. If Refs choose to award the timeout over the foul, so be it. The point is that you have to coach every second of the end of a game, account for every outcome. We assumed the guy would make 1 out of 2. I bet if the same thing happens again, they will do it different but Willie is still in the learning phase and losses that should be wins happen in that phase
    Naji was very lazy on 2 of the previous Laker misses and gave the Lakers second chances that they scored on. He does not do a good job attacking the ball on the misses as the FT line.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    . And if you put Jonas over Lebron, even more so.
    That is what puzzles me. Why did we not put our best rebounders in? There is no valid reason I can think of besides it was just an oversight, in a really obvious game situation.

What's the worst possible outcome from a Laker win here?

I have no words to describe this game…

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    So nothing. Teams don?t foul in catch and shoot last second shots. One shot from a 33% shooter or three FTs from a 78% shooter. Only fans would think the latter is a better option.
    If you say so. You also seem to think all free throws are created equal.

Dyson probably nails both of those free throws at any other part of the game. Nobody is a 100% free throw shooter.

Making 3 in a row in a high pressure situation isn't the same as making them in the 1st quarter.

Players aren't video game characters.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Im mostly disappointed with the defense tonight, there were a number of times that the lakers had a 3 on 1 2 on 1 fastbreak opportunity..they also had a bunch of 2nd opportunities that we could have just grabbed or protected. We can't guard anyone from driving to the lane, this was apparent in that utah game as well
    Herb would have helped there. He's very good off ball in defending his "zone", and particularly at the nail to stop middle drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I said at the start of the season that, because of the how the schedule looks over the first dozen games or so, I won't even really be surprised if the team starts off 5-7, or even 4-8 in extreme circumstances.

Now, we've won some of those worrying games now (Clippers, for example, and I predicted Nets to be harder than it was) but we've also lost games I expected us to win (Utah, Lakers), so to be honest, I'm still in on that. I'm not really going to worry about the record until Christmas unless we go on a horrific skid and drop 5 straight or something. We all knew it was a tough early schedule, you can't acknowledge that and then still expect us to come out of it 11-1 or whatever.

Looking at the schedule just before the season started, I thought about the same, guessing with all the early road games & good competition that a 6-6 start would still be a vast improvement over last year. In a way, it's kinda cool that I expected them to beat the Lakers on the road, down two starters.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Lakers gaining confidence and start winning more games

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I can think of a positive.
    Maybe it will stop some people on here pumping the Pels like they are already contenders.

They are good, not contenders.

This team being 4-3 (and missed victory 5 by two small miracles) despite missing 2-3 starters for most of it, against a tough road heavy schedule, and losing 2 of those games in OT by one possession, means the sunshine pumpers need to step back?

I think the true sunshine pumpers are so attached to this team, every loss seems like bridge jumping time.

I would be highly shocked if they lost both of these next 2 games. Especially if BI and Herb are back. Both the Warriors and Hawks have looked very pedestrian. And the Warriors will be coming into town off a b2b.

Ya know, I've heard it said many times that one play isn't the reason you lose a game. And that may be true. But 1 play can definitely WIN you a game. And DD had TWO chances to do just that. I'm sorry but rookie, vet, or whatever to miss TWO FT's and only needing ONE is inexcusable. It makes EVERYTHING that happens after that MOOT.He makes 1 FT and who cares what Trey or anybody else does after that . While you can't say that DD lost us the game , you can say he didn't win it with TWO chances to do just that

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This team being 4-3 (and missed victory 5 by two small miracles) despite missing 2-3 starters for most of it, against a tough road heavy schedule, and losing 2 of those games in OT by one possession, means the sunshine pumpers need to step back?

I think the true sunshine pumpers are so attached to this team, every loss seems like bridge jumping time.

I would be highly shocked if they lost both of these next 2 games. Especially if BI and Herb are back. Both the Warriors and Hawks have looked very pedestrian. And the Warriors will be coming into town off a b2b.
    There seems to always be an excuse as to how or why they lose.
    Even with a full team you honestly think this team is a contender? I'm not talking in 1 or 2 years, I'm talking now?

I think they are 2 pieces away, with upgrades to Jax and DG. Yes they need more time together, but some on here need to pump the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Even with a full team you honestly think this team is a contender? I'm not talking in 1 or 2 years, I'm talking now?

I think they are 2 pieces away, with upgrades to Jax and DG. Yes they need more time together, but some on here need to pump the brakes.
    So missing 2 to 3 starters is what you call an "excuse"? That makes as much sense as a person with 1 leg losing a 200 meter olympic sprint, then somebody telling them missing one leg is just an excuse.

What team in the entire NBA, missing 2 - 3 starters (including their best player) would be better right now? We can start there.

Otherwise I risk arguing against a wacky premise to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

Define 'contender'

This is a loose term that many define slightly differently and thereby leads to disagreements that are based on definition, not actual disagreement

You guys are still being emotional? You got a super young team and young head coach with like 6 years of experience coaching. You gonna have some ugly losses till the team hits it's prime. This isn't even one of those ugly losses... The real ugly losses happen in April and May. it took Giannis and the Bucks seven season to get to the finals and win. Raptors was in the playoff for years... GSW took a quite a few years to become a dynasty.

If Willie was 65 years old... I'd say... Yeah, this is who he is as a coach, but that's simply not true. It's frustrating, but you hire a young coach. You gonna have lapses. I trust Willie's work ethic to continue to get better and more consistent while he's trying to manage a lot of personalities and morale. As a fan, I can come out and say that we shouldn't give so and so the minutes that they got. This player should of been out there in OT. Willie is still really poor at managing OT. Objectively, it could be all true. I can trust Willie to figure it out. He may be AOL dial slow sometimes, but he usually arrives at the right destination.

This is the 1st year where this team has any sort of expectations. Let them acclimate and not treat every game like it's an elimination playoff game. it's still just ONE game out of 82. Losses make your team better too.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So missing 2 to 3 starters is what you call an "excuse"? That makes as much sense as a person with 1 leg losing a 200 meter olympic sprint, then somebody telling them missing one leg is just an excuse.

What team in the entire NBA, missing 2 - 3 starters (including their best player) would be better right now? We can start there.

Otherwise I risk arguing against a wacky premise to begin with.
    Herb was ready to go, had no pain and they chose to sit him out.
    BI has been side lined for 2 weeks for concussion and this has already been discussed on here that BI is overly cautious with his injuries.

Having players that are durable would help to use the 'contender' word on here.
    So yes choosing to sit both players out is an excuse as to why they lost for some.
    You don't know 100% they would have won with both Herb and Brandon playing.

Define 'contender'

This is a loose term that many define slightly differently and thereby leads to disagreements that are based on definition, not actual disagreement
    Top 2 in the West or Finals in the West.

I think this team is top 4 'if healthy' with the current roster.
    Improve Jax and DG next season and I think they are a contender.

Portland made a WCF a few years ago, I wouldn’t have called them a contender. Atlanta made it to the ECF two years ago and they weren’t a contender IMO. Dallas made it to WCF last year, I wouldn’t have called them a contender.

I hold contender in much higher regard. Basically, can they actually win the title without some strange outlier fluke. So, I wouldn’t even call Phoenix a contender this year. Can they finish with the top record in the West? Yup. Can they maybe make it to the WCF? Yup. But they ain’t winning 4 series

I think the contenders this year are Boston, Milwaukee, Golden State. That’s it. I would be very surprised if anyone else won the title this year. And no, I don’t think the Pels are in that tier and won’t be for at least another year, maybe two

Injuries happen every year, they only need that one chance
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 11-03-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Thread Information