Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: October 30th - New Orleans Pelicans @ LA Clippers - 3-2

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    So it’s plausible that we could afford both on 2nd contracts ?
    I think the Pels sign all these guys to 2nd deals. None of them just walk. But one of these guys will be our Kevin Huerter - where we trade them for a future pick or two at the beginning of their extension. Unless Mrs Benson is really willing to go deep into that tax for multiple years and I will believe that when I see it

But none of these guys just walk for nothing
    @mcnamara247

The rate that Trey is developing, probably get the same percentage extension that Jaylen Brown got

I see it much closer to Deandre Hunter or whatever Cam Johnson is gonna get. We watch Trey every day and most are fans. But objectively, what has he really accomplished? He won’t be a starter in all likelihood when it’s time to extend. Might not be a closer.

Guy shows flashes, but I would be shocked if he has anywhere close to the first 4 years Brown had. More like Cam Johnson

He's barely into his second season and has improved a lot off the dribble, beating his man and finishing well. Not to mention shooting 50% on a decent volume of threes. I think he's 19/35 this season

I won't argue with a Hunter evaluation
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-31-2022 at 10:11 AM.

6 games into the year, we are 4-2. Here's how we stack up among the league, so far.

4th overall in adjusted Net Rating
    1st in adjusted Ortg, 12th in adjusted defensive

2nd in FG%
    2nd in 3pt% (28th in volume, however)
    10th in FT% (26th in volume)
    8th in Offensive boards
    23rd in defensive boards
    17th in TOV%

It'll be interesting to see how some of these numbers change across the season. For example, I don't think we're the 2nd best shooting team in the NBA so we'll probably regress a bit there, but on the other hand, I also don't think we're a bottom 10 defensive rebounding team so I'd expect that to go up. Similarly, 2nd in FG% may or may not stay, but 26th in FT rate despite having Zion, JV, and Ingram seems very low - this fits with Zion currently getting almost half the FTs per game than he got in his last full season, so it may just be a case of waiting for the reffing to catch up to reality with that.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Very real chance that Herb overachieved last year

Naji looked every bit of 90% of Josh Hart last night
    Exactly my thoughts. Both

Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    I like Herb but I doubt any expansion team would be interested in his "type", especially considering the $$ he'll be making by that time. Sounds like you don't think Herb will be worth the $$ the Pels will have to pay him in the near future. Understand if you feel that way. I just think he's gonna get quite a bit better offensively than you do...guess we'll find out.
    'has never been an offensive player, isn't an offensive player now, and really can't change one's mental makeup

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am one of those that believes Herb's rookie season will be his best (or close) shooting season. He has tried to take some mid range shots and drove into a floater this season and it looked really bad. Maybe he can be Bruce Bowen. Maybe. But I would be surprised with anything more than that. I personally have more faith in Trey's D

An interesting question for the board is: Imagine there is an expansion draft and you can only protect 3 of the 5... who/what do you protect?

Herb
    Daniels
    Trey
    2023 pick
    The 2024/25 Lakers pick

I think I go: Trey, Daniels, 2023 pick
    Surprised you are that high on Trey. What makes him your top protection?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I didn’t put my three in order. Today, in order, would probably be the guy we get with the 2023 pick, then Dyson, then Trey, then Herb, then the Lakers 24/25 pick. All subject to change, of course

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I didn’t put my three in order
    Certainly read like you ordered. Multiple people inferred

But good save

I liked Zion's game in this one - he didn't force anything and was looking for his teammates.
    What's more, Naji is playing very well lately! Now it's time for Herb to come back.

Thread Information