Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: October 30th - New Orleans Pelicans @ LA Clippers - 3-2

Lakers will be 0-7 by the time we leave their arena.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Gonna be so interesting to see how the Pels finish games if everyone is healthy come playoffs

Zion, BI, and CJ will be in. Then, you gotta choose 2 of: JV, Trey, Nance, and Herb. I think JV is least likely of the 4 unless you are playing Jokic. I really think Herb could be on the bench
    If Herb improves offensively as I think he will, he'll be the 4th...I'm liking Nance waaaay over JV even vs the extremely rare "Jokic situation" I approach Jokic one of 2 ways...either single him & let him get his 30 while concentrating on the other Nuggets or double him if you really wanna put in the time & effort to have all 5 players learning how to play the "double". Some could do it fairly easily, some couldn't. Either way, I just don't see any reason to have JV on the court in the final 5 minutes. To me, Trey is the wildcard in this discussion...assuming he can't handle the small ball 5, which I assume...I could STILL see him possibly being on the court in the final 5 minutes...and I'm NOT ABOUT to say who I think might be on the bench if Trey is out there. Gotta feelin'...deep down inside...you KNOW who that should probably be.

Zion showed a lot more patience than in the previous games. I thought it was his best game of the season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Willie needs to let Zion be Point Zion every minute BI isnt on the court. Has no excuse now after this game
    I love that Point Zion, because he will pass the ball if he needs too. I would not consider him a ball hog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    If Herb improves offensively as I think he will, he'll be the 4th...I'm liking Nance waaaay over JV even vs the extremely rare "Jokic situation" I approach Jokic one of 2 ways...either single him & let him get his 30 while concentrating on the other Nuggets or double him if you really wanna put in the time & effort to have all 5 players learning how to play the "double". Some could do it fairly easily, some couldn't. Either way, I just don't see any reason to have JV on the court in the final 5 minutes. To me, Trey is the wildcard in this discussion...assuming he can't handle the small ball 5, which I assume...I could STILL see him possibly being on the court in the final 5 minutes...and I'm NOT ABOUT to say who I think might be on the bench if Trey is out there. Gotta feelin'...deep down inside...you KNOW who that should probably be.
    When is Herb gonna make this offensive leap? If anything, he is regressing. At best, staying the same.

I think it is far more likely Trey makes the leap defensively than Herb makes the leap offensively
    @mcnamara247

When is Herb gonna make this offensive leap? If anything, he is regressing. At best, staying the same.

I think it is far more likely Trey makes the leap defensively than Herb makes the leap offensively

Would luv to see Trey make the leap defensively. And Dyson might even be a factor by playoff time. Just wanting small steps from Herb...maybe shooting 36% on C&S 3s and a bit more "movement" on offense. That's not asking too much from Herb...imo...unless you're one of those that think he actually shot 33.7% on attempted 3-pters last year.
    Last edited by The Dud; 10-30-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Very real chance that Herb overachieved last year

Naji looked every bit of 90% of Josh Hart last night

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Bench mob punches above their weight once again. Valuable experience that will be needed in the playoffs.

And yes, please let Point Zion be a thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    Would luv to see Trey make the leap defensively. And Dyson might even be a factor by playoff time. Just wanting small steps from Herb...maybe shooting 36% on C&S 3s and a bit more "movement" on offense. That's not asking too much from Herb...imo...unless you're one of those that think he actually shot 33.7% on attempted 3-pters last year.
    I am one of those that believes Herb's rookie season will be his best (or close) shooting season. He has tried to take some mid range shots and drove into a floater this season and it looked really bad. Maybe he can be Bruce Bowen. Maybe. But I would be surprised with anything more than that. I personally have more faith in Trey's D

An interesting question for the board is: Imagine there is an expansion draft and you can only protect 3 of the 5... who/what do you protect?

Herb
    Daniels
    Trey
    2023 pick
    The 2024/25 Lakers pick

I think I go: Trey, Daniels, 2023 pick

I am one of those that believes Herb's rookie season will be his best (or close) shooting season. He has tried to take some mid range shots and drove into a floater this season and it looked really bad. Maybe he can be Bruce Bowen. Maybe. But I would be surprised with anything more than that. I personally have more faith in Trey's D

An interesting question for the board is: Imagine there is an expansion draft and you can only protect 3 of the 5... who/what do you protect?

Herb
    Daniels
    Trey
    2023 pick
    The 2024/25 Lakers pick

I think I go: Trey, Daniels, 2023 pick
    I like Herb but I doubt any expansion team would be interested in his "type", especially considering the $$ he'll be making by that time. Sounds like you don't think Herb will be worth the $$ the Pels will have to pay him in the near future. Understand if you feel that way. I just think he's gonna get quite a bit better offensively than you do...guess we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Lakers will be 0-7 by the time we leave their arena.
    And one step closer to Zion, Brandon, and Victor being the next NBA big three. I hope.

Herb will be a good player. Is a good player. I want to keep him. But I would choose Trey, Daniels, and whoever we get with this Lakers pick long term over him. And thats crazy that this team will have that many good, young pieces, that a guy like Herb will be that far down the list. He would be a couple teams best prospect

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    And one step closer to Zion, Brandon, and Victor being the next NBA big three. I hope.
    I might be in the minority, but I would rather have Scoot

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    I might be in the minority, but I would rather have Scoot
    I think you are more like Solo. Wemby is generational.

Herb will be a good player. Is a good player. I want to keep him. But I would choose Trey, Daniels, and whoever we get with this Lakers pick long term over him. And thats crazy that this team will have that many good, young pieces, that a guy like Herb will be that far down the list. He would be a couple teams best prospect
    On Herb...just gets down to whether he will end up being a Thybulle or a Mikal Bridges. HUGE difference & I think Herb will end up closer to being a Bridges & imo, will be a better defensive player than Mikal. Of course, Suns' roster will demand more offense out of MB, especially with the decline of CP3 while Pels' have no need for much of any offense out of Herb. Be a coupla years, imo, before Pels are serious title contenders & I assume JV will be gone and CJ will hopefully be a decent "6 man" even though he will probably be getting totally abused on the defensive end, by then. Offensive needs might take a turn with insertion of a Daniels-type player in the lineup. If Pels don't think Herb can expand his offense by then, I'm not sure why they would want to pay him the $$ it will take to keep him around.

Herb has little to no burst, no ability to shoot off the dribble, and a decent handle going straight forward, but nothing in traffic. I just can't see him becoming even an average offensive player. It would be an outlier to go from where he is today to something above average, especially with how few offensive reps he will get on this team specifically. A longer, better defending Bruce Brown seems like a reasonable current comp. And if thats the case, I dont think he will be as costly as some might expect

Herb has little to no burst, no ability to shoot off the dribble, and a decent handle going straight forward, but nothing in traffic. I just can't see him becoming even an average offensive player. It would be an outlier to go from where he is today to something above average, especially with how few offensive reps he will get on this team specifically. A longer, better defending Bruce Brown seems like a reasonable current comp. And if thats the case, I dont think he will be as costly as some might expect
    So it’s plausible that we could afford both on 2nd contracts ?

Totally understandable point of view...but...Herb is just a VERY odd case. About as odd as I can remember...from a developmental perspective. Think I'll just leave it at that for the time being, except for my personal opinion that, in a way, Pels may have been a perfect spot for a guy like Herb to land...to start his career BUT not the best spot...to reach his full potential. Hope it works out for the best...for all concerned.

herb just needs to develop a semi reliable 3 point shot from somewhere on the floor. CJ, BI, Zion, Jonas are all big time offensive firepower we dont need much from Herb except being able to knock down an open look every now and then.

Good job "contender" Nuggets. Fantastic work.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Yeah that blows. Great about the Saints and Pels. Oh well, they weren't going to lose all their games lolz. Pels need to take care of business Wednesday!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Herb seems better offensively to me. His 3pt looks more natural. He's where he needs to be in the offensive scheme and he's scrappy. I don't know why he needs to become that much better on offense. His role is as a defender and a competent role player, which he is. He seems to be improving from the outside and on drives, so I don't know why you'd try to shape him into someone that needs the ball to be effective on offense.

Pels were the only road team out of 8 to win today.

Maybe the weird noon start wasn't so bad afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Oh yeah Naji... smdh
    I keep thinking the same thing. To a lesser regard he's BI 2.0 to some. I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Naji looked every bit of 90% of Josh Hart last night
    Absolutely!!! And for pennies on the dollar, too!!

Thread Information