Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: October 25th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Dallas Mavericks - 2-1

Pelicans October 25th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Dallas Mavericks - 2-1

Took a last second L last game, which is a shame, but here we are - these things happen and will happen more when you've got a schedule like ours.

That being said, tonight is another difficult game on paper which is going to be made more difficult for injury reasons.

- Ingram is out (concussion protocol)
    - Zion and Herb are both questionable (''posterior contusion'' and knee hyperextension respectively)

If Zion & Herb do play, this game is going to be tough but winnable. If they don't and we're missing 3 starters, it's pretty safe to assume tonight will not be pretty.

Let's see what happens.
    Basketball.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    that was only our first L! I agree if Zion & Herb are both out, we're doomed to our second tonight..

This will be a loss, and that’s fine. Accept it, sit Herb and either sit or limit Zion and let’s move on to the next
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    that was only our first L! I agree if Zion & Herb are both out, we're doomed to our second tonight..
    I think people in general should temper their expectations over the first dozen games or so. Looking at our schedule, plus whether it's b2b and such, it's not unrealistic to think that even with perfect health we could come out 6-6 very easily and that would be a good outcome in those games; losses against only good/playoff teams and cleaning up where we should. So if we get to 12 games and we're only 5-7, or hell, even 4-8 taking injuries into account, that wouldn't be great but I don't think it's a doomed season or anything.

Our schedule starts pretty tough to the year. Therefore panic should be reserved until Christmas, where things will have eased up a bit and we should be seeing the record start to take that favourable direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This will be a loss, and that’s fine. Accept it, sit Herb and either sit or limit Zion and let’s move on to the next
    For the people who actually go to the games, nope

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    For the people who actually go to the games, nope
    I think you can get joy outside of the simple win or loss equation. You sit those guys and that SHOULD mean 30+ mins for Trey and 20+ for DD. I will happily watch that

I think you can get joy outside of the simple win or loss equation. You sit those guys and that SHOULD mean 30+ mins for Trey and 20+ for DD. I will happily watch that
    Right, you will and I would too, but the crowd Sunday night was the best I have ever seen it outside of the playoffs. You want to carry that momentum throughout the season. You don't want to go into a basically two week road stand outside of the GS game after getting blown out by 30 because you sat out your best players with minor injuries. We don't want to admit it, but this fan base is still relatively new. Every home game matters

I know from a realists perspective or for someone who is not a "fan", that explanation doesn't make a ton of sense; but there has been a real shift in this city. It should be rewarded by giving the people at least some of what they paid for in game 4 of the season.

How will that crowd be if Zion plays again and comes out in the 2nd injured? If the Pels play their main dudes and still get spanked? To me, the crowd really got hyped when the scrappy little underdogs came in and made that run. That can happen again tonight

How will that crowd be if Zion plays again and comes out in the 2nd injured? If the Pels play their main dudes and still get spanked? To me, the crowd really got hyped when the scrappy little underdogs came in and made that run. That can happen again tonight
    If the injury list comes out and says Zion out, BI out, Herb out, I think the crowd will be in a cumulative state of depression at game time lol

If the injury list comes out and says Zion out, BI out, Herb out, I think the crowd will be in a cumulative state of depression at game time lol
    We'll see. Zion and Herb downgraded to out.

Per Lopez-

Pelicans say Herb Jones and Zion Williamson have been downgraded to OUT for tonight’s game.

Nice to get your wish every once in a while

Well, we will find out!!!

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Every damn year. So let?s just tank our home games. Ridiculous with this. Three starters out by the 4th game is down right pathetic.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Ugh. I'm with you on the long-term but starting 4-0 would've been big for this team & city. Now we're at real risk of falling below .500 with the tough upcoming slate. Frustrating to lose that momentum and enthusiasm.

I'd like to see Trey have to take on the best player on the other team full time. Dyson for a little bit as well, in addition to seeing if he gets a chance to orchestrate the offense. Who knows, could be the start of willie seeing the advantage of dyson over naji.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Every damn year. So let?s just tank our home games. Ridiculous with this. Three starters out by the 4th game is down right pathetic.
    You wont even remember game 4 by December. None of these guys are injured long term. All will be back by the weekend or early next week at the absolute latest

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    You wont even remember game 4 by December. None of these guys are injured long term. All will be back by the weekend or early next week at the absolute latest
    It’s mostly that they are doing it at home that bothers me. They need to stop blowing opportunities to keep the fans involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

That being said, tonight is another difficult game on paper which is going to be made more difficult for injury reasons.

- Ingram is out (concussion protocol)
    - Zion and Herb are both questionable (''posterior contusion'' and knee hyperextension respectively)
    So now instead of being a 'pain in the ^$$' now he has a 'Pain in the ^$$'!! That's about right.

You wanna lose the fans? Have Zion go out for the year again because you rushed him back. Again, in March when they are steamrolling to the playoffs, nobody will remember this random
    October loss. But they would if it’s the game Zion got a major injury

Frustrating, but injuries are random. You’re howling at the moon.

When I looked at the schedule, I thought we’d basically be around a .500 squad the first half of the season as guys settled into their roles and rotations got sorted. That performance in Brooklyn charged me up too, but that’s more like I thought we’d look the second half of the season….

Draft Pick
    I'm looking forward to seeing how Trey handles an increased role and some extra minutes for DD. I think it's a prove it moment for Devonte to see if he can stick in the rotation, because the bench will really need someone who can score.

You wanna lose the fans? Have Zion go out for the year again because you rushed him back. Again, in March when they are steamrolling to the playoffs, nobody will remember this random
    October loss. But they would if it’s the game Zion got a major injury
    Agreed.

Looking forward to 35 minutes of Trey!

Time for some Dyson?!?! Or time for 48 minutes of Naji?

I actually don't mind Naji in this game. If there's one thing he'll give you every night, it's 100% effort on the defensive end. We need that tonight against Luka

Thread Information