Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Pelicans Centric Prospects for the 2023 NBA Draft

Top 10 Pelicans Centric Prospects for the 2023 NBA Draft

This became a popular 2022 thread, so why not have it here to pull up every once in a while during the 2023 season, since we know the Pelicans will have another top 10 pick

This is my list as of right now:

1. Victor Wembanyama - Not to be too hyperbolic, but if this somehow happens, I think it would be a major disappointment if the Pels didnt win 5 titles or more between 2025-2032. I mean, this would be like when the Spurs added Duncan, but if instead of having Sean Elliot, they had T-Mac and instead of Vinny Del Negro, they had Tim Hardaway. Would just not be fair.
    2. Scoot Henderson - How would you like to add Ja Morant with better passing to the team?
    3. Amen Thompson - This is where you can start to debate guys. I will take Amen here, mostly because his passing tells me he has a high IQ to go with insane athleticism
    4. Nick Smith - Imagine adding Anthony Edwards to the current core
    5. Anthony Black - A little higher than you will see him on most boards, but I love the size and the passing. Imagine Daniels but he comes into the league with the 3 ball
    6. Keyonte George - What the Pels really liked in Ben Mathurin, but with a frame that will make him a bigger version, with even more explosiveness
    7. Cam Whitmore - Another guy who would give the Pels another two-way wing and will come into the league with an NBA body
    8. Ausur Thompson - the lesser Thompson brother IMO, but continues the multi positional theme and reminds me a lot of Trey, actually
    9. Arthur Kaluma - Have him higher on my board than most, and I think thats because most teams in the lotto are looking for franchise players. Kaluma wont be that, but could be the 2023 Scottie Barnes
    10. Dereck Lively - A lot of good perimeter guys in this draft, but I wouldnt hate coming out of it with the center of the future, and Lively would be that for me. I could see Myles Turner but with much more switchability and perimeter defense. Or, a 85% version of Evan Mobley - whichever idea you prefer to think of

Will be interesting to see how this looks 8 months from now. My overall thoughts on the 2023 draft is that 1-10 will be better than 2022, but I think it falls off a little faster too
    @mcnamara247

Asking because I don't actually know, but what picks do we have this year and are there any protections/weird conditions on them like last year? If we have the Lakers pick with no protections then we are 1 LeBron/AD injury (not rooting for this just saying) away from a top 3 pick.

We have the better of our pick and the Lakers pick. No protections. That pick lands #1, we get it

It's always fascinating to follow the prospects from early on... I think of guys in recent years like Emoni Bates and Patrick Baldwin Jr, who were getting early #1 pick chatter.

Anthony Black is an early one who caught my eye, leading the USA's U18 team in rebounds, assists, blocks, & steals. He's a 6'7" guy listed by different scouting sites as PG, SG, & SF, which shows right away how versatile he can be. I'll be watching him this year.

What if? Hear me out, if we somehow land the first pic and draft Victor?Would you give up your entire draft assets for the number two pick for scoot?

Mac, just for S&G, would # 1 and the rest of our treasure chest of draft picks be enough to get Victor Wembanyama (whoever holds the drafts rights to him is probably a bad team and in need of more than one player)?

If you think it might. would you do it? For me it would depend on where the Laker pick falls this year.

There is a minute chance that pick 2 plus what other assortment/permutation of draft assets you can put together because Henderson is that good, but the probability of that happening is still approaching 0

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    There is a minute chance that pick 2 plus what other assortment/permutation of draft assets you can put together because Henderson is that good, but the probability of that happening is still approaching 0
    I'm sorry; I was referring our current starting power forward (# 1) and our treasure trove for a shot at Victor Wembanyama. I probably didnt make myself
    clear. If we somehow got the overall # 2 pick this year....consider me out of that potential trade.
    Last edited by As I See It; 10-22-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Mac, just for S&G, would # 1 and the rest of our treasure chest of draft picks be enough to get Victor Wembanyama (whoever holds the drafts rights to him is probably a bad team and in need of more than one player)?

If you think it might. would you do it? For me it would depend on where the Laker pick falls this year.
    Nothing can get you Wemby. You can give every pick and Zion and that team would say no

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Nothing can get you Wemby. You can give every pick and Zion and that team would say no
    I figured that was probably the case even if Wemby pulled an "Eli Manning' on the "lottery winner"!!!

Thanks!!!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    His name is Amen. I’m already sold on face of that name being absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    His name is Amen. I’m already sold on face of that name being absurd.
    His brother's called Ausar and is also a top 6 prospect, so that's pretty fun.
    Basketball.

Ausar to the shopkeep!

I honestly never would thought there would be more of a hype than Zion coming out of a draft...Until Wemby

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    I honestly never would thought there would be more of a hype than Zion coming out of a draft...Until Wemby
    And apparently, there is another giant 16 year old French kid with crazy skill too.

One thing people gotta remember though is that NOBODY wins big as the #1 option until their mid 20s. So, yeah, whatever team gets him will be ecstatic, but its still gonna be half a decade or more until that team is in the Finals -- unless he goes to the Pels, of course

And apparently, there is another giant 16 year old French kid with crazy skill too.

One thing people gotta remember though is that NOBODY wins big as the #1 option until their mid 20s. So, yeah, whatever team gets him will be ecstatic, but its still gonna be half a decade or more until that team is in the Finals -- unless he goes to the Pels, of course
    We really are in such a unique position here, being talented AND having a solid chance to get a high lottery pick as well.

Figured I would bump this. I would be super happy with any of these 10. Just need the Lakers to keep losing!

So after tonight, I intend to keep an eye on Dereck Lively. We desperately need a player like him.

Scott on this team would be fun.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Scott on this team would be fun.
    Michael Scott? Are you serious? The warehouse team completely locked him up!

Michael Scott? Are you serious? The warehouse team completely locked him up!
    I wake up and this garbage is the FIRST thing I read ??? ...There's a sleeper out there folks...take 40 lbs off him...and you've got Steph Curry, Part 2...I submit for your approval...Kevin Malone !!

Malone has a wet jumper, I will give him that. But what separates him and Steph is the movement off the ball and the IQ

Your top 10 prospect video of the day. If this kid gets with Fred Vinson, watch out!

https://youtu.be/yfsbVp672XA

No Brandon miller in your top 10 Mac?

Don't love Amen at 3. Same with Black, we need shooters.

Terquavion Smith will rise up boards this year. He's a mix of Bones Hyland and Poole.

Thread Information