Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakers already in mid-season form.

Lakers already in mid-season form.

Welcome your newest Pelican, Amen Thompson
    Basketball.

Only thing better than watching the Pelicans make the playoffs last season was witnessing Russell Westbrook implode the Lakers franchise single-handedly. The Lakers' season is off to a great start.

Last edited by Chris; 10-13-2022 at 03:14 PM.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 10-13-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Welcome your newest Pelican, Amen Thompson
    Thoughts on Wemby?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Sad part is how many other teams are tanking. If this were a regular year with like 2 or 3 teams tanking from the start and maybe 2 or 3 more joining them post ASB, you could see the Lakers having top 5 or 6 odds

But I don’t care how bad their season goes, they won’t be worse than Houston, SA, OKC, and Utah out West. And by simple math, the 5th worst team out West will be better than at least 2 or 3 in the East.

I think the ceiling for us is similar to last lotto where we have like 8th beat odds. I would say the median is 12th or 13th best odds.
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We know of the top two prizes. Is the drop off precipitous right after them?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Thoughts on Wemby?
    He's the obvious #1 pick but I just went safe and didn't assume 1st from the Lakers. Flattened odds, and I don't think they'll be a bottom 3 team

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We know of the top two prizes. Is the drop off precipitous right after them?
    There's a drop off but imo, the entire top 6 is excellent. And there's still some interesting depth after that.

Wembanyama and Scoot are, at this point, clear 1 and 2. After that, there's basically Amen and Ausar Thompson (twins, somehow, both incredible prospects), Cam Whitmore, and Dariq Whitehead. All really good top-of-the-lottery prospects. Amen might be one of the most insane athletes I've seen, definitely a top shelf athlete. The fact that his brother is close is insane.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Sad part is how many other teams are tanking. If this were a regular year with like 2 or 3 teams tanking from the start and maybe 2 or 3 more joining them post ASB, you could see the Lakers having top 5 or 6 odds

But I don’t care how bad their season goes, they won’t be worse than Houston, SA, OKC, and Utah out West. And by simple math, the 5th worst team out West will be better than at least 2 or 3 in the East.

I think the ceiling for us is similar to last lotto where we have like 8th beat odds. I would say the median is 12th or 13th best odds.
    The bottom 3 teams each have a 14% for the #1 overall pick. The 4th worst has a 12.5%, followed by #5 at 10.5 and #6 at 9.5%.

If Lebron and/or AD suffer an injury, that team won't tank, but they will suck. That roster is abysmal. We have a shot.

Benched

Either two things here. Lakers will try to trade Westbrook or they will tank for Wemby
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 10-14-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Either two things here. Lakers will try to trade Westbrook or they will tank for Wemby
    And why would they tank?

We have the option to swap with the Lakers this year (I think)? Does them no good to do worse than the Pels.
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

Quote Originally Posted by boot318 View Post
    We have the option to swap with the Lakers this year (I think)? Does them no good to do worse than the Pels.
    For a guy who frequents this board as much as he/she does, you'd think they'd know that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    For a guy who frequents this board as much as he/she does, you'd think they'd know that by now.
    Yeah, but what with Pelinka and Linda Rambis and whatnot, they might not realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    And why would they tank?
    Didn’t Realize it. Anyway

https://deadspin.com/attention-nba-t...lak-1849658007

We could probably take Westbrook if they want Graham and Temple. Also if he is willing to take a pay cut.

Jesus Christ

Even the most casual of a fan knows we own the Laker 1st

We could probably take Westbrook if they want Graham and Temple. Also if he is willing to take a pay cut.
    Jesus Christ

You can't renegotiate contracts under the NBA CBA

What are you even doing
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-14-2022 at 07:06 PM.

Westbrook leaves game with hamstring soreness.

Maybe it's the contagious version.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Jesus Christ

You can't renegotiate contracts under the NBA CBA

What are you even doing
    Nevermind. They are stuck with him. Let the Lakers go broke!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Westbrook leaves game with hamstring soreness.

Maybe it's the contagious version.
    It's that Ben Simmons stimulus.

Let's call it what it is. Westbrook quit on the Lakers tonight, but not before getting booed coming off the bench. The only thing that got hurt were his feelings.

I know it's only preseason, but the Lakers losing by 47 points brings me great joy.
    Last edited by Chris; 10-15-2022 at 01:34 AM.

It's only pre-season and we all know that means we can't just extrapolate things one to one into the regular season but based on what we've seen, Lakers fans cannot be too happy right now.

1-5 in preseason. Those 5 losses include a 47 point loss to the Kings, a 30 point loss to the Kings, and a 16 point loss to the Wolves.

Westbrook might be injured, and even if he's not, the atmosphere surrounding him - particularly him and Pat Bev - seems to be toxic.

AD spent the entire summer talking about being focused on playing all 82 games for the first time in his career and he sat out for about half the preseason games with various ailments.

Lebron, as great as he is, turns 38 in two months.

Their roster, while I don't think it's quite as bad as some people do, is hardly a picture of excellence.

If everything goes right for them - that is, if Westbrook's situation is sorted and they can either move him for something good (lol) or get him to play effective benchwarmer minutes, Lebron doesn't drop off the cliff, the depth on the roster all pans out, and AD can hold his limbs together for more than about 55 games - then yeah, it's a playoff team. I don't think it's a home court playoff team, but it's got 40-45 wins there.

If anything goes wrong, I could see them being a lottery team fairly easily. AD goes down and plays 25 games, lottery team. Lebron finally hits the wall, lottery team. Westbrook remains on the team toxifying the atmosphere until all-star break at least, lottery team.

Rough year.

Thread Information