Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is Most Needed Against the REAL Contenders?

I respect your opinion but I don’t think I have seen anything on this board I disagree with more. He is horrible on defense for this current NBA. You watch any close game last year down the stretch, when he played, and teams literally put him in the pick and roll every possession. And come playoff time that is going to happen even more

The only way he could be a net positive before was to be good enough offensively to offset his poor D and to your point, we don’t need his offense nearly as much any more. I think he will be positive culture wise but purely on court, I think he will be the guy who draws the most ire from the fan base this year - of the main guys
    @mcnamara247

I think there's a disconnect when we talk about defense and how it relates to finishing games. I don't think JV is a finisher. I don't think the Pels think JV is a finisher long term. I don't think JV thinks he's a finisher long term. His $14.7 mil contract is telling in that regard. I view him more in terms of steadying the ship. You know that night in and night out, he's going to be in the right spots and he's going to crush it on the glass. The advanced metrics say that too, for the most part.

Like I said, and you outlined it more properly, there's going to be a number of good teams that he is unplayable against. At his cap number, that's fine. Nance is a nice yang to JV's yin because of his athleticism and foot speed. We all know that the ceiling for this team is finishing with Trey anyway most nights. I just want to get out in front of the takes that JV is unplayable defensively because I know it's coming, and there's nothing in his numbers that back that up

Its all about WHEN in my opinion

By that, I mean that I see 3 different sports when I watch the NBA -- regular season, first 42 minutes; regular season, last 6 mins; and Playoffs (and you can argue 3rd and 4th round is a different sport from 1st and 2nd)

So, yeah, when you look at thousands of minutes, most of which take place in the first sport, JV appears fine. Where the Pels are at now, roster wise, I dont really care about that any more. I would be trying to tinker my roster to maximize the other times (final 6 mins and playoffs). And I know I cant use JV consistently for that. Honestly, I think Nance will be below average there too. Better than JV, but I dont think he really offers enough on either end to be a closing 5 player on a real contender. Eventually, the Pels will either have to trade for an impact big or you gotta hope they can close with length and gang rebound/protect the rim with length (Herb, Daniels, BI, Trey, Duke Zion, etc)

JV is a fine value, and will be an amazing culture piece. Rather have him than not, but since I dont value you the regular season, first 42 mins that much, I probably think less of him as a player than most

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Its all about WHEN in my opinion

By that, I mean that I see 3 different sports when I watch the NBA -- regular season, first 42 minutes; regular season, last 6 mins; and Playoffs (and you can argue 3rd and 4th round is a different sport from 1st and 2nd)

So, yeah, when you look at thousands of minutes, most of which take place in the first sport, JV appears fine. Where the Pels are at now, roster wise, I dont really care about that any more. I would be trying to tinker my roster to maximize the other times (final 6 mins and playoffs). And I know I cant use JV consistently for that. Honestly, I think Nance will be below average there too. Better than JV, but I dont think he really offers enough on either end to be a closing 5 player on a real contender. Eventually, the Pels will either have to trade for an impact big or you gotta hope they can close with length and gang rebound/protect the rim with length (Herb, Daniels, BI, Trey, Duke Zion, etc)

JV is a fine value, and will be an amazing culture piece. Rather have him than not, but since I dont value you the regular season, first 42 mins that much, I probably think less of him as a player than most
    No disagreements. He's obviously the most obvious position to upgrade, but he's good enough to allow you to be patient

Thread Information