Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Media Day Thread

Media Day Thread

CJ speaking now talking about starting the season off right .
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Zion looks amazing man.

We open with Trajon... This is what I like to see

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Zion looks like someone created a whole new body in 2K and posted his huge head into it.

A cut and fit Zion? If he gives even 65% the defensive energy and overall hustle of Duke Zion the league is about to die.

is it over? I'm on the stream and I get nothing.

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipUjB5KjQ00

OK Nance is up.
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 09-26-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Zion looks incredible. This is about to be the most hype season ever.

Most players these days say they listen to Future, Drake, and some mumbling fools I never heard of.

Zion said he got inspired by Ready to Die. My boi!!!

Quote collections from today:

Cites ''Ready to Die'' as an inspirational album for how it talks about stress and standing with the weight of the world on your shoulders.

EuroBasket MVP in the family

Basically everyone is saying that Herb puts in ungodly amounts of work and that it's difficult to get him to even leave the gym.

Zion cited Nance, Temple, and CJ as some of the people integral to getting him to understand the approach he needs to take to his own health going forward - most notably he says that they explained to him that he can't just do things based on a template of what used to work, but instead has to have dynamic plans that change year on year. This is an example of that, I guess.

Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseWinPels View Post
    Zion looks incredible. This is about to be the most hype season ever.
    For real. For people who didn't see, here's a visual comparison:

Just very clearly slimmer and leaner.

Nance is a really great interview. Very good to listen to. Between him and CJ we probably have some of the best and clearest communicating players in the league.

Everyone on the team talking about Herb's work ethic is why i think he will be a very good player.

Peak levels of hype for this season acquired

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Peak levels of hype for this season acquired
    The vibes this media day have been immaculate. Compare this to the Gordon/Birdman type days and it's a world away.

Zion looks authentically super happy these days (and so does the rest of the team)

You love to see it

Quotes from BI now I'm getting around to his interview:

On expectations to win: ''The mentality is always to win, the expectation is to win. Especially for our team. We just have some added fans, we always kinda believed in each other and what we were doing. So the expectation is still the same. I don't know what's the outside expectation for us, but we're ultimately trying to bring a championship to New Orleans.''

On Zion's return and adjustment: ''It'll definitely be a feeling out process. It's been a while since we've played with each other so, anyone coming into the fold it's going to be a little different. I'll try to watch some highlights, ask him how he wants the basketball and how he wants to play, but until we get out on the floor... hopefully during pre-season we can get it together.''

''It's communication with everybody. Just having all 5 people on the floor, or all 15 guys in the fold, and I think just having those conversations is going to be good for us going forward. Especially if we get it out the way right now. We don't have to look to January or All Star break and be like 'oh this sh*t ain't working', we can get it all out the way right now and be like, this is what it's going to look like and this is how we should attack it.''

On continuity versus adjustment: ''It's a fun process, it's not like we're getting guys playing that don't know how to play, these guys know how to fit in and these guys have talent. Dyson's a really smart player that can think the game ahead, so he'll be fine. Zion is a really really talented player that can score, so I think we'll be fine.''

Next goals after playoff showing: ''Championship. I don't think it's... if I sat up here and tell you 'second round', I think Willie would give me a call after I finished. Championship. We have the guys to do it, all we have to do is put the work in and continue to learn. But we care about it enough to come in here and keep working, keep listening, and ultimately we wanna win that championship, you know?''

Anticipation and excitement for this season: ''I'm happy to be here. There's been media days where I've been just trying to get through, but I'm happy to be here and be with my teammates. They make it fun to be around and laugh and joke and talk about basketball and families. I'm looking forward to just having fun with my teammates and just getting to know about their fams, how they like to play, just everything.''

CJ's extension: ''He's got a lot of money, don't he? He can pick up a lot of tabs. [other extensions and BI being the first guy to pledge that loyalty] S'a good place to be. They see what's going on, how we bond with each other, how we play on the floor, and it's kind of unheard of in the league to have 14, 15 guys who just care about each other and believe in each other and actually want to know about each other. It's turned the corner, it's pretty different here. Every time I walk in the building I know I can walk up and shake anybody's hand, I can hug anybody. That's fun to have.''

Relationship with Coach Green: ''It's good, you know, he knows my heart, he knows my mind, he knows where I want to go in life, what I want to do in basketball. This is really good, I can hit him on anything, he can hit me on anything, we continue to build, we continue to learn each other and it's been really good so far.''

On Herb's work ethic: ''Herb inspired me. Every time I come in the gym I wish I could be on the floor as much as he does. Every time I come in he's already shooting on the shooting floor wiht Fred Vinson, getting his routine. He knows his body, even him being so young (note: Herb Jones is barely a year younger than BI), just hearing the message that 'I've gotta go home and get some sleep', 'I've gotta go home so I can be up early in the morning', that's different. Especially with him just coming into the league, this being his sophomore year. I didn't have a rookie year like his, like Trey Murphy's, so for him to continue to get better, I forget he's a second year player right now so. It's inspiring to me.''

Thoughts on the Suns playoff series: ''I haven't though about it none. Nah, I have. I mean it was fun, it showed... it was my first time in playoffs so I got a good feel for it, there were more stakes on the line, just having every seat filled in the Smoothie King Centre was like oh wow. It brung my energy, I was super locked in just trying to focus on winning basketball games and I got a chance to experience it. I know the routine that it takes, night in and night out, to be consistent with what I'm doing, so that's the fun part. I got the experience and I can go back and write things down and remember how that feeling felt.''

First offseason where there's been continuity in teammates, coaching staff, etc. How does that help?
    : ''It makes me more comfortable to tap on the guy and tell him exactly what he needs to hear or what I'm feeling. It makes the organisation better from a standpoint of, we can get more out of guys, we trust each other a lot more from playing with each other last season, going into a few summer workouts and talking to coach - we trusted each other a lot more. Of course we expect a lot more out of each other, and we can talk through those things.''

Getting back the C&S 3 last season towards the end, emphasis on it this year with Zion being back: ''Been doing your research... I mean, that's going to be very important, being able to shoot the basketball behind the 3, being able to catch and shoot and play faster. But I plan on just trying to be adaptable, being able to play with all the guys and being effective in everywhere that I can. Every night calls for something different so if it's catch and shoot one night, midrange another, another night driving to the basket, if I have to be on the best player or I have to be the low man to be the best help, that's what I'm prepared for.''

Ultimate expectations for Zion's reintroduction for the team: ''I don't have any expectations. I think when you go in with expectations you lose patience and I know throughout Zion coming back and getting a feel for the game we have to be patient with him getting back into the groove of things and helping him along the way. It was the same thing when CJ came, we had to figure out how to work with each other. That happened pretty fast but it's going to be something we continue to work with, you know, he signed the contract to be here for a while, CJ's going to be here for a while, so we'll figure it out.''

Really good interview from BI, basically saying all the things you want to hear.

Being a fan through all the thick and thin and to see the team as it stands today

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Being a fan through all the thick and thin and to see the team as it stands today

LMAO - You think the 'thin' is over. Dont count your chickens just yet. One thing always holds true, and that is this franchise's ability to underachieve.

Just temper that excitement for now
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    LMAO - You think the 'thin' is over. Dont count your chickens just yet. One thing always holds true, and that is this franchise's ability to underachieve.

Hope springs eternal. Not going to temper my expectations. Expect top 6 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

I expect the worst and hope for the best

I'm not deluded into how reality will probably play out

The potential of this team is... absurd. And more than passable on defense with Herb, Trey, Jose, and "Zvelte Zion"... Offenses won't be able to exploit him as badly with him carrying less mass that requires less monetum to get moving.

Herb looks to be rounding out to be the type of player every single team would want in their starting 5... I am detecting Kobe/MJ levels of OCD perfectionistic work ethic, combined with a body and coach's-son-IQ that is telling me this kid expects to be first team all defense every year.

If Pelicans end up with 1-3 seed, Zion WILL win MVP... not a homer statement, because his stats and efficiency will be absolutely historically ungodly if that occurs, and voter fatigue for Giannis and Jokic will be real. His competition will be Luka, Curry, Embiid, and Kawhi. But he will emerge victorious!

Peak hype activated. Zero interest in tempering it. Tempered hype is boring and faaaar less fun; I save my tempered expectations for equities portfolios and business opportunities were capital is on the line.The only purpose of sports is fun. Maintaining "I told you so" credibility in the face of potential injuries is easy and holds zero value. Fight me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    The potential of this team is... absurd. And more than passable on defense with Herb, Trey, Jose, and "Zvelte Zion"... Offenses won't be able to exploit him as badly with him carrying less mass that requires less monetum to get moving.

Herb looks to be rounding out to be the type of player every single team would want in their starting 5... I am detecting Kobe/MJ levels of OCD perfectionistic work ethic, combined with a body and coach's-son-IQ that is telling me this kid expects to be first team all defense every year.

If Pelicans end up with 1-3 seed, Zion WILL win MVP... not a homer statement, because his stats and efficiency will be absolutely historically ungodly if that occurs, and voter fatigue for Giannis and Jokic will be real. His competition will be Luka, Curry, Embiid, and Kawhi. But he will emerge victorious!

Peak hype activated. Zero interest in tempering it. Tempered hype is boring and faaaar less fun; I save my tempered expectations for equities portfolios and business opportunities were capital is on the line.The only purpose of sports is fun. Maintaining "I told you so" credibility in the face of potential injuries is easy and holds zero value. Fight me.
    I'm on board with peak hype. Why are we fans if not to get super hyped when it's warranted?

TIL what a parasocial relationship is

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Because part of why we root for the team is to be right...I guess...

I don't care, really. Go crazy. Get hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nance is a really great interview. Very good to listen to. Between him and CJ we probably have some of the best and clearest communicating players in the league.
    I said last year they could easily pass as McCollum & Nance, attorneys at law…

Thread Information