Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CJ McCollum has agreed to a two-year, $64M extension

Pelicans CJ McCollum has agreed to a two-year, $64M extension

Makes sense to me. Lots of money, not many years. Takes him through to age 34, which is about as far out as you expect him to be this level of player before safely expecting major drop off.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    He is the team leader and helped create the remarkable culture shift that took place last year, great idea to keep him around and foster stability with the good thing we have going.

Well thought of within the NBA Comunnity as evidenced by his NBPA Presidency; if played correctly, CJ will prive to be New Orleans top drawing card. I used to think the best acquisition the team ever made was 'Boogie' **; the Portland trade dwarfs that one. Might be Griff's best move ever.

**Injury Notwithstanding

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Let's roll. Excited to be a new season ticket holder with "the big 3" locked in for the next several years. Throw in the developing young talent and it's gonna be fun.

Perfect. Low years is good

Gotta think Nance is not too far behind.

Great news ahead of the media day. CJ brings experience and an excellent culture to the team.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Ha! 2 years at 64 mil is exactly what Mac floated as the best scenario for CJ's extension.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Ha! 2 years at 64 mil is exactly what Mac floated as the best scenario for CJ's extension.
    Total coincidence!!
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Total coincidence!!
    What coincidence were you floating for Larry Nance?

Haha — they have been talking a lot about something in the 3/35 range. Larry wants 1-2 years. That has been the hang up

Haha — they have been talking a lot about something in the 3/35 range. Larry wants 1-2 years. That has been the hang up
    So Larry wants to improve his value on a short term deal? Guess he thinks hitting the market again at 32 is not good for his value.

And there is the Butler signing too... Wasnt a crazy offseason but they have accomplished pretty much everything they wanted to

Great vibes heading into media day and training camp.

So is Ocean's LeBron the only guy officially on a 2 way now?

I have a feeling the second spot will go to Butler. Obviously there's a plan with EJ as well that they have in place

And there is the Butler signing too... Wasnt a crazy offseason but they have accomplished pretty much everything they wanted to
    Is that just an exhibit 10 for now?

Give him 3 years 39. That will make him sign for 3 years.
    6M more than Maxi Kleber.

This is gonna sound dumb, but one reason the Pels dont feel its necessary to do whatever it takes to keep him around 3 or 4 more years.....Karlo. He could be better than Nance 3 years from now.

Now, I think it still gets done, but it will be a contract the Pels are good with. Karlo coming, ya'll

Also, would you guys do this one:

Heat get: Crowder and Devonte
    Suns get: Jaxson Hayes
    Pels get: Duncan Robinson

What’s left on Duncan’s deal?

Low-key excited about Butler signing. Just a feeling about the guy…

Probably not. Duncan Robinson is a non factor come playoff season. If Maimi can't hide him on defense. I doubt we can.

Miami also has multiple shooters, so they can justify putting in a guy who is a slightly lesser shooter who is a better defender.

I probably wouldnt do it, but if I were to talk myself into it, I would ask: Who can I (more likely) turn into a positive trade asset by next year: Duncan or Devonte? And I just dont see the path to Devonte being a positive asset. Small guard in a league where everyone has guards.

But, if you can showcase Duncan and get him hitting at a high rate off Zion, then I think 10 teams would love to have a big shooter on their team. Thats the only way I would do it - as a buy low candidate whose value I think I could rebuild to trade in a year to 18 months

I’d do it. You get a good fit with Zion, shoring up our bench scoring. Get off of two negative assets, and open up a roster spot. Don’t think Trey would be affected. Maybe in shot, but would still be on the floor a good bit. But now you have a good reason to keep Dyson glued to the bench when he’s growing pains though unfortunately

Does it feel like there is no realistic trade that moves the needle?

Looking at the roster and names that seem available... Outside of getting a nice vet sixth PG... Or another shooter(Bojan Bogdanović was somebody that piqued my interest)... Or having an insurance for Jonas.

I'm really afraid Jonas is gonna run into the ground and sustain an injury. We don't have the shooting results to play primary small ball.

I don't really see anything worth it at the moment.

Thread Information