Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: On swapping for Lakers' draft spot...

Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    On the Lakers 2024 or 2025 pick option, assuming high school kids can choose NBA option in 2024...the more I think about it, it's obvious the double draft in 2024 will make that the route we almost MUST take. Because no matter where the Lakers' slot is for 2024...it is actually twice as good as it first appears to be. If it's an 8 slot, it actually translates to what is a normal 4 slot, given the added talent available to be picked. If it's a 16 slot, it's actually an 8 slot...etc...Gonna be really hard to come up with a scenario, whereby we turn down that 2024 slot from the Lakers...assuming those wild & crazy high school kids come rolling into the NBA in 2024.
    The good thing is if the "double draft" gets delayed a year due to negotiations, we have the option to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The good thing is if the "double draft" gets delayed a year due to negotiations, we have the option to wait.
    For sure and good point. But, I just can't believe the NBA is floating this "end of one & done" out there, unless it's a done deal. Individual teams MUST be told what the situation will be...so they can adjust their future trading...accordingly, and they MUST know when this "double draft" will actually arrive. Gotta feelin' all NBA teams have been informed it's coming in 2024...but then...I've been wrong before, so who knows.

Does LeBron retiring play a factor in this?

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    Does LeBron retiring play a factor in this?
    Don't see that as a factor where we're concerned. LJ has 2 more years with Lakers, then who knows what he does with Bronny arriving in the NBA for 2024-25 season. I assume we'll take the Lakers' 2024 draft pick if it is a double draft as most think it will be. If 2024 is not a double draft for some reason...all bets are off...as we might well decide to take the Lakers' 2025 draft slot...because there is no tellin' where Lebron will end up playing the 2024-25 season...along with Bronny. Lakers could have a total meltdown in 2024-25...if Lebron takes his (And Bronny's) talent elsewhere. Then, that draft slot could end up being a very tasty one indeed.

But...I could be totally wrong about everything...and I'm starting to get dizzy again...just thinking about it.

Am I crazy to imagine a world where Herb develops into a poor man's Kawhi? It's more likely he tops out as a better version of Bruce Bowen though, I am am aware.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Crazy? No

A fan who has bias and wants that to happen, so sees it as far more likely than a non fan would? Yes
    @mcnamara247

Here’s my thing on Herb —- does anyone believe he is a starter on this team in two years? I mean, if Trey or Daniels (or both) hit anything close to their ceiling, I don’t see how he is. And my fear is that his contract comes up and he sees himself as a starter and his basketball reference page says he is a starter, but he simply won’t be on the best version of this team IMO.

He will be a great guy to stagger when Zion is out but their fit together on offense will be clumsy at best. Trey will easily be a better fit on that end and eventually will be 90 plus percent of Herb on the other end. I think Herb and Jonas are the most likely regression candidates this year, not because they will actually be worse players in a vacuum but because you are inserting a very specific type of player into a high usage role and they won’t fit as well with him in there as they will in lineups without him

While things are slow, I have a quick question that folks may want to ignore but here goes. Have to make a fairly significant wager next week on the following scenario, so please, any opinions would be very appreciated.

When the NBA finally does away with "one & done", if you take the top 30 recruits that year coming out of high school based on rankings of 247 Composite...how many of those kids will choose to bypass college & one way or the other, pursue a career with the NBA ? Argument got started with ...how big an effect (affect?) will the end of one & done have on the college game, recruiting wise? Ended with agreement by all 5 of my crew to throw a decent sum of money in a pile...and winner takes all. Closest to right number takes the cheese. Just a thought experiment...but I'm guessing some of you folks enjoy those things. I have pretty much decided on my own "number" but there may be some angle I haven't thought of so...feel free to think...or overthink (as some of you folks are subject to do) and give me your opinions. Please...serious answers only...MONEY IS INVOLVED !!!

My current opinion is...25...which should be just about all the 5* rated recruits coming out of high school that year.
    Last edited by The Dud; 09-24-2022 at 10:19 AM.

Way less than that. Now…if you are asking “how many will go pro” I believe 25 could be the right number. But I would say 10-15 enter the draft. I think what we will see is more and more leagues offering bigger dollars and an opportunity to showcase themselves for an even higher spot in the draft

So, a guy who is projected in the 20s in a mock could go pro and likely get a nice little guaranteed deal or could go take one million to play in say the G League or in Europe, etc and bet on himself that he will show out and be a top 5-10 pick the next year. I think more people than you will believe will go that route

The bet we have is...how many of the top 30 rated recruits will NOT attend college. We tried to keep it simple.

By the way, another quickie...is there much of a chance a 3rd 2-way contract will be OK'd by the NBA before the one & done is ended? I think I'll probably be the high man on our "guesses"...so a 3rd 2-way for each team, couldn't hurt my chances.
    Last edited by The Dud; 09-24-2022 at 10:56 AM.

If that is the exact language of the bet, I think that answer will be around 25 about 2 or 3 years after the rule changes

Herb probably isn’t starting but he could be in the finishing 5. Dyson-Zion-Ingram-Herb-Trey is awesome. Obviously can’t do that against every team but I hope that’s our “death lineup” in a few years. I’m also of the mind that JV isn’t here after his contract (if not sooner) and we sign a C for around the MLE.
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Here’s my thing on Herb —- does anyone believe he is a starter on this team in two years? I mean, if Trey or Daniels (or both) hit anything close to their ceiling, I don’t see how he is. And my fear is that his contract comes up and he sees himself as a starter and his basketball reference page says he is a starter, but he simply won’t be on the best version of this team IMO.

He will be a great guy to stagger when Zion is out but their fit together on offense will be clumsy at best. Trey will easily be a better fit on that end and eventually will be 90 plus percent of Herb on the other end. I think Herb and Jonas are the most likely regression candidates this year, not because they will actually be worse players in a vacuum but because you are inserting a very specific type of player into a high usage role and they won’t fit as well with him in there as they will in lineups without him
    Interesting take...think I'll just pass on this one other than to say...if Trey is 90 plus percent of Herb on the defensive end, the Pels are gonna be in pretty good shape.

Thread Information