Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which Trade Would You Do?

And that is why deals aren’t getting done right now. Pels don’t want to give up a first and seconds don’t excite anybody. Therefore…stalemate
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And that is why deals aren’t getting done right now. Pels don’t want to give up a first and seconds don’t excite anybody. Therefore…stalemate
    Gotcha. And they shouldn't for borderline players or just to create a roster spot. There should be no desperation.

He has been trying to make a 2 for 1 for over a month now. But only if its at the right cost. Its a weird place to be, because a 1st is too much and multiple 2nds is too little. If Jax or Kira had some more value, or if Graham's deal had one less year on it, a deal could work with the 2nds, but sadly none of those things are reality.

The Franchise
    You don’t think a top 20 protected pick would get the job done especially with a supposed dealer draft class? To me, if this will get you close to the top then the earlier you get these guys in the better for chemistry. I personally don’t think anything will happen till the trade deadline.

A top 20 protected first has about as much appeal as two seconds. To me, pick swaps with more mild protection are a better middle ground for both sides.

The downside of giving up a first - even a top 20 protected one - is the Stepien rule. It gives the Pels less ammo to gather up a bunch of picks, should the right guy become free. But if you say give up the Bucks 2026 swap rights, you have lost no first round ammo

4 or 5. They accomplish a number of goals:
    1.) Get Jax off this team. I feel the same way about him as I did about Lonzo going into his last year with us. Fine young player who will make it work somewhere else.
    2.) Dont give up any real assets
    3.) Dont add another player who needs the ball
    4.) Get C depth
    Welcome to be here

That’s fair. Although the one difference I see is Jax genuinely likes his teammates. But yeah, there are some similarities- especially the disconnect between the two parties with regard to idea of his value. And even if he proves he is more valuable on the court, they still worry about his maturity with this impressionable team. He would have to prove them wrong in both areas

Mac, this probably deserves its own thread, but what do you think about potential CBA changes - namely no hard cap, draft age eligibility, and mental health designations?

I have no idea because there are some great ideas out there, but since it is collectively bargained, we will probably only see modest changes. Everyone is making a ton of money, with a lot more coming in. When that is the case, you have almost no chance of strike or lockout but you won’t have big changes either

They will allow HS kids back in and do some other small stuff, but nothing seismic that would prevent future superteams, level out the playing field more, etc
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 09-19-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Cool, like the sound of that. It seems to be a big win-win right now, so makes sense
    Thanks

Also, option 4 or 5 would be the trade I would make and make the most sense. It just always comes back to "where are the minutes going to be distributed"? And that halts a lot of potential trades/free agents.
    Last edited by BasedPelican; 09-19-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Lets say, HYPOTHETICALLY, that Griff really wanted to do a 2-for-1 because he wanted to give someone a NG contract, while giving the second two-way to EJ. Now, lets say these were the current possible trade frameworks sitting on his desk. Which would you do, if any?

1. Devonte Graham, Jaxson Hayes, and two 2nds for Doug McDermott (2/27.5 left on contract)

2. Graham, Hayes, and 2026 pick swap option from Bucks for Malik Beasley (15.5 this year, Team Option for 16.5 next year)

3. Graham, Hayes, 2024 lotto protected 1st (that becomes 2025 lotto protected, and then two 2nds) for Bojan Bogdanovic (expiring 19 mil)

4. Hayes and Naji for Mason Plumlee (expiring 9 mil) and a 2nd

5 Temple and Hayes (with Hayes going to 3rd team) for Kelly Olynyk (12.8 this year, partial guarantee of 3 mil next year)
    So are #3 and #5 no longer potential options ?

5 is, but yep 3 is gone

Jazz gave Griff every chance but he isn’t parting with any real assets yet for mercenaries who will slightly move the needle. If Graham were an expiring, so many options would be on the table. Sadly, though, he isn’t

5 is, but yep 3 is gone

Jazz gave Griff every chance but he isn’t parting with any real assets yet for mercenaries who will slightly move the needle. If Graham were an expiring, so many options would be on the table. Sadly, though, he isn’t
    Figured Graham and Hayes would be better for Jazz if only Graham had a year less on his deal.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    5 is, but yep 3 is gone

You think us and jazz have more conversations about #5?

Jazz must have a lot of irons in the fire. It appears they may have 18 guaranteed contracts currently (after the Pistons deal).

When you simultaneously remember and try to process how on Earth Graham could have 2 and a bit guaranteed years left (and having bought the special privelige with a 1st)

Truly feels like a legacy Dell move
    Last edited by AusPel; 09-22-2022 at 01:23 PM.

The difference between Dell and Griff is that Griff had a mountain to start with. They made equally boneheaded moves, but Griff had a much, much, much larger margin of error.

Otherwise, two pretty similar decision makers IMO. Both not liked very much by their coworkers or other deal makers

Sounds like the plan is to give Trey and DD every chance to be a big part of the rotation early. And if they falter, then they will get more aggressive looking for a trade for a perimeter threat. But they arent giving up a real asset now to get one because of those two. And I couldnt agree more with that decision.

Now, what will Willie do? Will he trust in the young guys and go through the growing pains or will he go to a more known guy like Temple or Naji when the young guys struggle? I actually have less faith in Willie in this situation that Griff

The difference between Dell and Griff is that Griff had a mountain to start with. They made equally boneheaded moves, but Griff had a much, much, much larger margin of error.

Otherwise, two pretty similar decision makers IMO. Both not liked very much by their coworkers or other deal makers
    What implications does not being liked by other deal makers have? Detrimental business wise, or just personal?

Its not the end of the world, just not ideal. A tiebreaker loss at worst. But its no coincidence you see a lot of the same deal makers working with each other time and time again

Sounds like the plan is to give Trey and DD every chance to be a big part of the rotation early. And if they falter, then they will get more aggressive looking for a trade for a perimeter threat. But they arent giving up a real asset now to get one because of those two. And I couldnt agree more with that decision.

Now, what will Willie do? Will he trust in the young guys and go through the growing pains or will he go to a more known guy like Temple or Naji when the young guys struggle? I actually have less faith in Willie in this situation that Griff
    Does that change the fact that Griffin is trying to open a roster spot by doing a 2 for 1 deal or would you expect they will release Seabron from the 2-way and sign Butler?

They will do a 2 for 1 if one presents itself and doesn’t require real draft capital. But with teams seeing Graham as a big negative, I can’t see that happening. As for the two ways, I would expect those to be fluid all year, with the Pels wanting to somehow keep the current two, EJ, and Butler all in the fold

But let’s be honest — what are the odds of any of those 4 actually doing anything of value for this franchise. Especially when you consider all the high pedigree young guys already on the team and all the future picks they have?

They will do a 2 for 1 if one presents itself and doesn’t require real draft capital. But with teams seeing Graham as a big negative, I can’t see that happening. As for the two ways, I would expect those to be fluid all year, with the Pels wanting to somehow keep the current two, EJ, and Butler all in the fold

But let’s be honest — what are the odds of any of those 4 actually doing anything of value for this franchise. Especially when you consider all the high pedigree young guys already on the team and all the future picks they have?
    Very low odds, but it is a matter of hoping to find lightning in a bottle (i.e. someone like Jose) that can play a role in the future.

Thoughts on picking up Sammy gelfand?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Thoughts on picking up Sammy gelfand?
    JMO...I luv those kinda guys and Green obviously recognizes the value he can bring to the team.

Thread Information