Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2022-2023 Pelicans Schedule Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

This is extremely good, I am a big fan of this promo
    I can?t help but get sum after that. Got my 12 game plan.

This is extremely good, I am a big fan of this promo
    Pels social media team is GOAT level. Holy ******** that's amazing.

There it is. There is the PROOF Zion is frustrated with this organization.

What were they thinking?? smdh pelicans

Is that a body double playing the piano? Can’t tell.

Just looking over some of the schedules, be prepared for Minnesota being hailed as a new western power or complete disaster early in the season. Only 3 road games in the first 3 weeks, and 5 of their first 7 games are against OKC and San Antonio.

Once again, the Lakers leave California only 3 times the first month of play.

Dallas only has 5 road games in the first month and only 1 road b2b.

Can someone explain to me if the song means anything? Or is the joke just that Griffin is playing the piano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    Is that a body double playing the piano? Can’t tell.
    Yes. Griff cannot play the piano. That's part of the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    Can someone explain to me if the song means anything? Or is the joke just that Griffin is playing the piano.
    The song has minor relevance. It is the song "Getcha Some", which they played right before tip-off last year. It is apropos because they're trying to sell tickets and encourage fans to get some tickets. Get it!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Just looking over some of the schedules, be prepared for Minnesota being hailed as a new western power or complete disaster early in the season. Only 3 road games in the first 3 weeks, and 5 of their first 7 games are against OKC and San Antonio.

Once again, the Lakers leave California only 3 times the first month of play.

Dallas only has 5 road games in the first month and only 1 road b2b.
    Meanwhile the Pels start off with a pretty difficult stretch, all things considered, yet again
    Basketball.

Meanwhile the Pels start off with a pretty difficult stretch, all things considered, yet again
    I'd argue it's better to have the difficult match-ups early

Should injuries kick in later on (more likely than earlier), better to have the easier battles towards the back end of the season

Not only that, but the bad teams are better early in the season. Remember that awful Sixers team that started 3-0? Or the Thunder and Magic, who seem to start decent and then finish with 25 wins

Ideally, you want the good teams who are going through changes early. A team like Minny. Good teams with continuity are the ones you wanna avoid. And save the bad teams for later in the year when you have some injuries but they are actively trying to lose
    @mcnamara247

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Wait, what? He does play the piano, and I thought that's the whole point. It's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the rumor that he brought his keyboard to play for Zion in at attempt to "bond" with him. See story below.

https://www.bardown.com/zion-hilario...fort-1.1699264

Edit - ok I rewatched and it's clear that he's not playing the song (which is kinda disappointing, since he does in fact play, but I guess I should be happy that he's spending his time on other things ) Either way it's a killer video - and definitely mocking the Zion keyboard serenade rumor.
    Last edited by neworleanshoo; 08-19-2022 at 08:18 AM.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Wait, what? He does play the piano, and I thought that's the whole point. It's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the rumor that he brought his keyboard to play for Zion in at attempt to "bond" with him. See story below.

https://www.bardown.com/zion-hilario...fort-1.1699264

Edit - ok I rewatched and it's clear that he's not playing the song (which is kinda disappointing, since he does in fact play, but I guess I should be happy that he's spending his time on other things ) Either way it's a killer video - and definitely mocking the Zion keyboard serenade rumor.
    Pretty sure David Griffin has said that he does not know how to play piano.

I believe there was reporting that he brought a keyboard to the bubble, but at this point, I don't know what to believe. All I know is that both Griff and Zion deny the "Griffin played piano for Zion in an effort to bond with Zion" story. I tend to believe them but I think it wasn't made up by Andrew Lopez (or his sauces) out of whole cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I'd argue it's better to have the difficult match-ups early

Should injuries kick in later on (more likely than earlier), better to have the easier battles towards the back end of the season
    I'd be more inclined to agree if we didn't always have a key player(s) out and start like 1-10 every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I'd be more inclined to agree if we didn't always have a key player(s) out and start like 1-10 every year.
    Yeah it would be nice to have a season where we didn't have to dig ourselves out of a massive hole around Christmas time.

Pretty sure David Griffin has said that he does not know how to play piano.

I believe there was reporting that he brought a keyboard to the bubble, but at this point, I don't know what to believe. All I know is that both Griff and Zion deny the "Griffin played piano for Zion in an effort to bond with Zion" story. I tend to believe them but I think it wasn't made up by Andrew Lopez (or his sauces) out of whole cloth.
    Yes Griff literally stated he doesn?t know how to play piano. And Christian Clark was the one that ran the piano story. Not Lopez.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    How you begin is largely irrelevant

Akin to how the finishing 5 is way more important than the starting 5
    Last edited by AusPel; 08-19-2022 at 10:31 PM.

The song has minor relevance. It is the song "Getcha Some", which they played right before tip-off last year. It is apropos because they're trying to sell tickets and encourage fans to get some tickets. Get it!?!?

What do you mean Griff. can?t play the piano? Did you just watch the video. That was him. Elton John wishes he was that talented like Griff.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-21-2022 at 01:17 PM.

Probably not, but for a basketball fan what is the bigger joke....

Griff can't play the piano.

or

Zion will play 72+ games this season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Probably not, but for a basketball fan what is the bigger joke....

Griff can't play the piano.

or

Zion will play 72+ games this season.

You do realize many players don't play that many games, right? In six seasons, only in his rookie season has Brandon Ingram played in more than 72 games. The most games he's played besides that one season is 62.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    You do realize many players don't play that many games, right? In six seasons, only in his rookie season has Brandon Ingram played in more than 72 games. The most games he's played besides that one season is 62.
    We have all been told that this fellow is a 'generational talent'.....that he will 're-define the game'... and that his 'gravitational pull' when make everyone on his team better. I got news for you: "not if he can't get on the court".

To this point, the bronzed bust that has already been prematurely ordered by the folks in Springfield is not kind of bust some folks think about when they consider # 1. Now it's up to # 1 to re-define himself. It will be interesting to see if he does.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    How you begin is largely irrelevant

Akin to how the finishing 5 is way more important than the starting 5
    Yeah, we all know that your final record isn't dependent on what happens in the first 15 games - we started last season 2-12 and went 34-42 after that and ended up in the playoffs so anyone who didn't know that before has no excuse now - but it still sucks to just lose a ton to start the year. Kills off a lot of fan excitement, gives the media a reason to put the target back on your head, prompts all the rumours about disgruntled players, and it means that every win after that point isn't a 'win' but just a 'step forward'. Sucks.

Season Ticket Holder
    We have all been told that this fellow is a 'generational talent'.....that he will 're-define the game'... and that his 'gravitational pull' when make everyone on his team better. I got news for you: "not if he can't get on the court".

To this point, the bronzed bust that has already been prematurely ordered by the folks in Springfield is not kind of bust some folks think about when they consider # 1. Now it's up to # 1 to re-define himself. It will be interesting to see if he does.
    Why are you like this? Maybe you need to pick a new hobby that doesn't make you so unhappy.

Yeah, we all know that your final record isn't dependent on what happens in the first 15 games - we started last season 2-12 and went 34-42 after that and ended up in the playoffs so anyone who didn't know that before has no excuse now - but it still sucks to just lose a ton to start the year. Kills off a lot of fan excitement, gives the media a reason to put the target back on your head, prompts all the rumours about disgruntled players, and it means that every win after that point isn't a 'win' but just a 'step forward'. Sucks.
    I don't think there's much/any difference between starting say 6-4 or 4-6, but at extreme levels it certainly matters...the downside as you mention, but also the momentum that would be generated if we came out the blocks 12-2 would also be meaningful.

Why are you like this? Maybe you need to pick a new hobby that doesn't make you so unhappy.
    I'm not unhappy at all. I'm just a realist who refuses to close his eyes to history. Also, I wish # 1 well, but so far his 'sales pitch' has been lacking.

And, you?

Further, do you think # 1 has played up to his rookie contract ($44,000.000.00+ / 4 years)? If you do, I'd like to work in your employ; where can I apply?

Season Ticket Holder
    I'm not unhappy at all. I'm just a realist who refuses to close his eyes to history. Also, I wish # 1 well, but so far his 'sales pitch' has been lacking.

And, you?

Further, do you think # 1 has played up to his rookie contract ($44,000.000.00+ / 4 years)? If you do, I'd like to work in your employ; where can I apply?
    You don't sound very happy. You sound angry and frustrated. You call yourself a realist, but all pessimists say that. I think you need to look inward and see what makes you happy and move towards that. This basketball thing might be too much for your nerves. Heck, you can't even bring yourself to type the words "ZION WILLIAMSON." You're relegated to solely refer to him as a jersey number to dehumanize him. Why do you think you can't bring yourself to view him as a human being? Its all very odd, but mostly angry.

As for me, I am very excited to see how the team does with Zion Williamson. He is real fun to watch play basketball.
    Last edited by Upper Decker; 08-22-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Thread Information