Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Color Graham Gone

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Opposite of what we need. We need to create a roster spot, not add a player.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Luckily, AD got hurt
    But is it luck when the sun rises?

You are lying through your teeth if you tell me you would not do this

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2cvlllqq

Why would we want NAW back?

Quote Originally Posted by ULsaint View Post
    Why would we want NAW back?
    Only positive would be to create a roster spot if needed at some point.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'm resigning myself to the idea we will be stuck with Graham for another year. I am expecting him to be better next year because he underperformed last year, but also expecting to see some DNP next to his name. CJ and Jose are firmly entrenched as our top 2 point guards, plus Kira and Dyson battling for minutes, Graham should have to prove himself to see the floor.

Not the worst scenario. He can improve his stock this season or if not, becomes easier to unload with only a little over a season of guaranteed money remaining after this season.

The Franchise

I’d love this. Save us a couple million and frees up a roster spot even if he sits the bench. I believe he’s an expiring too, so more money coming off the cap next year. He looks like a good character guy and gets along with everyone so bring him back.

Why would they accept that?

This is why I don’t necessarily think Graham has to go. He can and has been Seth Curry lite. He just needs to be in the right situation

I know we’re all down on DG because he shot poorly for most of last season, but if he simply reverts back to the norm of 42% on a high volume of catch and shoot threes, he is an extremely valuable regular season role player. He’s probably a liability in the playoffs because of his size, but that really doesn’t matter as much in the regular season. Last seasons 39% catch and shoot was more likely than not an outlier in DG’s career

What I think probably happens is DG gets the initial run as the backup SG off the bench until Kira is healthy, and then they battle it out for that spot. Whoever loses gets moved at the deadline.

The issue isn’t his play, it’s his contract. The player you described, who MIGHT have some value in the regular season as a backup 2 is fine on a 1 yr/ 3-5 mil deal. The issue is the years and money left. And that’s before we even discuss what was given up for him. But that’s already gone. The Graham issue is a contract issue, no more, no less
    @mcnamara247

The issue isn’t his play, it’s his contract. The player you described, who MIGHT have some value in the regular season as a backup 2 is fine on a 1 yr/ 3-5 mil deal. The issue is the years and money left. And that’s before we even discuss what was given up for him. But that’s already gone. The Graham issue is a contract issue, no more, no less
    I'm in no way advocating for his contract or for his future on this team, but he will be on this team at the start of next season, more likely than not, so it's important to discuss his value. The Graham issue may be the contract for you, but you're na?ve if you think that's what the issue is for the majority of the fanbase. He does have value to this team at the start of the year while Dyson adjusts and Kira rehabs. All bets are off after that.

I just think it'll be interesting to see how the tide turns if he comes out of the gate shooting 44% from 3 and shooting wide open shots through the first month next to Zion.

Yeah, I disagree. If he was on a 1 yr minimum, the fan base either wouldnt care one way or the other about him or be positive about him - "Imagine if he can get back to his old catch and shoot percentage. Low risk, high reward!" would be the battle cry

He is disliked purely for his past cost and his current/future cost. He has more potential impact than say Willy, but Willy is loved much more. Why? Because he cost nothing to acquire and would cost nothing to dump

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post

This is why I don’t necessarily think Graham has to go. He can and has been Seth Curry lite. He just needs to be in the right situation
    According to that chart we should never have let Lonzo go. I'm not sure I trust that chart.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    The chart just means Lonzo shot a high % on catch and shoot 3's and also had difficult matchups defensively. It says nothing about effectiveness at defending.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post

What I think probably happens is DG gets the initial run as the backup SG off the bench until Kira is healthy, and then they battle it out for that spot. Whoever loses gets moved at the deadline.
    It will be interesting to see where Dyson fits into the guard rotation. I'm not saying he's the next Herb, but if the dude can play excellent defense, you know Willie will find him some minutes.

Its rare that you see non upperclassmen get regular rotation minutes for playoff caliber teams. That list looks like this:

Scottie Barnes
    Evan Mobley

Lamelo

Tyler Herro

Long story short, it is pretty rare. Even last year, Trey was an upperclassman and who knows what his minutes would have been like if Zion was getting 34 a game. Even without Zion, he didnt become a regular part of the rotation until March 9th. And he is two full years older than Dyson.

Best guess is that he isnt a part of the regular rotation until at least AS break, barring a few injuries

Season Ticket Holder
    Its rare that you see non upperclassmen get regular rotation minutes for playoff caliber teams. That list looks like this:

Scottie Barnes
    Evan Mobley

Lamelo

Tyler Herro

Long story short, it is pretty rare. Even last year, Trey was an upperclassman and who knows what his minutes would have been like if Zion was getting 34 a game. Even without Zion, he didnt become a regular part of the rotation until March 9th. And he is two full years older than Dyson.

Best guess is that he isnt a part of the regular rotation until at least AS break, barring a few injuries
    That makes sense. But Dyson wasn't in college last year. Perhaps Dyson's G League experience makes him a de-facto upper classman. He spent last year doing BASKETBALL and nothing else. I am optimistic. We all know injuries happen. The door will open for Dyson to get minutes. We'll see what he does with those minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    That makes sense. But Dyson wasn't in college last year. Perhaps Dyson's G League experience makes him a de-facto upper classman. He spent last year doing BASKETBALL and nothing else. I am optimistic. We all know injuries happen. The door will open for Dyson to get minutes. We'll see what he does with those minutes.
    He is also going to an already good team, which most lotto picks do not. I could see him having a Ziaire Williams season where the offensive role is super diminished and he can just focus on a few things. Ziaire Williams with plus defense and plus passing would be a very nice 9th man on this team, with the potential for better

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    He will get minutes. That is different from being a regular part of the rotation. I can see a Kuminga type rookie year. Basically garbage minutes through December. Then, in Januarry, started getting consistent minutes. On the outside, looking in, of the playoff rotation. But then, this offseason, they were fine losing an Otto Porter because he is now ready to step in full time

Thread Information