Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guess CJ's Extension

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Guess CJ's Extension

This team is making sexy eyes at the Luxury Tax down on the other end of the Bar. At some point the Pels are going to get the moxie to not only approach the Luxury Tax, but see if they can leave the club to engage in something short and fun or long and meaningful.

It's obvious the next CJ deal is going to be critical for the Pelicans balancing their books. Harden's next deal is informative not because CJ will get the Harden deal, but because it looks like Harden is leaving money on the table in order to help the 76ers extend a window to contend. My expectation is that CJ will do the same. The last year of CJ's current contract pays him $35m. The Heat signed Kyle Lowry to a three-year, $85 million contract which 12 months later feels like a really bad contract. Chris Paul signed a 4 year / $120,000,000 contract with the Phoenix Suns, including $75,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $30,000,000. That contract, because it's not fully guaranteed and because of how Paul finished the season, feels like a much better deal.

The implications of CJ extension are huge. When it kicks in we'll be paying Zion's max. BI will be up for a super max extension. Herb will need a new contract as well. Trey, Kira, and Jose deals will be on the horizon. Making sure you don't overpay CJ is going to be critical to minimizing how far into the tax you have to go to keep this team together.

So what does the next CJ contract look like?

Low end:4 years for 112 million, average 28aav
    High end:4 years for 140 million, average 35aav
    Expected:4 years for 120 million, average 30aav
    AKA St. David

Quote Originally Posted by Saints63213 View Post
    Low end:4 years for 112 million, average 28aav
    High end:4 years for 140 million, average 35aav
    Expected:4 years for 120 million, average 30aav
    You don't think Griff and CJ can agree that he should not get the same value as Chris Paul? Brunson is 5 years younger than CJ and just signed for 4yrs/$104m. Something closer to that range is what I hope CJ will accept.

CJ is a VP of the player's association, just like CP3 is. There's no universe where CJ lets himself get fleeced. He'll be extended for $30m per year at minimum and very probably more - the defining factor to me will be the years. He's 30 now and will be 32 when his deal ends - nearly 33, in fact. So I would quite like it if we could get something like a 2 or 3 year deal, rather than a 4. If it's 3, I would love if that third year was an option for the team but I am also aware that will just not happen.

So yeah something like 3yrs, $100m seems like something I'd view as both plausible and not too horrid. I'd be very concerned that, with a small score-first guard, putting big money on for years after that would be troubling. Even at 35 he'll probably be significantly worse than he is today but at least then he'd be a big expiring and if he wasn't willing to take a pay cut at that point you could consider moving him.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    CJ is a VP of the player's association, just like CP3 is. There's no universe where CJ lets himself get fleeced. He'll be extended for $30m per year at minimum and very probably more - the defining factor to me will be the years. He's 30 now and will be 32 when his deal ends - nearly 33, in fact. So I would quite like it if we could get something like a 2 or 3 year deal, rather than a 4. If it's 3, I would love if that third year was an option for the team but I am also aware that will just not happen.

So yeah something like 3yrs, $100m seems like something I'd view as both plausible and not too horrid. I'd be very concerned that, with a small score-first guard, putting big money on for years after that would be troubling. Even at 35 he'll probably be significantly worse than he is today but at least then he'd be a big expiring and if he wasn't willing to take a pay cut at that point you could consider moving him.
    Chris Paul signed a 4 year / $120,000,000 contract with the Phoenix Suns, that only included $75,000,000 guaranteed. I’m not sure why CJ would expect more than that or consider anything less to be getting fleeced. He’s not on CP3’s level.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Chris Paul signed a 4 year / $120,000,000 contract with the Phoenix Suns, that only included $75,000,000 guaranteed. I’m not sure why CJ would expect more than that or consider anything less to be getting fleeced. He’s not on CP3’s level.
    He's also not 37 and he doesn't have the same injury history.

He is going to want his money.

I think it would be reasonable to give him a 2/64 extension, brining his contract to a total of 4/132 starting this year. That will bring career earnings to about 300 million for CJ and generational wealth for he and his family. And at the end of that contract he will be almost 35. He can hang on for a few more years or walk off into the sunset with a bright future ahead of him, doing whatever he wants to do.

For the Pels, I think limiting the number of years is more important that the dollars. I wouldnt want to ride this contract out and then be faced with maybe having to give him 4 years to keep him. Lock into him now for that 4 years, and in most worlds he is really good for at least the first two and probably the first 3. If he is bad by the time the last year comes, he is a nice expiring and you can move him with that Bucks pick and a pick of your own for a good player.

2/64 extension would be my offer
    @mcnamara247

I think we're gonna regret locking CJ into that kind of money for 2 additional years. I'd wait until next off-season, then negotiate a 2 year extension.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think it would be reasonable to give him a 2/64 extension, brining his contract to a total of 4/132 starting this year. That will bring career earnings to about 300 million for CJ and generational wealth for he and his family. And at the end of that contract he will be almost 35. He can hang on for a few more years or walk off into the sunset with a bright future ahead of him, doing whatever he wants to do.

For the Pels, I think limiting the number of years is more important that the dollars. I wouldnt want to ride this contract out and then be faced with maybe having to give him 4 years to keep him. Lock into him now for that 4 years, and in most worlds he is really good for at least the first two and probably the first 3. If he is bad by the time the last year comes, he is a nice expiring and you can move him with that Bucks pick and a pick of your own for a good player.

2/64 extension would be my offer
    Why the rush to extend him now has been my question this whole time, and I think this is a fair answer. Not sure it convinces me, but it's fair.

Yeah, I am not sure why an extension is needed this year.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    hopefully cheaper than his current per year rate at that age come end of his current contract.

Really good article. Outlines the importance of Griff understanding the hand he's dealt in whether Benson will pay the luxury tax next season. If the Pels can get off to a hot start this year and she can stomach one season in the tax, it would be incredibly helpful for the Pels future cap situation. This would allow us to extend Nance and play more of a wait and see game on Jax.

I have gone back and fourth on whether Jax is viable on this team long term, but I believe that regardless of what you think about him or his game, the best thing for this team long term is if he takes a major leap this season. From an asset perspective alone, that would open a ton of doors for us, not even getting into his possible future on this team specifically.

Of course it is better if he gets better, from an asset perspective. I don’t think anybody would debate the other side of that. But that is outside of the brass control. All then can control is whether they work hard to extend him or not. And they had preliminary talks but the two sides were so far apart that they didn’t even bother reapproaching the convo. B

I have spoken about the “second contract” issue for a few years now and history says that the overwhelming most likely way this plays out is that Hayes eventually is a good rotation player for someone, on a value deal. But that team won’t be the Pelicans. The only question is whether they get SOME value in a trade for him

Can't wait for Hayes to be off this team.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Can't wait for Hayes to be off this team.
    Why? If we get something for him, fine. But I do not particularly see him as a problem currently.

It is so obvious how the Hayes thing will play out. He is going to be a good player that has some great moments in the future. It will come up 6-8 times a year as some noob user and/or some troll can’t believe we let him go. Enjoy this time now, because that will be even more annoying than having Hayes and being disappointed by him

It is so obvious how the Hayes thing will play out. He is going to be a good player that has some great moments in the future. It will come up 6-8 times a year as some noob user and/or some troll can’t believe we let him go. Enjoy this time now, because that will be even more annoying than having Hayes and being disappointed by him
    I just don't understand this because we seen these types of scenarios before. I can understand for newer fans, but for folks that been following this team for a while I just don't get how you can think like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why? If we get something for him, fine. But I do not particularly see him as a problem currently.
    Just tired of how he plays basketball and how he approaches this sport. It makes it even more annoying when folks cape for him and act like just because he does flashy dunks and have "potential" that they get to excuse of ton of his short comings when it's been like 3 years. Just over the excuses.

Just tired of how he plays basketball and how he approaches this sport. It makes it even more annoying when folks cape for him and act like just because he does flashy dunks and have "potential" that they get to excuse of ton of his short comings when it's been like 3 years. Just over the excuses.
    He played OK last year. He will not get those minutes this year (hopefully). However, I would prefer having him on the bench than just giving him away for a heavily protected 2nd or something as useless as that. To me, it all depends on what we would replace him with. Earlier a Hayes for Stewart (Pistons) swap was suggested. That would be a solid swap for the Pels. Or, if dumping him to create a spot for a more useful player makes sense. It appears he will not re-sign with the Pels, but I have no problem using him if needed while we have him.

I just don't understand this because we seen these types of scenarios before. I can understand for newer fans, but for folks that been following this team for a while I just don't get how you can think like this.
    When a team is good, new fans outweigh seasoned fans 10 to 1

So basically Christian Wood?

Look, Jaxson may become Siakam 2.0.....

However, he has never shown anything to make anyone believe that is possible.
    He is now buried on the Pels bench and they can't afford to allocate $$$ for him with this roster.
    Its time to move on, just like it was with Ball.
    The best the Pels can be does not include Jaxson Hayes!
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

The Pelicans drafted Hayes knowing that he was very raw. You're talking about a guy who started playing basketball towards the end of high school and then 1 and done in college. And, he is literally younger than Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado. To think he would be a polished and developed player at this point, is completely unrealistic. I think its true that we will let Hayes go, and then he will be a good NBA player, and then people will regret letting him go. We are basically taking on the development cost for him to go be good somewhere else and let another team reap the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    The Pelicans drafted Hayes knowing that he was very raw. You're talking about a guy who started playing basketball towards the end of high school and then 1 and done in college. And, he is literally younger than Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado. To think he would be a polished and developed player at this point, is completely unrealistic. I think its true that we will let Hayes go, and then he will be a good NBA player, and then people will regret letting him go. We are basically taking on the development cost for him to go be good somewhere else and let another team reap the benefit.
    This would be true if he was really developing, but this guy, three years into a career, still exudes a 'deer in the headlights' aura. That Laker fourth pick in 2019 sures looks bad now.

Major disappointment!!!!!!

...and this is a from a guy who touted JAX as untouchable two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    This would be true if he was really developing, but this guy, three years into a career, still exudes a 'deer in the headlights' aura. That Laker fourth pick in 2019 sures looks bad now.

Major disappointment!!!!!!

...and this is a from a guy who touted JAX as untouchable two years ago.
    He has shown that he has a nice pure stroke for a big man, and impressively fluid athleticism to go with his size. What he hasn't shown is good bball IQ. Maybe he will never have good bball IQ. Or, maybe that is a product of the fact that he is less experienced and younger than our rookies.

Thread Information