Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Young Dudes Ranked

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I dont think Kira is a pure point, and actually think his destiny is to be a secondary attacker in a current Reggie Jackson kind of role. Just taking catch and shoot three's plus getting downhill and putting pressure on the defense. If he could be 2020-21 Reggie Jackson (11 points in 23 minutes, shot 43% from 3, three assists to 1 turnover), I would be over the moon with that. And I do think that is realistic. Those last few games before he went down, he was scoring about 7 points in 12 minutes and the turnovers went away (12 to 1 assist to turnover ratio in his last 7 games)

I really liked what Jose did last season, but I am curious to see how he fares when the opponent knows him and is aware of him. Curious about that for a lot of guys on this team, actually.
    I dig it.

And his size and skillset become so much easier to play alongside all the length we now have.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-03-2022 at 07:13 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Jose is not untouchable. That being said, I love him
    Sure - what he did for a few weeks was fantastic. I am just cautious because I have been watching this league 30+ years and I have seen a lot of fantastic stretch runs to a season by guys who are fresh because they hadn't played much/guys who are hungry because they dont have a guaranteed contract moving forward. Sometimes, the guy becomes Pat Beverly, or in the crazy outlier cases John Starks or Fred Van Vleet. Far more often than not, however, they end up a fringe rotation player.

Curious what you would say Jose's median outcome is and what you think a realistic ceiling looks like
    @mcnamara247

I'm not as optimistic as most seem to be...on Alvarado's future. Once his uniqueness starts to fade...I'm just not sure he won't be a bit "over his head", assuming the Pels try to play him in meaningful situations. Those NBA guys, when they spot a weak link...will zero in...and they usually have no mercy. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but if not...maybe we'll just play him in spots where things might not be quite so "intense"

Quote Originally Posted by Saints63213 View Post
    1. Daniels
    2. Herb
    3. Murphy
    4. EJ
    5. Jose
    6. Kira
    7. Naji
    8. Hayes

Herb's defense will only get better so I feel he is the safest to be productive.
    Herb's defense, relatively speaking, can only improve SO much, since he is starting at such a lofty level. The key to Herb taking the next step to being a REALLY good player...will be the development of his offensive game. Strange as it seems, next year will almost be a "make or break" year for Herb...as far as becoming a REALLY good player. It will be the first year of his basketball career...where he will mostly concentrate...on developing his overall offensive game. Probably the first time in his life...he has concentrated on "offense". Gonna be interesting to see what happens...and I'm quite optimistic.

1. Herb
    2. Daniels
    3. Murphy
    4. Liddell
    5. Alvarado
    6. Hayes
    7. Kira
    8. Marshall

Curious what you would say Jose's median outcome is and what you think a realistic ceiling looks like
    Realistic ceiling? Strong backup point. I don't really imagine him ever being able to start consistently - if he's starting more than spot games here and there at any point in his career I would be surprised. But I think his ceiling is to be a strong backup guard.

Median outcome? Functional rotation backup, may not play on deep teams but won't kill you, for 5-8 years total.

Realistic low end outcome? Not a real NBA player in any consistent way. Fun fan favourite who never sees the floor except in garbage time or dead seasons.
    Basketball.

I think it goes underdiscussed how poor Herb was offensively after a pretty good start. It will be interesting to see which was the outlier - the fast start or the finish after teams started paying a little more attention

Pre All Star Break - 50% from the field, 36% from 3

Post All Star Break - 42% from the field, 30% from 3

Same minutes per game, same points per game. He just basically increased his usage down the stretch with far less efficiency. Went 5-12 from three in the playoffs, taking a full three less per game than he was taking down the stretch of the year despite playing nearly 8 minutes more per game.

Somebody mentioned Thybulle in another thread and he shot 36% from three his rookie year. Since then, 30%, then 31%. Guys dont always just get better. Sometimes the beginning of the career is the outlier. Aminu did this too - shot 32 for 69 from three his first 3 months in the league. Only made 13 more the rest of the year and 30 more the next three years combined. Let that sink in.... 32 for 69 over 35 games, then only makes 43 more over the next 220+ games, shooting 23% on those attempts.

This is what worries me about Herb. I think there is a chance we saw the outlier in his shooting at the beginning of the year and we are expecting it to get better because we think every guy will get better, but some actually go the other way and Herb showed signs of that last year

Herb played an outlier amount of minutes for a rookie. The rookie wall could absolutely be real for him

Sure - what he did for a few weeks was fantastic. I am just cautious because I have been watching this league 30+ years and I have seen a lot of fantastic stretch runs to a season by guys who are fresh because they hadn't played much/guys who are hungry because they dont have a guaranteed contract moving forward. Sometimes, the guy becomes Pat Beverly, or in the crazy outlier cases John Starks or Fred Van Vleet. Far more often than not, however, they end up a fringe rotation player.

Tough to define a ceiling that is purely based on effort. I’d say a lot of it is reliant upon team success and minutes. I think his jumper is real though and I think we see him make a leap to a reliable catch and shoot guy this year

In Jose's defense, he WAS the ACC defensive player of the year. So it's not like he's doing anything new. And I think the current team atmosphere will encourage him to stay a dog. But I get what you guys are saying about how NBA players will study him and prepare for him more than anyone did in college.

I think it goes underdiscussed how poor Herb was offensively after a pretty good start. It will be interesting to see which was the outlier - the fast start or the finish after teams started paying a little more attention

Same minutes per game, same points per game. He just basically increased his usage down the stretch with far less efficiency. Went 5-12 from three in the playoffs, taking a full three less per game than he was taking down the stretch of the year despite playing nearly 8 minutes more per game.

Somebody mentioned Thybulle in another thread and he shot 36% from three his rookie year. Since then, 30%, then 31%. Guys dont always just get better. Sometimes the beginning of the career is the outlier. Aminu did this too - shot 32 for 69 from three his first 3 months in the league. Only made 13 more the rest of the year and 30 more the next three years combined. Let that sink in.... 32 for 69 over 35 games, then only makes 43 more over the next 220+ games, shooting 23% on those attempts.

This is what worries me about Herb. I think there is a chance we saw the outlier in his shooting at the beginning of the year and we are expecting it to get better because we think every guy will get better, but some actually go the other way and Herb showed signs of that last year
    Assuming you have Herb at 33.7% for the year from 3...rest assured he had the best 3-pt shooting year of his basketball life, this past season with the Pels. Herb was a truly horrible 3-pt shooter for his entire life...until this first year with the Pels. He's getting better...

?When NBA players get used to Jose?s style, his uniqueness will fade.?

Jose is an NBA player. This isn?t his final form. Who knows how he will turn out. Maybe we luck out and get a sane Pat Beverly, or perhaps he flakes out. Who knows, just enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 07-03-2022 at 08:41 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I think it's fair to speculate about this, and I also understand why you split the season by All-star break (it's a natural break that occurs in the schedule anyway, feels appropriate) but I do think it misrepresents sample size a bit.

Pre All Star Break for Herb was a 56 game sample size of shooting 36% from 3, 50% from the field.

The Post-All Star Break decline did happen, but there were only 22 regular season games played after that point for Herb. So that colder stretch was actually significantly shorter than the pre-All Star sample. I know you weren't intending to mislead but I think just framing it as pre and post makes it read as though it's two halves of the season, when it's not: the post-All Star sample or Herb was less than 1/3rd of his overall games played.

Then, as you mention, his sample size in the playoffs was small. I don't, however, think that means it should just be completely excluded from the totals because its still an indicator of how he shot during the course of the year. For that matter, the 2 play-in games should count as well, I think. If we add in those 8 games played after the conclusion of the regular season, then this is what we get:

Pre All Star: 56 games. 49.9%FG, 35.8%3pt on 1.9 per game, 85.5%FT

Post All Star (incl. Playoffs + Play In): 30 games. 39.4%FG, 37.3% from 3 on 2.8 per game, 85.5%FT

When you do it that way, including the post-season and the play-in, what you find is that his FT% stays the same and actually his 3pt% goes up on more attempts per game. It's his 2pt% that really suffers.

Suddenly the regression doesn't look quite as dire as it might given your initial presentation. In fact the shooting from 3 - which is the topic you spend most of your comment on - got better on more shots overall in that 30 game span. I'm not trying to say that the 37% version of Herb is more 'real' than the 30% version you show, because we're still talking about a small enough sample of shots that 8 games can wildly swing the percentages, but similarly I don't know that we can say the 30% version is more indicative than the 37% either. It's just not a large enough sample of shots to get too definitive about, imo.

Because of this, as well as the stability of the FT% over time, I'm not quite as pessimistic about his shooting as you might be. I still don't think he's ever going to be a sniper, hitting 42% of his 3s on 8 per game or anything like that, but I don't really see the signs of a Thybulle-esque falloff.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-03-2022 at 08:37 PM.

1. Herb
    2. Murphy
    3. Daniels
    4. Alvarado
    5. Liddell

6. Naji
    7. Hayes
    8. Kira

Love our young guys. Super likeable guys. Likeability is very important to me. And Herb is the ********ing man!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    Assuming you have Herb at 33.7% for the year from 3...rest assured he had the best 3-pt shooting year of his basketball life, this past season with the Pels. Herb was a truly horrible 3-pt shooter for his entire life...until this first year with the Pels. He's getting better...
    Or... last year was an outlier. Love Herb... hope Herb continues to grow offensively and becomes the next Kawhi. But I would bet on Trey being the more valuable player in 2 years if he continues to get stronger and better on defense.

FWIW, there are very few players I'd be OK trading either Herb or Trey for right now. But one of them happens to be available right now.

I think Herb's contract situation is also an issue. The way I understand it, the Pels would be able to pick up his option at the end of next season or turn down his option similar to Lu Dort - and make him a restricted free agent going into next summer. Or pick up his option and then he's an unrestricted free agent the following summer. Herb is going to get PAID soon. Either that or he's going to plateau/regress and that would mean we missed his peak as an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dud View Post
    Except, as I laid out, he isnt. And can lay out a bunch more guys who had an outlier stretch like that but returned to their norm forever.

What gives me hope for Herb is that he shot so well from the foul line and that can be a good indicator for improved outside shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think it's fair to speculate about this, and I also understand why you split the season by All-star break (it's a natural break that occurs in the schedule anyway, feels appropriate) but I do think it misrepresents sample size a bit.

Pre All Star Break for Herb was a 56 game sample size of shooting 36% from 3, 50% from the field.

The Post-All Star Break decline did happen, but there were only 22 regular season games played after that point for Herb. So that colder stretch was actually significantly shorter than the pre-All Star sample. I know you weren't intending to mislead but I think just framing it as pre and post makes it read as though it's two halves of the season, when it's not: the post-All Star sample or Herb was less than 1/3rd of his overall games played.

Then, as you mention, his sample size in the playoffs was small. I don't, however, think that means it should just be completely excluded from the totals because its still an indicator of how he shot during the course of the year. For that matter, the 2 play-in games should count as well, I think. If we add in those 8 games played after the conclusion of the regular season, then this is what we get:

Post All Star (incl. Playoffs + Play In): 30 games. 39.4%FG, 37.3% from 3 on 2.8 per game, 85.5%FT

When you do it that way, including the post-season and the play-in, what you find is that his FT% stays the same and actually his 3pt% goes up on more attempts per game. It's his 2pt% that really suffers.

Suddenly the regression doesn't look quite as dire as it might given your initial presentation. In fact the shooting from 3 - which is the topic you spend most of your comment on - got better on more shots overall in that 30 game span. I'm not trying to say that the 37% version of Herb is more 'real' than the 30% version you show, because we're still talking about a small enough sample of shots that 8 games can wildly swing the percentages, but similarly I don't know that we can say the 30% version is more indicative than the 37% either. It's just not a large enough sample of shots to get too definitive about, imo.

Because of this, as well as the stability of the FT% over time, I'm not quite as pessimistic about his shooting as you might be. I still don't think he's ever going to be a sniper, hitting 42% of his 3s on 8 per game or anything like that, but I don't really see the signs of a Thybulle-esque falloff.
    You mistake me saying it WILL happen, for it CAN happen

My point only is that fans will always assume the optimistic upswing and it getting better. I am sure Clippers fans thought that, Sixers fans of Thybulle, etc. But it doesnt always go that way.

I am curious about Jose and Herb most. I can sell myself on it being the start of something great, I can also make a good case for it being the peak of both of their value. I dont pretend to know the future, I just know there are many possibilities, and sometimes fandom makes you blind to a few of those.

You mistake me saying it WILL happen, for it CAN happen

My point only is that fans will always assume the optimistic upswing and it getting better. I am sure Clippers fans thought that, Sixers fans of Thybulle, etc. But it doesnt always go that way.

I am curious about Jose and Herb most. I can sell myself on it being the start of something great, I can also make a good case for it being the peak of both of their value. I dont pretend to know the future, I just know there are many possibilities, and sometimes fandom makes you blind to a few of those.
    Oh sure, I'm not saying he can't shoot worse. It could be that he's peaking now. Personally I have optimism but it's totally possible. I just don't think you can use his post-allstar shooting as a strong point of evidence, and that if you are going to try and read anything from it, you should include the play-in/off games too.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    What gives me hope for Herb is that he shot so well from the foul line and that can be a good indicator for improved outside shooting.
    I think we all have hope. I just would be open to moving him if some other GM had the hope of others on this board. If some GM thought this was a future DPOY with offensive upside, on a tiny contract, I should get a lot of value for that. Way more than I would get for Murphy, for instance. I believe that future is possible, but not likely. And if I can get the value of that future, I would have to strongly consider it

I dont think Kira is a pure point, and actually think his destiny is to be a secondary attacker in a current Reggie Jackson kind of role. Just taking catch and shoot three's plus getting downhill and putting pressure on the defense. If he could be 2020-21 Reggie Jackson (11 points in 23 minutes, shot 43% from 3, three assists to 1 turnover), I would be over the moon with that. And I do think that is realistic. Those last few games before he went down, he was scoring about 7 points in 12 minutes and the turnovers went away (12 to 1 assist to turnover ratio in his last 7 games)

I really liked what Jose did last season, but I am curious to see how he fares when the opponent knows him and is aware of him. Curious about that for a lot of guys on this team, actually.
    This ^^^^

People love Jose, but I think your assessment is pretty accurate. Jose is undersized. He tries hard so we love him, but of all the young guys, he is the most replaceable in my opinion. There are a lot of small guards out there that can provide a spark. Several go undrafted every year. That?s why I would have him last in this ranking.

Rotation guys in a playoff team
    Daniels - 6-8 playmakers are rare (if he hits, the mismatch created by starting a huge pg is enormous)
    Trey - Shooting at an elite level is a difficult skill to find
    Herb - Elite level defense is required for playoff success.

Big gap

The -potential- guys
    Kira - Bench scorer and facilitator
    EJ - small ball five (need to see if he can score at this level)
    Hayes - losing faith but 7 footers who shoots decent from 3 help with spacing. He needs to get bigger to bang down low and improve his rebounding. He will probably figure it out after his rookie contract is up and he is on his second team.

Guys that are not unique
    Naji - replaceable wing (lots of wings can provide hustle)
    Jose - replaceable guard (lots of small guards can provide hustle)

I just do not see what Elite skill Naji and Jose provide. Maybe they have an elite skill that differentiates them from others in the wing/small guard categories. I just might be missing it.
    Last edited by lionelmandrake; 07-03-2022 at 09:12 PM.

Oh sure, I'm not saying he can't shoot worse. It could be that he's peaking now. Personally I have optimism but it's totally possible. I just don't think you can use his post-allstar shooting as a strong point of evidence, and that if you are going to try and read anything from it, you should include the play-in/off games too.
    All that is fair. I have no clue what will happen. I will say, from a visual standpoint, the made shots didnt look pure to me. They were flat and I just think that is more likely to be fluke-ish. Same with the FTs. Sure, there are some guys with non ideal looking strokes and ball flights that shoot well. More of them than not dont, however.

I just feel like if I had to predict Trey's future and Herb's future, I would get much closer to Trey's because I have no idea where Herb's will land

If you really wanna get deep into the weeds on Herb's 3-pt shooting...check out his regular season shot chart sometime. Especially his shots taken from 16'-to the 3-pt line range. Probably gonna show he was 16-42 from that distance. Funny thing is...I think I remember Herb taking TWO shots from that distance during the entire season that were SUPPOSE to be 2-pt shots. The other 40 shots were actually Herb's attempt at taking a 3-pt shot...that weren't "charted" as 3-pt attempts due to Herb's rather odd habit of "foot faulting". By the way...Herb was 1-2 on those 2 legit midrange shots he intentionally took. And by the way, part 2...check out that shot chart & you'll find...Herb had ZERO foot faults on the left side corner 3...and a schit-load of foot faults on the right side corner 3.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think we all have hope. I just would be open to moving him if some other GM had the hope of others on this board. If some GM thought this was a future DPOY with offensive upside, on a tiny contract, I should get a lot of value for that. Way more than I would get for Murphy, for instance. I believe that future is possible, but not likely. And if I can get the value of that future, I would have to strongly consider it
    If Herb was on Lu Dort's contract going into next season and it was pushing us into the tax, I wonder how people would feel about him.

And if Jose is who people think he is and he warrants the 2/$30m that Tyus just got in a couple of years, what do we do? When we're already in the tax because of Herb's new deal, and staring at Trey's new deal on the horizon, as well as a BI extension, what then?

If all these dudes are who we hope they are, don't see how we keep all of them. I think Pels will pay the tax, but even tax paying teams have to make difficult decisions to make sure they're competing for a championship while they're paying the tax.

All that is fair. I have no clue what will happen. I will say, from a visual standpoint, the made shots didnt look pure to me. They were flat and I just think that is more likely to be fluke-ish. Same with the FTs. Sure, there are some guys with non ideal looking strokes and ball flights that shoot well. More of them than not dont, however.

I just feel like if I had to predict Trey's future and Herb's future, I would get much closer to Trey's because I have no idea where Herb's will land
    You wanna see FLAT...UGLY...and be amazed when they went in...3-pt shots by Herb, then you should have seen him his Sr year at Bama. True...he ended up shooting 35% for the year but it was the ugliest, luckiest 35% in the history of 3-pt shooting. Let's just say it was a VERY low sample size and the "bank was always open"...he actually SOMEHOW went 20-38 through the first 2/3 of the season, taking about 2 per game...then down the stretch & through the important SECT and March Madness...he continued to take 2 per game...and shot an amazing 0-19 to close the year at 20-57...35%. THEY WOULD NOT EVEN GO OUT TO GUARD HIM. (Hint....the bank had closed) If the season had gone on another week or 2, I have no doubt Herb woulda slid back to his "norm"...which woulda been somewhere in the 20's.

Bottom line...he's gotten much better & I think there's been enough sample size to feel reasonably well about his FT shooting. Maybe not 83% or whatever it was...but I'd guess 78-80%. He got better every year at FTs in college. On 3s...he's definitely still a "work in progress", but he's such a workaholic...I fully expect him to improve next year...maybe to 37% or so. (Assuming...almost all of his 3s are C&S as they were this past season AND I guess we better put him in that left side corner 3 area...OR...cut off his big toe on his left foot...if we continue to let him shoot from the right side corner 3 area)
    Last edited by The Dud; 07-03-2022 at 09:55 PM.

Thread Information