Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Young Dudes Ranked

Young Dudes Ranked

A thread for ranking young dudes, more on a personal level of wanting them to be here than how good you think they are or will be (but that is obviously part of it)

Basically, you are Griff and you like a player on another team, but they are asking about your young dudes - #1 would be the guy you are least willing to give up. For me, its:

1. Daniels
    2. Murphy
    3. Herb
    4. EJ
    5. Kira
    6. Jose
    7. Naji
    8. Hayes

*2 and 3 is impossible for me, and changes by the day, so I reserve the right to change on this later! lol

What's your order?
    @mcnamara247

Herb
    Murphy
    Daniels
    EJ
    Jose
    Naji
    Kira
    Hayes

Hayes

1. Herb 2. Trey 3. Dyson 4. Jose 5. EJ 6. Naji 7. Kira 8. Hayes

I value the guy who played the most games last year (Herb) vs the potential of someone else who may overtake him.

I don’t know why but something in my gut tells me this is the peak of Herbs value. I think he might get 8-10 percent better but sooner his contract will be 2000% bigger. I hope I am wrong but it’s what I would think if he was on another team

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Murphy
    Herb
    Jose
    Dyson
    EJ
    Hayes
    Naji (Willie)
    Kira

There's a large gap after the first 3. But I can clearly see a world where Dyson moves into that group and Jose moves out of it.
    There's a world where Dyson makes us more comfortable trading both Herb and Jose.
    There's a gap for me between Dyson and EJ, but not as big as the gap between EJ and the last 3.

I've sent more positive group chat and text messages about Jaxson - aka Side Show Lob - than any of the last 3.
    There's a Naji on every team. I put him in the same category as Willie Hernangomez
    Kira never did anything for me. Even going back to draft night. Just couldn't get excited about him.

I just hate how bias fans can be when they don't know how a player is so they make him expendable. It's literally outta site out of mind.

1.Dyson
    2. Herb
    3. Murphy
    4. EJ
    5.Jose
    6.Naji
    7. Kira
    8. Hayes
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Herb
    Daniels
    Murphy
    EJ
    Jose
    Kira
    Hayes
    Naji

This is purely an instinctual ranking, I might change my mind a bit if I sat on it for a while but I've never really considered ranking them this way
    Basketball.

On a personal level...

Trey
    Jose
    Herb
    Naji

I have no personal attachment to Dyson or EJ yet. I'm pretty much done with Hayes. I have no real attachment to Kira. He hasn't done anything that excite me.

(1) Herb
    (2) Dyson
    (3) Trey
    (4) EJ
    (5) Kira
    (6) Jose
    (7) Naji
    (8) Hayes

I agree that Herb is likely closer to his ceiling. But he came in playing at nearly an elite level on defense. So for him growing marginally means he will be playing at an All-Defensive team level. I hope Dyson and Trey develop an elite level skill but I would rank the known higher than the hope at this point. Sizable gap between the top three and the rest on this list. I put Kira over Jose because I feel like Jose's long-term role will a high energy spark off the bench and I think Kira has the potential to be a rotational player with ability to contribute starter minutes in event of injury. I like Naji's game. I love having a player like him on the bench that can come in and give you tough minutes when needed in different situations but will often by a DNP. I just don't see him growing too much out of that role. I think Hayes has more potential to grow into a rotational player than Naji and Jose, but all signs point to him not having that long term role with this team, so he is ranked last on this list for me.

Jose has done more in one playoff series than Kira probably will in his career

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don’t know why but something in my gut tells me this is the peak of Herbs value. I think he might get 8-10 percent better but sooner his contract will be 2000% bigger. I hope I am wrong but it’s what I would think if he was on another team
    This is where I've been ever since I really took a look at Herb's contract after the season and thought about what we're going to have to pay him. I love everything about Herb. I'll be a Herb fan no matter who he plays for. But with Trey and Dyson on rookie contracts for a longer period of time, Herb is who I'd part with first in any deal for a superstar.

Plus, adequate defense can be manufactured through scheme if you have willing players. We schemed open shots and missed them on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Murphy
    Herb
    Jose
    Dyson
    EJ
    Hayes
    Naji (Willie)
    Kira

There's a large gap after the first 3. But I can clearly see a world where Dyson moves into that group and Jose moves out of it.
    There's a world where Dyson makes us more comfortable trading both Herb and Jose.
    There's a gap for me between Dyson and EJ, but not as big as the gap between EJ and the last 3.

I've sent more positive group chat and text messages about Jaxson - aka Side Show Lob - than any of the last 3.
    There's a Naji on every team. I put him in the same category as Willie Hernangomez
    Kira never did anything for me. Even going back to draft night. Just couldn't get excited about him.
    This is where I am at as well. There is something to be said for potential, and another to be said for production. I think to many people live in this world of a young player being more valuable because of perceived potential, that they underrate players who have actually gone and done the damn thing on the court.

I love the young players we have, but the ones who have actually shown it on the court will carry more value to me.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I wasn't high on Dyson in the draft so that maybe explains my reasoning here.

1. Herb
    2. Trey
    3. Dyson
    4. Jose
    5. EJ
    6. Kira
    7. Naji

8. Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    A thread for ranking young dudes, more on a personal level of wanting them to be here than how good you think they are or will be (but that is obviously part of it)

Basically, you are Griff and you like a player on another team, but they are asking about your young dudes - #1 would be the guy you are least willing to give up. For me, its:

1. Daniels
    2. Murphy
    3. Herb
    4. EJ
    5. Kira
    6. Jose
    7. Naji
    8. Hayes

*2 and 3 is impossible for me, and changes by the day, so I reserve the right to change on this later! lol

What's your order?
    This is a weird thing to say but I both disagree with having Kira so high but somehow like it at the same time. I want Kira to come back strong but I also don't see his skillset fitting into what we're doing with the team (players that can switch and rotate multiple positions). It's like, I don't think a traditional PG type will ever crack our starting lineup and there's only room for one traditional PG to get significant minutes and I like the dogged defense of Jose. So I currently see Kira as the most expendable.

1. Herb
    2. Dyson
    3. Trey
    4. Jose
    5. EJ
    6. Hayes
    7. Naji
    8. Kira

I'm curious how Kira got so high for you (not in an argumentative way but in wanting to be sold on Kira way....my heart wants to buy in).
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I dont think Kira is a pure point, and actually think his destiny is to be a secondary attacker in a current Reggie Jackson kind of role. Just taking catch and shoot three's plus getting downhill and putting pressure on the defense. If he could be 2020-21 Reggie Jackson (11 points in 23 minutes, shot 43% from 3, three assists to 1 turnover), I would be over the moon with that. And I do think that is realistic. Those last few games before he went down, he was scoring about 7 points in 12 minutes and the turnovers went away (12 to 1 assist to turnover ratio in his last 7 games)

I really liked what Jose did last season, but I am curious to see how he fares when the opponent knows him and is aware of him. Curious about that for a lot of guys on this team, actually.

Herb
    Daniels
    Murphy
    EJ
    Quite a bit of space
    Kira
    Jose
    Naji
    Hayes

Herb's gonna get MUCH better offensively. After next year, you will have a MUCH higher opinion on Herb's future.

The Franchise
    I think everyone likes the first 3 because of versatility. I think Kira is going to be better long term defensively than Jose and Naji is redundant with Murphy, Herb, and Dyson. If you move JV, it would be nice to have a decent big and hayes could be it. Plus starting him his value could go up by the trade deadline and we can move him to clear space and maybe get an asset back.
    1. Daniels
    2. Murphy
    3. Herb
    4. Kira
    5. Hayes
    6. EJ
    7. Jose
    8. Naji

DITTO #13
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 07-03-2022 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    If you move JV, it would be nice to have a decent big and hayes could be it. Plus starting him his value could go up by the trade deadline and we can move him to clear space and maybe get an asset back.
    If you start Jax and play him for any significant time, you will lose games off it. Just off that, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If you start Jax and play him for any significant time, you will lose games off it. Just off that, alone.
    Depends. If we add KD to CJ- BI- Zion, you could throw me in at C and we would still win 60 games.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hayes won’t be in there at crunch times. Figure it’d be Herb or Trey at the end of games. If I kept him, it’d be to move him at the trade deadline and maybe get another young big.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Jose's energy is priceless. Even Willie immediately kicked himself for sending him to the G League and brought him back ASAP.

I wouldn't send anyone out except Kira, Jax and Naji. Everyone else is untouchable.

I am very curious to see what Alvarado is moving forward. His value went beyond what you could see in the stats but I have also seen guys make their way into the league like that and then over time, the day in and day out grind, they lose 5-10 percent of that and then it’s pure talent vs pure talent and they become just another guy. Like, TJ McConnell, fighting to get into the league. To get a contract and some guaranteed money, is everyone’s favorite. Eventually, they are solid but they don’t really swing games or have an impact Greater than most other backup guards

I think that when a guy is an underdog and barely paid, we overlook every failure and overappreciate every success. Because it’s unexpected. But over time that goes away and you start evaluating them as you would any other player and you see it’s an undersized guard who isn’t a good shooter or especially good playmaker, etc. and it’s fine if you have them but you don’t consider them “untouchable “

Jose is not untouchable. That being said, I love him

1. Daniels
    2. Herb
    3. Murphy
    4. EJ
    5. Jose
    6. Kira
    7. Naji
    8. Hayes

Herb's defense will only get better so I feel he is the safest to be productive.
    AKA St. David

Thread Information