Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Zion Extension Thread

Irreparable implies a 0% chance. People just use whatever words get the biggest reaction these days

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I believe the stories from December/January. I remember the word "irreparable" being thrown around. What I said at that time, and proved to be right ultimately, was that if we could just get Zion back in the building and get him around the team and the culture Green had built, that the wall could be broken down. My biggest fear at the time was that the family was intentionally trying to keep Zion from being exposed to that, and I'm glad that has turned out to be incorrect.
    Well I do believe a lot of the non-local media wanted Zion to leave New Orleans. They hoped the relationship was irreparable because they wanted him in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I can believe Zion wanted out then because last year was a lifetime ago for the Pelicans. We had a major culture shift. The team rallied around its first year coach, the rookies exploded onto the scene, we acquired a true vet leader, and made the playoffs and threatened the number 1 seed. Its not surprising that Zion would have been unhappy with the franchise direction before all that went down. And its not surprising that now he is happy with the direction things are going.
    All very valid points. My takeaway is that the first two years of Zion's time here, the franchise was pretty directionless. Almost no one thought that keeping Alvin Gentry was a good idea. And Stan Van Gundy's hire was pretty uninspired.

I put most of the blame last year on Zion though. From what I've heard he wasn't exactly dedicated to his rehab early on. And his attempts to put pressure on the Pelicans to play him (which would have apparently been against his own doctors' advice) by putting his dunks out on social media was inexcusable.

My biggest concern with Zion remains his maturity. Hopefully being around Willie and CJ will help him grow up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I believe the stories from December/January. I remember the word "irreparable" being thrown around. What I said at that time, and proved to be right ultimately, was that if we could just get Zion back in the building and get him around the team and the culture Green had built, that the wall could be broken down. My biggest fear at the time was that the family was intentionally trying to keep Zion from being exposed to that, and I'm glad that has turned out to be incorrect.
    Yeah, I dont remember anyone using irreparable, but I am sure someone did. But it was bad, and my contention was (and still is) that now you just lost a pillar. In any relationship, there is a foundation it is built on and when it eventually crumbles, it is never because of just one thing. My thing is, that if you look at NBA history, it is very rare that it ever got as rocky as it did between them and didnt eventually crumble. Now, there are some examples - Hakeem and the Rockets. Kobe and the Lakers.

Winning and money cures all. To be fair back then, there wasnt a very clear path to winning without Zion, let alone with Zion. And they also got lucky. Lucky that there is now a play in. Lucky that you didnt even need to be close to .500 to make said play in. But they took advantage of that luck and then played well enough to get everyone excited. Then, they get the Laker pick. A lot of things broke a way nobody could have possibly forseen in December, including Zions camp. Combine that with him being hurt and CJ and JJ calling him out a bit, causing some heat on him and his camp they werent getting until then - all that and you have a perfect recipe for what happened yesterday. And thats how life works. Sometimes all things work for you, sometimes your name is Dell Demps and they all work against you.

What is done is done and they are where they are now. Got here by unconventional means, but are here nonetheless
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Local reporters also talked about certain people playing pianos in hotel rooms. While none of them knew of a whole broken foot for months. None of them could break any contract details.

But hey, people believe what they want to believe no matter how flimsy the proof is. That's how we got religion.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 07-07-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Sometimes all things work for you, sometimes your name is Dell Demps and they all work against you.
    Lol

I guess I'm the only one who raised an eyebrow at the silence from his teammates yesterday. Probably nothing to it then.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who raised an eyebrow at the silence from his teammates yesterday. Probably nothing to it then.
    Quite literally nothing to it. Not every exchange needs to be public. Phone calls and texts were likely sent. His teammates love him, you can see that in public pictures and videos when they're together.

I did not even check. Did all the other players who got extensions have all of their teammates post tweets congratulating them?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I did not even check. Did all the other players who got extensions have all of their teammates post tweets congratulating them?
    I wasn't looking for it, but did notice the absence. Maybe because most of the guys wished Trey a happy birthday on their socials a couple of weeks ago. Not so much for Zion.
    Athletes post all the time congratulating teammates and former teammates for stuff like this. When Jose signed his deal they all posted congratulating him. Maybe it's just July and the Pels are on vacation.

BI sharing year old Meek Mil quotes while his name is being speculated in trades…
    But there’s nothing to see here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F964DDD-1B2E-4479-8EAA-B0C433992816.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	6637

BI sharing year old Meek Mil quotes while his name is being speculated in trades…
    But there’s nothing to see here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F964DDD-1B2E-4479-8EAA-B0C433992816.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	6637
    Are you bored? Could you possibly reach anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by urboyJD View Post
    Are you bored? Could you possibly reach anymore?
    Yes. I’m bored. But also…

The NBA is the most online league of all the sports. NBA athletes use social media to communicate more than I’ve seen in any other league. “NBATwitter” is it’s own thing of value that insiders and the league office promote and follow. But I guess in this case it’s nothing. Which it probably is. But maybe it isn’t.

But yes. I’m bored.

Zion dunking on kids and posting it means he wants to move to Utah. Hear me out.....

Why would you post videos of you taking games with young kids so seriously, unless you wanted to do it more often? And what better place to be able to destroy a bunch of kids in one-on-one than Utah, where they have the nations highest amount of children per family (2.32, as of last Census)

Combine that with Utah having the 'Jazz' name, which was once a part of New Orleans and you can see how all signs are pointing to Zion going to Utah, just like the Jazz name did in 1979, which will be 44 years ago during this season, and Zion just turned 22. And what's 44 divided by 22? TWO - which is the number of teams Zion will have been on once he moves to Utah!!!!!!

I wasn't looking for it, but did notice the absence. Maybe because most of the guys wished Trey a happy birthday on their socials a couple of weeks ago. Not so much for Zion.
    Athletes post all the time congratulating teammates and former teammates for stuff like this. When Jose signed his deal they all posted congratulating him. Maybe it's just July and the Pels are on vacation.
    Zion himself is barely ever online. No idea why anyone would try and congratulate him on social media knowing he'll never see it, when they have his personal phone number. That's just my take.
    Basketball.

I do think there was friction in the process obviously, but that is the case with many superstars in the league. It?s fair to question his maturity yada yada, but at the end of they day he is here and that is all that matters. I can?t wait to see this team at full strength. Crazy to think we could be a real contender.

Thread Information