Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Zion Extension Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    So no option in year 5??
    We don't know, and with the BI extension it wasn't confirmed if there was a PO or not until the presser. So I imagine this will be the same.
    Basketball.

Is it strange that there is no mention of Zion's new contract on the Pelican's official twitter page?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Is it strange that there is no mention of Zion's new contract on the Pelican's official twitter page?
    They kind of have:

This is in regards to Perkins claiming Zion wouldn't resign. So they've addressed the fact that he has.

But in fairness to the Pels, the Bulls haven't tweeted about the Lavine extension, nor have the Cavs tweeted about Garland's. Maybe they can't announce it until the league has processed it or something? No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    They kind of have:

This is in regards to Perkins claiming Zion wouldn't resign. So they've addressed the fact that he has.

But in fairness to the Pels, the Bulls haven't tweeted about the Lavine extension, nor have the Cavs tweeted about Garland's. Maybe they can't announce it until the league has processed it or something? No idea.
    They let their agent break the news.

Nah the Grizzlies haven’t either

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Nah the Grizzlies haven’t either
    Maybe they wait until the new league year to officially announce.

There’s no way this is fully guaranteed right? Hope there’s some injury guarantees for like yr 2 or yr 3 and on in the contract.

He will make all the money from this contract. There will be some things in there to protect the Pels from an Oden type career ended but not from much else. Why I always said the 5th year was more important because the injury protection only really matters if the dudes career is over at like 24 and that won’t happen (knock on Christian Wood)
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He will make all the money from this contract. There will be some things in there to protect the Pels from an Oden type career ended but not from much else. Why I always said the 5th year was more important because the injury protection only really matters if the dudes career is over at like 24 and that won’t happen (knock on Christian Wood)
    So does that mean he did get a 5th year PO? I was hoping not.

Zion Williamson Rumors: Pelicans Max Contract Includes Injury Protections

The New Orleans Pelicans agreed with Zion Williamson on a five-year, $193 million designated maximum rookie extension that could be worth up to $231 million.

However, the contract has injury protections in place, Shams Charania of Stadium and The Athletic said during an appearance on The Pat McAfee Show.

"Sources tell me there are protections in Zion Williamson's max extension, but this is a deal he wanted to get done," Charania said (h/t RealGM).

"As long as he's healthy and plays in these games, he's going to have no problems meeting these benchmarks."
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ry-protections

You know what?

I respect that. Fair on you, Perk.

I heard earlier that there might be a public signing of his contract today, but I haven't heard any updates.

In perhaps related news, uh oh Zion is eating cake:

https://twitter.com/PelsPress/status..._bbhhHljjBwWeQ

I heard earlier that there might be a public signing of his contract today, but I haven't heard any updates.

In perhaps related news, uh oh Zion is eating cake:

https://twitter.com/PelsPress/status..._bbhhHljjBwWeQ
    Oh no, breaking news 22 year old eats cake on their birthday

Just having a little fun

Just having a little fun
    If it weren't fully believable that news outlets will run it as a real story, I'd probably be less ticked off by it

Should hear the details from Griff and Co. soon.

It looks like it is going to be live in a few minutes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Smqvv7pSMWA

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If Griff is speaking or taking questions, someone is going to ask him about Durant. And someone will also (hopefully) ask him about Dyson's contract and the CJ/Nance extensions. Maybe this will just be Zion signing and not a real press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    If Griff is speaking or taking questions, someone is going to ask him about Durant. And someone will also (hopefully) ask him about Dyson's contract and the CJ/Nance extensions. Maybe this will just be Zion signing and not a real press conference.
    ''Hi Griff, I know we're here to talk about the $200m extension we've just given to our historically talented 22 year old and it's also his birthday, but I've been messing around on the trade machine and I wanted to hear your thoughts on this 5 team deal I've pulled out of my small intestine.''

So NBAtv has been showing Pelicans games almost all freakin day.

From the 2021 mostly healthy Zion season that is.

Zion's got a huge grin on his face

''It's amazing what happens when you're trying to hand potentially $230m to somebody and lawyers are in the office.'' - Griff

Thread Information