Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion Extension Thread

Season Ticket Holder

Zion Extension Thread

After not signing at midnight, Shams says:

New Orleans Pelicans star Zion Williamson is nearing a five-year rookie max contract extension worth up to $231 million, sources tell
    @TheAthletic @Stadium The commitment will take Williamson?s new deal through the 2027-28 season.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...53044752228354

No word just yet about the 5th year being an option. No word on injury protections.

Season Ticket Holder
    Oops. I see I've broken no news. Feel free to ignore this thread and post in the main offseason one.

Lol nah a new one is good for discussing protections and such

Yeah it's thread worthy

I saw on Twitter someone mentioning that this would include the Rose Rule stuff

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Yeah it's thread worthy
    Yeah, since it is the most monumental thing this franchise has done since trading AD, yeah, might merit its own thread. LOL.

The devil is in the details, but as a fan, I don't really care about the 5th year option. If this team is winning, he's gonna opt-in or extend. If we suck, he's gonna wanna leave anyway.

For those of you who get bothered by the disrespect to the team online, don’t think this has ended anything. The narrative will just flip from “Zion ain’t staying with them” to “Pelicans are so dumb. Can’t believe they gave that man all that money. He don’t even play”

Just watch
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    For those of you who get bothered by the disrespect to the team online, don’t think this has ended anything. The narrative will just flip from “Zion ain’t staying with them” to “Pelicans are so dumb. Can’t believe they gave that man all that money. He don’t even play”

Just watch
    Jealousy/Schadenfreude is a hell of a drug

"Take the money, ask out LATER, to the KNICKS"

Season Ticket Holder

Just watch
    Probably. They gotta talk about SOMETHING. Personally, I don't care what anyone nationally says about the team. The only thing that bugs me is when they talk about moving the team to Seattle or some such baloney. Or when Ramona Sheborne called me a racist for booing Anthony Davis.

I don’t get the need for validation from the outsiders. Now, if Zach Lowe starts talking about the franchise being a disaster, I might listen up. The rest of them could be on mute for all I care

FWIW - all I have been told is that it isn’t totally done yet and nobody knows what the exact details are. As with everything else with Zions camp, it has stayed more secret than most things we do, with less people involved. All people around the office knew the past few weeks was that it was getting done. No details

For those of you who get bothered by the disrespect to the team online, don?t think this has ended anything. The narrative will just flip from ?Zion ain?t staying with them? to ?Pelicans are so dumb. Can?t believe they gave that man all that money. He don?t even play?

Just watch
    It is already happening LMAO
    Why I peruse this board only now, tigerdroppings and twitter is too much...

FWIW - all I have been told is that it isn?t totally done yet and nobody knows what the exact details are. As with everything else with Zions camp, it has stayed more secret than most things we do, with less people involved. All people around the office knew the past few weeks was that it was getting done. No details
    I, for one, welcome the suspense

Considering this is - by far - the biggest thing that will happen to the Pels in the off-season

Season Ticket Holder
    I, for one, welcome the suspense

Considering this is - by far - the biggest thing that will happen to the Pels in the off-season
    Totally. We went from (rightfully or wrongfully) wringing our hands about Zion NOT signing an extension to just waiting for the details of the extension. This is certainly a cause for celebration. They say the "devil is in the details", but really, I don't care about the injury protections cause they only kick in if we cut him. And I don't care about the 5th year option cause if we suck, he's gonna want out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Totally. We went from (rightfully or wrongfully) wringing our hands about Zion NOT signing an extension to just waiting for the details of the extension. This is certainly a cause for celebration. They say the "devil is in the details", but really, I don't care about the injury protections cause they only kick in if we cut him. And I don't care about the 5th year option cause if we suck, he's gonna want out anyway.
    I don't think there was ever any real danger of him not extending. At least, not in the recent past

Season Ticket Holder
    They gotta play this montage before games to hype up the crowd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I concur

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    The deal is done! 5-year deal starts at $193 million - designated rookie extension - can be worth up to $231

LET'S DO THIS.

Just to keep the information in one thread:

The second set of numbers (the $231m value total) is available if Zion wins MVP, DPOY, or achieves All-NBA this season upcoming.

To do that, he realistically has to play at least 55 games (that is the minimum required to qualify for things like the scoring title, for example) and of course be excellent and be awarded for that excellence, which in today's NBA is obviously not ensured. I personally felt he deserved 3rd team All-NBA the last season he played and he didn't get it then; could easily see a replica of that.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This is why his weight wasn’t gonna be an issue. He stands the chance to make a billion dollars as a player in his career. He’d be a fool to cark that up and not listen to guys like Lebron or CJ and take extreme care of his body going forward.

Man just give me a 10th of that kinda feta and I’d be looking like Khalil Mack out there.

Ok, the contract is signed, Zion isn’t going anywhere for the foreseeable future…

Now it’s time to put in the work and show the rest of the NBA how NOLA rolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    This is why his weight wasn’t gonna be an issue. He stands the chance to make a billion dollars as a player in his career. He’d be a fool to cark that up and not listen to guys like Lebron or CJ and take extreme care of his body going forward.

Man just give me a 10th of that kinda feta and I’d be looking like Khalil Mack out there.
    Its wild that Zion is, today, still 21. He doesn't turn 22 until Wednesday. So by the time this contract ends in 6 years time, he'll still be only 27 years old. At that point he should be just entering his absolute prime. If he can stay healthy, he'll be in for whatever the equivalent is to the Supermax at that time, and god knows exactly what that will look like in 2028. And even if that's a 5 year deal, when that finishes he'll only be 32! Which in today's NBA isn't even that old, he could be able to sign another $150m+ contract then.

It's insane how much you can make in the NBA if you are
    A) Elite and
    B) Able to stay healthy.

We know Zion can do A, and I assume that the franchise believes he can do B if they were willing to give him all of this money. Outside of freak accidents, the ball is in his court now. I think he'll be worth the price but if he wants to keep earning into his 30s, he's gotta take care of himself and keep grinding for those improvements. I still think he can become a reasonable NBA shooter.

So no option in year 5??

Thread Information