Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Please do not trade Zion or Ingram for Durant

How on Earth are we gonna match 49mil of salary?

Third team I suppose
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-04-2022 at 08:04 AM.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    How on Earth are we gonna match 49mil of salary?
    It won’t just cost that because we’d have to move all our depth. Finding replacements even for minimum will most likely put us over the cap. Let’s say you move JV, Graham, Temple, Hayes, and Nance, your at 47 million. Trade machine says KD is 44 million. Maybe you can squeeze a couple vets that ring chase but we’d still only have 12 players. CJ, BI, KD, Zion, and Herb. Then Kira, Daniels, Trey, EJ, Billy, Jose, and Naji. Wouldn’t be horrible but very hard to stay under the cap. I understand once you have KD you push your chips but I’m sure if you could hold off one more year, Gail would appreciate it.

You need to get to about 35.4 in salary going out to make it legal for KD. And that is a bonus, if you can stay as low as possible, because that 9 mil will save the Nets 30 in Lux tax payments

Graham, Temple, and Hayes gets you to 23 already. Add Jonas and you are over it. Or add Nance and one of the young dudes and you are there. It’s not hard to get to the number
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You need to get to about 35.4 in salary going out to make it legal for KD. And that is a bonus, if you can stay as low as possible, because that 9 mil will save the Nets 30 in Lux tax payments

Graham, Temple, and Hayes gets you to 23 already. Add Jonas and you are over it. Or add Nance and one of the young dudes and you are there. It’s not hard to get to the number
    Seems like 49 mil wasn't the correct figure (43 rounded up seems right)

Not sure sure what the rules of salary matching are when the team sending out the more expensive player is in the tax, and team B is not (able to find the rules around it being vice versa)

But 43/35.4 is ~ 1.21/120%; or we're sending out ~80% of what's incoming
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-04-2022 at 09:00 AM.

This is why I said a big part of this equation is our ability to be a REAL tax team. Not a 'dip your toes in the water' tax team. Because after that trade alone, Pels would be about 5 mil in the tax, then they gotta fill out the roster using the taxpayer MLE ideally. Long story short, they could be around 15 mil in the tax when the roster is filled out.

Then, next year, Zion would get the huge raise so you are 30+ mil in the tax. Year after that, you might be paying Herb. Maybe the cap goes up with TV deal so maybe you are only 10-20 mil in the tax, but still you are in the tax and now its repeater.

Basically, to really go full throttle on that title window, I would tell Mrs. Benson that she should be prepared to spend more than 100 million in luxury tax payments. And not only that, but she wont collect the check from not being in the tax those years. So, at least a 150 million dollar difference between that and the recent norm of just brushing up against the tax line

This is why I said a big part of this equation is our ability to be a REAL tax team. Not a 'dip your toes in the water' tax team. Because after that trade alone, Pels would be about 5 mil in the tax, then they gotta fill out the roster using the taxpayer MLE ideally. Long story short, they could be around 15 mil in the tax when the roster is filled out.

Then, next year, Zion would get the huge raise so you are 30+ mil in the tax. Year after that, you might be paying Herb. Maybe the cap goes up with TV deal so maybe you are only 10-20 mil in the tax, but still you are in the tax and now its repeater.

Basically, to really go full throttle on that title window, I would tell Mrs. Benson that she should be prepared to spend more than 100 million in luxury tax payments. And not only that, but she wont collect the check from not being in the tax those years. So, at least a 150 million dollar difference between that and the recent norm of just brushing up against the tax line
    Griff would have to pull super-salesman tactics to convince Benson of that. And then convince her that the KD situation won't turn into an AD situation. Seems like a tough sell, but maybe the team's big turnaround has an impact.

Suns' owner has been leery of paying the lux tax recently. Not sure about Raptors. So whichever owner is most willing to go deep in the tax, could be a key factor in which trade/team the Nets choose. Interesting wrinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Griff would have to pull super-salesman tactics to convince Benson of that. And then convince her that the KD situation won't turn into an AD situation. Seems like a tough sell, but maybe the team's big turnaround has an impact.

Suns' owner has been leery of paying the lux tax recently. Not sure about Raptors. So whichever owner is most willing to go deep in the tax, could be a key factor in which trade/team the Nets choose. Interesting wrinkle.
    Sarver is notoriously cheap

If she is not willing to go into the tax for a team with Kevin Durant, Zion Williamson and Brandon Ingram then she never will. And the Pelicans will never be a title contending team under current ownership/location. That is the harsh reality of the situation.

I think some of that tax will be offset with higher ticket sales revenue (volume and per unit plus playoffs).

Think a trade of Temple, Graham, Nance Jr, Kira, Hayes, Trey, and 3 to 4 1st rounders for KD will do it?

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Think a trade of Temple, Graham, Nance Jr, Kira, Hayes, Trey, and 3 to 4 1st rounders for KD will do it?
    That would be a nice little appetizer first offer that maybe prevents the Nets from straight hanging up on you. But no, I dont think that comes close to getting it done. I dont think that package of players plus the 6 picks we can offer gets it done

That would be a nice little appetizer first offer that maybe prevents the Nets from straight hanging up on you. But no, I dont think that comes close to getting it done. I dont think that package of players plus the 6 picks we can offer gets it done
    Thanks, but I don’t see how any other team (Mia or Phx) can do any better since they don’t have the draft assets and would be in a worse situation if KD went to to their team after having to give up stars on the team that he just got traded to

For example, most likely Phx will have to give up Booker and Bridges/Johnson

Mia would have to give up either Lowry/Jimmy and Herro

^ if the two above teams have to give up what they give up, then does KD really think those rosters are better than what he could play for in New Orleans?
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 07-04-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Right. But Nets don’t have to take the best deal today. Guy is under contract for 4 years. You don’t have to just beat the other 28 teams, you have to match the Nets expectations. I think this is going to drag out much longer than people think. I even think it’s as likely KD plays his next game as a Net as I do think he plays it for another team

Right. But Nets don’t have to take the best deal today. Guy is under contract for 4 years. You don’t have to just beat the other 28 teams, you have to match the Nets expectations. I think this is going to drag out much longer than people think. I even think it’s as likely KD plays his next game as a Net as I do think he plays it for another team
    Other factors:

Does Durant try to make this situation as toxic as possible to try to force the Nets to trade him? Threaten to sit out?

How badly do Nets ownership and management want to start next season without the chaos? If Durant is still on the roster, everyone in the organization will be asked Durant questions on a daily basis.

Absolutely, but to quite Frank, even from looking at Nets’ point of view, I still think what I offered is the best they are going to get in terms of draft assets from the Pelicans out of all of the teams

And I don’t think they want assets. The Pels only chance, IMO, is to get those assets to a 3rd team who has the marquee player the Nets want. And you gotta find a team with a marquee player who is willing to trade him and also doesn’t want KD.

I think KD is a Net unless the Pels or Raptors flinch and give up BI or Barnes. And I don’t think either of them will do that

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Sarver is notoriously cheap
    Yep, good point. And he's also currently still 'under investigation' - could get Sterling'ed out of ownership. Does that factor into Durant's choice there - and the max trade offer Suns will offer? Very interesting.

And I don’t think they want assets. The Pels only chance, IMO, is to get those assets to a 3rd team who has the marquee player the Nets want. And you gotta find a team with a marquee player who is willing to trade him and also doesn’t want KD.

I think KD is a Net unless the Pels or Raptors flinch and give up BI or Barnes. And I don’t think either of them will do that
    Portland and Dame?
    Last edited by WhyHornetsWhy; 07-04-2022 at 11:27 AM.

And the whole Simmons / Rose-rule extension element really complicates that, too. So if they do key in on a young star like Mitchell or Bam, they would have to send out Simmons somehow.

And the longer the KD trade saga is unresolved, Ayton is still unsigned. Might eventually re-sign with Suns with an agreement they'll try to trade him soon.

Portland and Dame?
    Ainge has come out and said that the Jazz aren’t taking offers for Mitchell (not sure if the Blazers are looking to move Dame).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

You guys can go back and read post #132 and beyond. All this has already been discussed

I don't think the Nets will be all that patient. Not only do you have a toxic situation developing, but if KD gets hurt again playing for the Nets, at his age it would really diminish his value (potentially). It has to be a consideration on their mind

I hope he and Kyrie remain with the Nets. That way the Lakers are likely stuck with Westbrook and the Nets' team is in disarray most of the year without improving other West teams.

If the Lakers are stuck with Westbrook, our Lakers booty is the most valuable asset any of the teams in the running can offer.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

This, which is why I think it's time to talk about other non KD things.

Absolutely, but to quite Frank, even from looking at Nets’ point of view, I still think what I offered is the best they are going to get in terms of draft assets from the Pelicans out of all of the teams
    If draft assets drive this trade New Orleans would very much be in the mix, but James Harden screwed that up.

A massive draft pick package would be good if the plan is to tank but since Houston owns Brooklyn's picks directly or thru swaps for the next several years the goal for Brooklyn is to prioritize high level players moreso than picks that would likely be outside the lottery.

Thread Information