Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Please do not trade Zion or Ingram for Durant

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    No. I wouldn't do that to BI, and like MM, I think BI is a nonstarter in just about any trade.
    Nor do I think Griff would sign up for that AGAIN.
    KD and LeBron are very different people. Willie coached KD. There's an existing relationship that I think makes bringing KD onboard and into our team easier than you might expect.
    Sure, but you're considering politics. I've already mentioned that I think there would be other negative politics with trading Zion for KD.

Purely from an on-court, performance + fit perspective, would you make that trade?
    Basketball.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    This board is funny.
    I remember when most of the people on this board didn't want to trade AD to the Lakers because they wanted absolutely nothing to do with Lonzo or BI.
    I don't even live in New Orleans anymore, but if anyone wants to sell me their season tickets at face value if the Pelicans trade for Durant I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

there's no question that BI shocked most of us - not just with his game but mostly with his character. I had nothing against CJ but he similarly shocked me in turning out to be practically the world's best team-mate in about 10 seconds. Add Herb, Jose, Trey, JV... this team is just seriously likable. I don't want to lose that. Even if it means POSSIBLY winning one title before it all breaks apart. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Here's a question I'd be curious to hear the answer to, from those who are in favour of trading for Durant.

If Lebron came out tomorrow on national television and said he is requesting a trade from the Lakers and would be open to going to XYZ teams, and named the Pelicans, do you make that trade assuming it costs a value roughly equivalent to the deals we've seen bandied about for Durant?

Edit: also assume he said he'd be willing to sign an extension, so the years value would be roughly the same as with Durants.
    My opinion, 2 great players...it would just depend on which one you liked the most. I, personally, have much more of a problem with some of LeBron's "stuff" so I might take Durant BUT not LeBron. Also...From what little I've seen of the Pels, I would be much more comfortable trading Zion for Durant...than trading BI, even though Zion might be the better player.

if zion is the key piece in the trade of KD (or dae's lebron hypothetical) then for sure I am listening and inclined to take it. hayes, kira, temple and graham couldn't go out quick enough to make it happen. effectively kd or lebron for zion and a pick? laughing. if it doesn't happen, I'm fine too, but if kd wanted in and happy to buy into it then lets roll.

If y’all knew for a fact Zion has a high likelihood be seriously injured again, would y’all be more open to trading him?

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    If y’all knew for a fact Zion has a high likelihood be seriously injured again, would y’all be more open to trading him?
    If I were a clairvoyant and knew that he would, for example, never play 60 games in consecutive seasons in his career, or something like that, sure.

If I were a clairvoyant and knew that he would, for example, never play 60 games in consecutive seasons in his career, or something like that, sure.
    Not clairvoyant, but maybe have more access to his medical status than any other team

I see him more of a Embid/Big Z player who has feet issues early in his career, gets it fixed and then plays a long time healthy.

Here's a question I'd be curious to hear the answer to, from those who are in favour of trading for Durant.

If Lebron came out tomorrow on national television and said he is requesting a trade from the Lakers and would be open to going to XYZ teams, and named the Pelicans, do you make that trade assuming it costs a value roughly equivalent to the deals we've seen bandied about for Durant?

Edit: also assume he said he'd be willing to sign an extension, so the years value would be roughly the same as with Durants.
    Lebron and KD are 2 different players. Lebron is ball-dominant, and will relegate everybody else on the court to "stand in the corner and watch" guys. While KD can play ISO ball he has played in a system that shares the ball and he plays off the ball way more than Lebron ever has.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Sure, but you're considering politics. I've already mentioned that I think there would be other negative politics with trading Zion for KD.

Purely from an on-court, performance + fit perspective, would you make that trade?
    If BI, Willie, and Griff were on board, yes.

Like, this is what annoys me about most of the pro-Durant trade arguments.

''Kevin Durant is unreal. Stop playing.''

I'm pretty certain that nobody who is against the Durant trade has taken that stance because they think Durant is bad at basketball. He's not. He's excellent. He's a top 10 player every year, has been for about a decade now - other than the year he missed due to injury, of course. Why claim that people who disagree with you are ''playing'', instead of having a legitimate disagreement about the team and its future?
    Shamit is trolling.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Lebron and KD are 2 different players. Lebron is ball-dominant, and will relegate everybody else on the court to "stand in the corner and watch" guys. While KD can play ISO ball he has played in a system that shares the ball and he plays off the ball way more than Lebron ever has.
    Sure, I'm asking an opinion. No is a valid answer (and also the most common answer I've got from people outside of this board).

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Shamit is trolling.
    Pretty dedicated troll.

Sure, I'm asking an opinion. No is a valid answer (and also the most common answer I've got from people outside of this board).
    Just giving reasons for my "no" answer in case the follow-up was "well, why?".

Not clairvoyant, but maybe have more access to his medical status than any other team
    And you think the Nets would take him without having him checked medically? Let's be realistic in the hypotheticals.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Just giving reasons for my "no" answer in case the follow-up was "well, why?".
    That's fair. I was just curious to pitch it to the people on here because almost everyone I've spoken to in real life and on twitter has said no, despite there being (in my mind) more similarities than differences between the two scenarios in terms of what they add to the team with regards to raised ceilings. So I found it interesting that most people who say yes to Durant say no to Lebron, despite the fact that the outcome between the two would most likely be similar imo.

That's fair. I was just curious to pitch it to the people on here because almost everyone I've spoken to in real life and on twitter has said no, despite there being (in my mind) more similarities than differences between the two scenarios in terms of what they add to the team with regards to raised ceilings. So I found it interesting that most people who say yes to Durant say no to Lebron, despite the fact that the outcome between the two would most likely be similar imo.
    For me its just their style of play. If we had a team full of vets that were mostly 3nD/catch and shooters, then maybe Lebron would be a better option. But we have a team full of young guys that share the ball, and a couple playmakers would also be on the floor (assuming BI and CJ stay). We don't need Lebron and his high usage and ball-dominance. Lebron has never in his damn near 20 years in the league shown that he can play primarily off the ball. He's never been a catch-n-shoot guy.

But Durant... even in OKC showed that he can be a part of an offense rather than be THE offense. And yes the outcome could possibly be the same but we'd be much more lethal offense with KD.

With all of that being said I don't think we should make the trade. While KD hasn't necessarily been a "problem" I just don't want to mess with the culture that Willie has built.

A couple years ago Shamit would crap on BI every chance he got. If BI had a very negative basic box +/- or negative net rating he'd screen shot it.

However, would be totally silent if he had good game.

If you take someone like that seriously then that's on you.

Please do trade either Zion or BI for KD.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    A couple years ago Shamit would crap on BI every chance he got. If BI had a very negative basic box +/- or negative net rating he'd screen shot it.

However, would be totally silent if he had good game.

If you take someone like that seriously then that's on you.
    I remember him going after folks on Twitter who called him out on it too. It was hilarious, and so unprofessional.

You only make that trade if someone wants out and I don’t think that’s the case

KD feels like AD to me. I would never trust he would be here for more than a year before forcing his way out. I would trust those in the know if Zion wants to be here or at least does for 3-4 years. If so I can't make the trade. KD on a 4 yr contract doesn't mean much it seems in this day and age. If KD had us listed in his top three and Zion was still distant it would be different. Zion has been here this summer and doing the right things though

The Franchise
    We could get KD and then trade him if it doesn’t workout and still get a decent haul back. Imagine next summer trading him for any of these packages being offered.

Anything that is negative, critical, or goes against the popular narrative is written off as trolling

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Okay, but flip it. Durant is somehow already here and you got him locked in happy for four years with these guys. Nets call with a guy who has played less than 90 games in three years and is about to get a max. You think you would be on this message board saying, ?we gotta trade our guy for him!!?

Like I said yesterday - BI is a non starter for me because he bought all the way into this franchise and lives and breathes their culture. Zion? I?d listen

Durant is definitely top 10 all time player and he is very much the most gifted scorer of all time. His length is unbelievable. I'm not big on his attitude, but you can't hate his work ethic or dedication to basketball. Playing for the title and getting hurt was a big deal to me, didn't think he had that in him.

I don't want to trade anyone for him, but frankly Zion had to be convinced last year to be a halfway decent teammate and show up and his family isn't gonna change. Griff knows far better how likely Zion is to stay here happily and healthy for the next 4 years. If Durant wants to come then you got to consider that and Zion attitude is a huge consideration..

I also know KD will be able to fit in to any system basketball wise and he will play defense. I'm unsure how Zion will fit into BI's team. No way I trade Ingram but Zion is definitely a concern for me on every level so I'm open to that at the least.. wish I was not though. Wish Zion and his family were happy here and model team players dedicated to just winning and being here and making it work no matter what. I just don't get that feeling now and I'm not sure I ever will. I think he was excited by our team at the end of the year, but damn it's easy to be on board when things are going great. Ingram and the guys got on board when things were a disaster and MADE them great..
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Thread Information