Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you Trade in the Lakers picks now or hold?

Would you Trade in the Lakers picks now or hold?

I remember a convo on this board back in 2011 when we first got the Timberwolves unprotected 2012 pick, which at the time was seen as one of the best assets in the league. We debated for a few pages about whether we should sell that pick or let it ride. Most were on the side of let it ride and to give you an idea of the value most thought it had, the question was posed as to whether we should trade it back to the Wolves for Kevin Love and the vast majority said no. That pick eventually became 10th, and Austin Rivers, and the rest is history

Cut to today and after the Kyrie news, it looks like the Pels have another great pick coming from the Lakers via swap next draft and potentially another great pick either in 2024 or 2025. But the potential is always there for the Lakers to be better than expected and/or the draft class to be worse than expected. So, with that said, would you consider trading those picks now, and if so, what is the minimum you would take in return? I will start:

Jonas, Graham, Hayes, and both Lakers picks for Bam Adebayo

Yes, I am aware the Heat would say no, but this is the minimum I would give the picks up for. Of course, anybody better I would happily part with the picks. Again, this is my minimum. What about the rest of you?
    @mcnamara247

I don't think I'd be interested in moving next year's swap, at least not quite yet, unless it was for overwhelming value. I think it's the last pick we can have any sort of confidence in predicting would be good (that is: bad), as the Lakers don't really seem to have any clear pathway to improvement and I don't trust their current core to be legitimately impactful in the West. After that though, yeah I wouldn't be averse to moving them for the right price.

Would the right price be Bam Adebayo? Well if he was on the market sure, he's great, but as you say that's unlikely so in the end I probably don't move off the asset, but I'm open to it if the right deal comes up. To be clear, I would take the deal you've outlined in the OP but as you also mentioned, that would never go through so it's kind of a moot point.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think I'd be interested in moving next year's swap, at least not quite yet, unless it was for overwhelming value. I think it's the last pick we can have any sort of confidence in predicting would be good (that is: bad), as the Lakers don't really seem to have any clear pathway to improvement and I don't trust their current core to be legitimately impactful in the West. After that though, yeah I wouldn't be averse to moving them for the right price.

Would the right price be Bam Adebayo? Well if he was on the market sure, he's great, but as you say that's unlikely so in the end I probably don't move off the asset, but I'm open to it if the right deal comes up. To be clear, I would take the deal you've outlined in the OP but as you also mentioned, that would never go through so it's kind of a moot point.
    Every deal proposed on a fan forum is 1000x more likely to not happen than to happen. The exercise is to just get an idea of how valuable people think the picks are, risk averseness, postulating whether this is peak value now or if the stock is still likely to go up, etc.

If I were a GM of another team right now, I would basically look at the Pelicans 2023 pick (with right to swap) as the 10th pick in the 2023 NBA Draft. And based on initial scouting of that draft, the 10th pick in 2023 would have about the same value as the 6th pick in this past 2022 draft. So, that is the value I would place on the pick if talking trades with the Pels. That Lakers 2024/25 pick, I would place a little less value on I think, because while I get two shots at the apple, I also see the Lakers with a ton of cap space in the proceeding summers. That said, Lebron could also just leave and the Lakers might not be able to replace him the first few summers, similar to when they trade to get FA's post Kobe. Also, other bottom feeders in the West like Houston and OKC could be good by then and jump the Lakers.

So, I think other GM's might give you equivalent to the value of two mid lotto picks if you put those on the table. And you can get Jerami Grant players for much less than one of those. So, I think two mid lotto picks should get you a quasi All Star player. Now, if you wait and one of those jump into the top 4, then you are talking them being worth All NBA level players.

Just a fun thought exercise. Same with Herb, and to a lesser extent Jose and some others. There is a good argument that those guys will never have more trade value than they do now, at the beginning of their contracts having shown flashes of greatness in their first seasons. But they were old rookies and there are tons of examples of old rookies coming in and playing great, and that pretty much being 95% of their eventual ceiling.

Normally I'm a let it ride type of guy as I feel the draft offer the best chance at building a championship level team. This may be a case that for the right player you cash in. That CJ trade put us on a clock. We have to start winning big sooner rather than later.

Season Ticket Holder
    For salary cap reasons, I do not want to trade the Lakers swap and pick. We need to keep adding cost-controlled players. I like what this organization is building. I'm buying ALL of David Griffin's bull.

Also, as a fan, it is fun to have a motivation to root against AD/Bron/Lakers. I can root against them cause I'm petty. But its nice to have some skin in the game.

I'm not trading it right now unless you're getting an Adebayo-level big in return. I need to see the CJ-BI-Herb-Zion-JV lineup at least once before I can decide its ceiling, and before I can even decide whether those pieces fit. Again, as you basically said, development isn't linear. It's very possible Herb takes a step back shooting the 3, at which point he may no longer be a starting caliber wing.

I'm in wait and see mode right now. If Herb isn't what we think he is, then I would be ok with moving those Laker picks for someone who is that guy. Focus on internal development this summer, but be ready to pivot if the right guy comes to market.

The ideal would be someone with 2-3 years left on the rookie deal that we dont have to pay big money to until the cap goes up with the new TV deal, as Zion and BIs deals are locked in at what will be a crazy good value. And while it sounds crazy that a team would trade one of those guys, the Kings already traded Haliburton, we trade Buddy after one year, the Hawks traded Reddish, etc. What if you could get in on a Maxey trade, where the Sixers were getting the star and instead of Maxey the other team wanted to be bad and also take the Lakers picks? Something like:

Sixers get: Mitchell, Graham and Hayes
    Jazz get: Kira, Tobias Harris, Sixers picks and Lakers picks
    Pels get: Maxey and Korkmaz

Morey dont care about fit, just gets stars. Jazz do a Gobert trade after this and totally rebuild. Pels get another dog, another long term piece who also makes them better now. Yeah, we couldve just drafted Maxey, but oh well. This one would be tough for me, but if I could get CJ to accept a modest 1-2 year extension, I would do it and then plan on paying Maxey big in 3 years. Maxey-Daniels-Trey-BI-Herb-Zion core long term that also can win big in the immediate. I think I would

Beyond the obvious superstars, that would be a short list. I think Mobley, Barnes, Cade begin the real discussion, although probably not for those teams. A. Edwards definitely would have to be in the discussion. Chet is the gamble, but fits the criteria. Paolo for overall talent. Maybe Jabari.

SGA could fit the bill, if he's not mad about Pels trading away his cousin. J. Jackson Jr. barely misses the cut, but is in the mix. That's about it. Young-enough player who's shown true star potential so far, with room to get a lot better. Personality: mature, team-first but knows when to assert himself, no drama or Klutch rep.

Jabari was probably the guy to do it for if the Pels were actually interested in going this direction

I think they likely push most of their eggs in the basket in next years draft

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The ideal would be someone with 2-3 years left on the rookie deal that we dont have to pay big money to until the cap goes up with the new TV deal, as Zion and BIs deals are locked in at what will be a crazy good value. And while it sounds crazy that a team would trade one of those guys, the Kings already traded Haliburton, we trade Buddy after one year, the Hawks traded Reddish, etc. What if you could get in on a Maxey trade, where the Sixers were getting the star and instead of Maxey the other team wanted to be bad and also take the Lakers picks? Something like:

Sixers get: Mitchell, Graham and Hayes
    Jazz get: Kira, Tobias Harris, Sixers picks and Lakers picks
    Pels get: Maxey and Korkmaz

Morey dont care about fit, just gets stars. Jazz do a Gobert trade after this and totally rebuild. Pels get another dog, another long term piece who also makes them better now. Yeah, we couldve just drafted Maxey, but oh well. This one would be tough for me, but if I could get CJ to accept a modest 1-2 year extension, I would do it and then plan on paying Maxey big in 3 years. Maxey-Daniels-Trey-BI-Herb-Zion core long term that also can win big in the immediate. I think I would
    So Maxey is indeed a 'dawg,' seems to be about all the right things. And yet, his agency is Klutch / Rich Paul. Can you really commit so heavily with future assets on a Klutch client at this point in the timeline? Same reason I never saw D. Murray as a target possibility. Post- AD saga, Lonzo, and Ben Simmons fiasco... After rebuilding locker-room Team culture to all time highs-- I just can't see Griff wanting to do such high stakes business with that agency again. And I wouldn't want to, either.

Questioning a guys “dawg” because he’s represented by Klutch is strange

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    So Maxey is indeed a 'dawg,' seems to be about all the right things. And yet, his agency is Klutch / Rich Paul. Can you really commit so heavily with future assets on a Klutch client at this point in the timeline? Same reason I never saw D. Murray as a target possibility. Post- AD saga, Lonzo, and Ben Simmons fiasco... After rebuilding locker-room Team culture to all time highs-- I just can't see Griff wanting to do such high stakes business with that agency again. And I wouldn't want to, either.
    You can’t discriminate on a whole agency, IMO. You would be cutting of a SIGNIFICANT amount of players, other agencies would take note as well

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Questioning a guys “dawg” because he’s represented by Klutch is strange
    That's how you interpreted that? Interesting. So I'm not questioning Maxey as the player or person at all. It's all about his agent / agency / camp. We've seen how much of a distraction that can be for an organization, and for the player.

Would do it with both Maxey, Garland, Haliburton. Argument being after next year I don’t the team focusing on developing young players anymore. Focusing resources on deep playoff runs in the immediate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    That's how you interpreted that? Interesting. So I'm not questioning Maxey as the player or person at all. It's all about his agent / agency / camp. We've seen how much of a distraction that can be for an organization, and for the player.
    Lol yea I mean the “And yet” following your opening statement leads me to believe that you’re doubting that statement, but I see what you’re saying now

I feel like I'm lower on Dejounte than most. He's a 6'4, 25 year-old guard who is the engine of a bad team. He can't shoot it well either.

I think at most he's a 3rd best guy but he wants a lot of money in the future and I wouldn't want to pay him that.

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    You can’t discriminate on a whole agency, IMO. You would be cutting of a SIGNIFICANT amount of players, other agencies would take note as well
    We were one of the few teams this past season without even 1 client of Klutch. So is that already agency discrimination? Not to swear off ever signing their players, but it seems reasonable that David Griffin would have reservations about giving up our few prized remaining draft picks for one a Klutch clients, out of all the players of equal or greater talent in the league, but without the questionable agency history.

For role-players like Corey Joseph, KCP, maybe even Trent Jr. level player -- sure, we can do business at that level. But I don't see David Griffin being eager to jump into a long-term partnership with Klutch over one of the team's core players like Maxey.

Offseason headline, 2023: Maxey and Klutch frustrated with role, exploring options

"Aside from expecting a max contract, Maxey is reportedly frustrated with his role on the Pelicans. He and his agent Rich Paul feel he should be a # 1 or # 2 option on a contending team, and that just isn't going to happen on a team with Zion, Ingram and CJ McCullom. Agent Rich Paul has given David Griffin and the Pelicans a list of preferred teams he'd like to be moved to."

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfox View Post
    I feel like I'm lower on Dejounte than most. He's a 6'4, 25 year-old guard who is the engine of a bad team. He can't shoot it well either.

I think at most he's a 3rd best guy but he wants a lot of money in the future and I wouldn't want to pay him that.
    I see him at equivalent value to Jrue Holiday when we traded him. Very good third banana on a team that has 2 other guys who can score it. If I were Boston, I would be unloading every asset I have, plus Smart, for Murray. Toronto should as well too, as well as Atlanta.

It’s a shame that Morrey blew his wad on Harden because Murray’s fit would be beautiful next to Embiid and Maxey

To your point, there’s a reason we went with Kira over Maxey. Take that for what you will

Hmm. Im just curious, do the Pels have a target already set that they wanna go after, this or next year?

To your point, there’s a reason we went with Kira over Maxey. Take that for what you will
    Right? One day, ten years from now, we'll get a 30 for 30 documentary on the Griff / Rich Paul relationship and battles over the years (LBJ Cavs, AD trade, Lonzo standoff). Would love to hear their uncensored thoughts about that.

And it's a shame because it has nothing to do with which of the two is better at basketball.

The most obvious need I'd target (assuming we can't pry loose an All Star-level player) would be a scoring/shooting sixth man off the bench, the role Graham was supposed to play.

In that direction, I'd consider moving one of the Laker picks (possibly with protections) for a guy like Maxey or Immanuel Quickley or maybe Tre Mann if the Thunder are looking to get a pick back. On the veteran front, with the right structure, I'd be willing to look at Jordan Clarkson, Kevin Huerter, Joe Harris or Grayson Allen, who is on a very good deal for the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfox View Post

He's a 6'4 point guard (perfectly reasonable height for a PG, by the way; taller than any PG we have on the roster right now unless you count Dyson) with a 6'10 wingspan who has been among the league leaders in STL% for each of the last 4 years, has a great AST/TO ratio (40%AST to only 11%TOV last season) whose teams have been consistently much better with him on the court than with him off.

It's not like 25 is old either, it's very much still young. Old enough that you have some idea of who the player is, sure, but with Murray that's good: a really strong defender who racks up steals and passes well without turning it over, who shoots the midrange exceptionally well but who doesn't shoot particularly well from behind the arc.

I agree that I'm not on the Dejounte hype train, it's not like I view him as an all-NBA calibre guy or anything, but the appeal is super obvious. Lots of good stuff going for him and I'd go for it if the price was reasonable enough; it just isn't. Reportedly, Spurs want four unprotected firsts for him, which is ridiculous.

Thread Information